Mastercraft vs PRP seats (pros and cons)

I have a 1997 TJ and have the Mastercraft base adapters for those years. The standoff is just over 1" but as @DrDmoney said I like how the seat sit in the Jeep.

20221109_231941.jpg

20221109_231957.jpg

20221109_232016.jpg

Let me know what other measurements you might want.

And Welcome to the forum also.

Something to add here with the Mastercraft seats, they do offer an "extra tall" version that comes with a longer seat back. I'm 5'11" and the top of my head goes a little bit higher than the top of the head rest on the Baja RS. I'm pretty sure you can request the extra tall version if you call Mastercraft to place your order.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Something to add here with the Mastercraft seats, they do offer an "extra tall" version that comes with a longer seat back. I'm 5'11" and the top of my head goes a little bit higher than the top of the head rest on the Baja RS. I'm pretty sure you can request the extra tall version if you call Mastercraft to place your order.

Unless something has changed recently, a few of us have contacted Mastercraft Safety and were informed that they no longer offer a taller seat back.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Hello everyone. My first post. Great forum. Glad I found it! I'm currently dealing with the seat upgrade conundrum. I agree that one should definitely sit in a seat before buying it. I took a trip to PRP when I was down in southern California recently and didn't love their seats. I found them all to be well made and quite comfortable, but there was something about each one that bugged me enough to not buy, or at least try a few more brands before making a decision. I haven't had a chance to sit in a Mastercraft seat yet.

I'd welcome any thoughts on how PRP and Mastercraft's seats are different in terms of fit. My main question, however, pertains to mounting. My mechanic talked me into into some seats he likes that proved to be all kinds of wrong. Long story short, he modified the seat mounting brackets and I'm going to need to replace them before I get new seats.

I've got a 99 TJ but am thinking about getting the 03-06 brackets. My understanding is that most aftermarket seats get raised at least an inch when used with the 97-02 brackets, but that the 03-06 brackets keep the seat closer to factory height. Is that true? Since I'm replacing the brackets anyway, should I stick with my model year's bracket or go 03-06? Thoughts?

From the footwell to the seat

27621E8A-500E-4A71-B13E-5F6554B39AC2.jpeg

01049C63-DDC6-4D7D-84ED-6791F7C617FC.jpeg

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
Unless something has changed recently, a few of us have contacted Mastercraft Safety and were informed that they no longer offer a taller seat back.

Well that's a bummer. I was unaware of this...:(

I just read through this thread and didn't see anything about the tilt forward feature. Do the brackets on any of these aftermarket seats allow you to tilt the seat forward like the OEMs?

The Mastercraft seats I have use the factory seat base and came with hardware to preserve the fold/tumble capability. Not sure if that's the case with all or just some.

Reactions: SvtLdr
I just read through this thread and didn't see anything about the tilt forward feature. Do the brackets on any of these aftermarket seats allow you to tilt the seat forward like the OEMs?
The tilt and fold mechanism is in the seat base itself, not the seat. My PRP seats still tilt/fold the same as before.

Just for the record I have the Mastercraft cheap seats that you buy in pairs. I have had them for a couple years and they are tough. They can get very wet, and so far no fading or old age spots. I got them because they are cheap. They dont do anything but sit stationary