Mastertop Skymaster

I really want to like the top, but man it is noisey AF. I had a stock and bestop on my old Wrangler and neither one was as noisey as this top.
That is good info that will save people some money and heartache.(y) i hate looking at Amazon reviews of people who installed a top 5 minutes earlier.

Well I'm going to change my opinion of this top. I really like the way it looks and it appeared to be decent quality, but the amount of noise this top generates on the highway is off the charts. At 50mph you can't hear yourself think. At 60mph and above it sounds like you're in the middle of a hurricane and the top is about to rip off.
I have tried adjusting it without any success. I even had the trim shop by work look at it.

I contacted both Mastertop and Quadratec and am waiting on replies from both. I will probably be returning this to quadratec and exchanging it for a Bestop.

man that sucks. I ordered the same top in early June and it still hasn't even shipped, and the estimated ship date has now moved out to July 22nd. Might just cancel and order the bestop. I was really looking forward to trying out Twill; I've only had black diamond so far.

man that sucks. I ordered the same top in early June and it still hasn't even shipped, and the estimated ship date has now moved out to July 22nd. Might just cancel and order the bestop. I was really looking forward to trying out Twill; I've only had black diamond so far.

Quadratec does have them in stock according to their website, if you want to risk it.
I really like the looks of the top and it seems well made. It's just god aweful loud compared to a stock soft top.
I was in my brothers JK today, he has a bestop Trektop on his and it's a whole lot quieter.

Well I'm going to change my opinion of this top. I really like the way it looks and it appeared to be decent quality, but the amount of noise this top generates on the highway is off the charts. At 50mph you can't hear yourself think. At 60mph and above it sounds like you're in the middle of a hurricane and the top is about to rip off.
I have tried adjusting it without any success. I even had the trim shop by work look at it.

I contacted both Mastertop and Quadratec and am waiting on replies from both. I will probably be returning this to quadratec and exchanging it for a Bestop.
Not sure if it will help with this top, but I have found that my Quadratec replacement top is loud as hell on the highway, but if I put the fan speed to three and choose outside air (as opposed to recirculate) the pressure inside builds up just enough to lesson the noise. When it's on recirculate, the side windows get sucked in and she's boomy and LOUD. But, select outside air and turn the fan speed up and the side windows puff out like a balloon and the noise level, although still loud, is much more tolerable. Just a suggestion to try before you write the top off.

Not sure if it will help with this top, but I have found that my Quadratec replacement top is loud as hell on the highway, but if I put the fan speed to three and choose outside air (as opposed to recirculate) the pressure inside builds up just enough to lesson the noise. When it's on recirculate, the side windows get sucked in and she's boomy and LOUD. But, select outside air and turn the fan speed up and the side windows puff out like a balloon and the noise level, although still loud, is much more tolerable. Just a suggestion to try before you write the top off.
Thanks for the reply. I tried this but it didn't help.

Reactions: ExitLeft
Just received an email from Jerry @ Master top. He is going to call me on Monday.
Update.... Never received the phone call. The last interaction I had with Jerry was that he was "stumped" and would check with the factory and get back to me.

I tried re-adjusting the top several times, without any success.

The local trim shop we deal with said, he feels the material is too thin and keeps stretching.

I did email Master Top two more times and did not receive anymore replies.

I contacted Quadratec and am returning it. I guess I'll be spending the extra $$$ for a Bestop

I think there's another quality option for a fastback style soft top besides Bestop Trektop. I'll admit installation could have been easier if I waited until the summer but I sold my hardtop and needed some coverage. Luckily, I have a heated garage but I still struggled and I'm hoping that some of the minor wrinkles will diminish over time.

Mastertop has great customer service, too. I had an issue with one of the door surrounds. I was able to make it work but an email to Mastertop and I received a response within 2 hours. They are shipping a new door surround, no further questions asked.

View attachment 221706

View attachment 221707

View attachment 221708

View attachment 221709

View attachment 221710
Those steps are pretty slick. Anyone know more about them?

I know a lot of people dislike Quadratec, but they handled my top issue very well.

I reviewed the issue with the girl in customer service (sorry forgot her name), told her what was going on.

She asked a few specific questions regarding the top material, then said it sounds like you received a bad top.

She offered me some options,
1) refund
2) exchange for the same top
3) exchange for a different top

So I guess I'm glutton for punishment because I chose to try another Master Top.

I received a return shipping label via e-mail within 5 minutes of our phone conversation yesterday.
And.... FexEx just dropped off the new top at 9am this morning.

She told me if I'm not happy with the replacement top, they will do whatever they need to do to make it right.

I’ve been pretty happy with mine, happy to send pics of my header/alignment if that helps.

I’ve been pretty happy with mine, happy to send pics of my header/alignment if that helps.
Thanks, but hopefully I think I got it covered. I had the top installed and aligned right. The material appeared to be stretching to much.
The girl at quadratec asked me very specific questions regarding the material. I told her the Twill material seems very thin and flimsy compared to my original sailcloth material. She also asked what the inside of the material looked like. When I gave her my reply, she said..... you got a bad top.

We'll see what happens after I install this one. If it's just as bad, I'll pay the difference for the Bestop Replace-a-top

So, I've been wheeling, trailering, & driving my Jeep to events now for a few months where rear and side plastics come on and off frequently. I've learned that leaving the header bar disconnected and the quarter panels un-clipped from the door surrounds makes zipping the rear plastic to the quarter panels alot easier.

I've also been using the Mastertop storage bag but the three sides cannot roll up without removing the plastic corner supports to the quarter panels and the tailgate bar needs to be removed from the rear window. Having 3 loose pieces floating around is pretty much the only complaint I have.

I don't have the top for my TJ yet.. going to order this weekend. I had the Trektop Nx on my JK and would take the plastic corner supports out for summer, when I am likely to be rolling them and put them back in for winter. it was a wee bit saggy, but when zipped in the windows stayed reasonably flat and whole lot easier to deal with on all counts.

IMG_0064.JPG

I've toiled with whether to get the Mastertop in Twill (actually ordered and canceled it twice) or the Trektop in Black Diamond, which is what I had on the JK. I'm going to go with the Trektop. Searching for the best price. I love the look of Twill and think it is likely quieter, but to my eyes it is out of place on the TJ. I have a few cans of Duplicolor Vinyl and Cloth paint and will do the inside of the Trektop when time allows.

I also ordered the Mastertop window roll and returned it. Far too bulky. I'll stick with a large beach towel, as it works fine and is a multi use item.