Mastertop Skymaster

last question, have you been able todo something like this ~2.20

top.png

I don't believe the TJ fastback style soft tops are capable of doing that. The hinged point of the "sunrider" feature is attached to the door surrounds aft of the B-pillar location. The structure supporting the top, above the door surrounds is one solid piece. If you look at picture #2, post #5, you can see the front section of the top, when folded back is just about half the top itself so there's really no point.

Weather in my area hasn't been too conducive of "going topless" so I haven't tried various top configurations.

However, my gears are turning... Locking bimini tube hinges...
https://budgetmarine.com/catalog/de...dware/tube-hinge-ss-bimini-fem-fem-o1-w-lock/

I've included a couple photos of where the quarter panels meet the top where in these areas velcro is used. While I cannot compare it to bestop, I find the velcro works just fine and there's plenty of overlap. However, you can see on both sides, I've added a straight-across rear bar and the locking collars are a bit wider in diameter than my padding. it's preventing these two areas from full overlap of the top to the quarter panels, hence part of the velcro is exposed.

20210429_193641_resized.jpg

20210429_193645_resized.jpg

20210429_193819_resized.jpg

20210429_193827_resized.jpg

Reactions: red02tj
Well the flip your top mod certainly gives you alot of options with the Mastertop skymaster or Bestop trektop. I like that along with the mesh screen. The only thing is, with the mesh screen, seems like there's no way to secure it to the roll bar and might create a large wind sail on the road?

It needs to warm up before I tackle the door again! But since it uses the original frame HW it’s also attached via Velcro loop the runs the width of the top and the mesh screen is below it. That + a of pair 1in webbings I’m hoping keep it down.
PS how long did it take until you could zipper and velco everything flush and lined up?

It took a couple tries. Again, I installed in a heated garage in January. I had to crank the heat up to 70 and it was difficult. Seeing your sig suggests your from ATL. Let that top cook in the sun.

So far I'm happy with the purchase. It's relatively quiet (not hardtop quite) at highway speeds. Mastertops customer service is top notch. Windows sides and rear is a bitc# to put on but I've read that all frameless ones are. Overtime, slight wrinkles in the plastic have disappeared.

I can't compare it to Bestop's twill but I've seen a black denim trektop NX. While Bestop will probably have the upper hand, I wanted a soft-top in twill with matching upper half doors. Bestop doesn't offer. Mastertops Twill half door skins had poor fitment at first but I modified the door frames for better fitment.

Dissapponted to hear that the windows were difficult to install. Ive been fighting my Trektop rear window zippers to the point that I'm selling it. I know they have to be tight, but the stock top just goes up so easily.

Also, I'd love to hear your long term review, especially if the windows stretch out a bit.

After about a week in the Georgia sun (when it hasn’t been raining) the top and windows have stretched out nicely and everything is laying flush and zipped and Velcroed as expected. I’ve also been leak free with all the recent rains. Overall I’m pretty pleased, plus I had a few pre-purchase questions and I was able to email and call the Mastertop office in Colorado and was pleasantly surprised to speak to people stateside and who knew their product.

Reactions: sierradmax
Not sure what's considered long term... This product hasn't been out more than a year.. I haven't attempted to remove-reinstall rear or side plastics yet. Still haven't seen a day above 70 yet...

After about a week in the Georgia sun (when it hasn’t been raining) the top and windows have stretched out nicely and everything is laying flush and zipped and Velcroed as expected. I’ve also been leak free with all the recent rains. Overall I’m pretty pleased, plus I had a few pre-purchase questions and I was able to email and call the Mastertop office in Colorado and was pleasantly surprised to speak to people stateside and who knew their product.
That’s good to hear. Did you have any issues with the rear window and tailgate bar not sealing properly with the tailgate? My new rear Trektop window pulls at the tailgate bar, and there is a gap that lets rain in. I’m missing the large sun rider that these tops have.

Not sure what's considered long term... This product hasn't been out more than a year.. I haven't attempted to remove-reinstall rear or side plastics yet. Still haven't seen a day above 70 yet...
Thanks. I’d be interested to hear about everyone’s experience this summer with window removal and installation.

That’s good to hear. Did you have any issues with the rear window and tailgate bar not sealing properly with the tailgate? My new rear Trektop window pulls at the tailgate bar, and there is a gap that lets rain in. I’m missing the large sun rider that these tops have.
It’s raining again…everything is fitting as it should and no leaks.

4B46D2D5-0A1B-4415-8A28-91B2D404C1E1.jpeg

ADB3A737-61BE-4DC7-BEF2-3E668E6F477B.jpeg

D44180C1-EE6C-45A8-AB1C-DE0C2EED9028.jpeg

8067365F-BCCA-44CC-835D-939A64C925B1.jpeg

I noticed over the weekend that the right side tailgate bar pops out of the "clip" sometimes, whenever the tailgate is opened. Closed, however, it remains tight and sealed.

I would love to see how the LJ version looks. I like the idea that it uses the o.e. softop frame with the rear bow removed.

I use my hardtop pretty much year round. I do have the softop frame assembly. So..... at the price point of 499.00 it might be worth looking into.

I just don't want to drop 1k on a Bestop that I might use a couple months out of the year.

I would love to see how the LJ version looks. I like the idea that it uses the o.e. softop frame with the rear bow removed.

I use my hardtop pretty much year round. I do have the softop frame assembly. So..... at the price point of 499.00 it might be worth looking into.

I just don't want to drop 1k on a Bestop that I might use a couple months out of the year.
Quadratec has a user photo of an LJ with the full top and hardware, but not the one using the existing frame with modifications. And, I don’t know how that would work anyhow, removing the rear bow in an LJ. The rear bow is the main support, unlike a TJ, which has 2 separate bows. So I’m interested in seeing this version as well.