Massive oil leak after rear main and oil pan gasket changed

05_LJ

Supporting Member
Hello - I had my transmission rebuilt and also had the oil pump replaced, oil pan/gasket and rear main gasket replaced. We have redone the rear main and oil pan gasket twice now and know those are in fact sealed. For some reason up behind there I am loosing oil like crazy. Any ideas what could be the cause? I know there is a threaded bolt up there for the channel(see pic) but really need some ideas.

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8616.jpeg

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I did my rear main four times...three FelPros...Mopar finally did the trick...that and I went nuts with red Loctite.

Was dry for about 4 months...then rear ended, tub and frame swap and a 1600 mile road/wheeling trip to Canada and back down the WABDR in the middle of a summer heat wave...now it's weeping again.

I think my next rear main seal might be on a 5.3 LS.

-Mac

Just following up. We decided to pull everything and did a smoke test. The timkin seal keeps leaking. Switching seals.

The photo shows the leak at the bottom but the smoke test shows a larger portion of the seal leaking.

IMG_8763.jpeg

Reactions: macleanflood
Switched to mopar seal and it worked! Had a leak coming from starter as well because so much oil was slung into it. Got really lucky with the OEM seal. There was only one on the east coast and it was 30 miles from home.

So the thing here is that some say these “just leak”, well that is not true, you need the correct seal.

Thanks all.

Switched to mopar seal and it worked! Had a leak coming from starter as well because so much oil was slung into it. Got really lucky with the OEM seal. There was only one on the east coast and it was 30 miles from home.

So the thing here is that some say these “just leak”, well that is not true, you need the correct seal.

Thanks all.

Give it 20k miles and it'll be seeping again!!

Keep using a high mileage oil though!

After changing rear main seal, oil pan gasket, I still had a small leak coming out from near the starter. Turns out that when I had my transmission rebuilt, they used the old seals you can see in the bell housing. Took the trans down and changed those two seals and all oil leaks are gone.

I also used Mopar gaskets in all places and this 2005 Lj no longer has a leak.

Just wanted to add this because it’s not always rear main or valve cover. Also, there are terrible techs out there that use old seals or off brand seals.
IMG_9173.jpeg

IMG_9344.jpeg

Reactions: macleanflood
I'm sure that means it's trash and not worth the words I'm typing then 😆 Might be a good option for me with my 3" exhaust since I can't fit the Savvy engine skid that I have that goes with my Savvy TT. Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: ColoJeep
I'm sure that means it's trash and not worth the words I'm typing then 😆 Might be a good option for me with my 3" exhaust since I can't fit the Savvy engine skid that I have that goes with my Savvy TT. Thanks!

I have a similar issue...I can't run the angle iron on the passenger side of the engine skid with the turbo. I need to run an arched angle-iron or something that fits around the exhaust. Haven't properly tried to solve it yet, but it's on my list of things I need to figure out.

Not sure. I’ve had great luck with MetalCloak. This fit easy with the stock exhaust I have.

Watching this guy's video on the product page makes it more difficult for me to consider.

(very punchable)

Screen Shot 2023-11-27 at 6.23.09 PM.png

Edit: I'm biased though, always preferred Savvy-designz for their minimalistic website and instructions.

Last edited: