Mastertop Skymaster

Quadratec has a user photo of an LJ with the full top and hardware, but not the one using the existing frame with modifications. And, I don’t know how that would work anyhow, removing the rear bow in an LJ. The rear bow is the main support, unlike a TJ, which has 2 separate bows. So I’m interested in seeing this version as well.
Well I was the Guinea Pig and ordered the top. They now have a revised version that uses just the header and door surrounds.
they supply rods and brackets. Install was pretty straight forward and it fits nice. the quality if the material is very good.
The only thing I'm not to thrilled about is the flapping noise at 30 mph and up.
thumbnail_IMG_2559.jpg

Last edited:
I have an overhead cage. Stuck a piece of pool noodle between the top and the cage and it helps.

Let us know how it works out. My Rampage zippers aren’t looking like a reliable long term item so I’ll be top shopping eventually.

Well I was the Guinea Pig and ordered the top. They now have a revised version that uses just the header and door surrounds.
they supply rods and brackets. Install was pretty straight forward and it fits nice. the quality if the material is very good.
The only thing I'm not to thrilled about is the flapping noise at 40 mph and up.
View attachment 257773

Which model did you get by chance?
Also, so the Bestop Trektop includes a header bar to prevent flapping, so that will be an added cost with this top.

Which model did you get by chance?
Also, so the Bestop Trektop includes a header bar to prevent flapping, so that will be an added cost with this top.
I bought part #15701024 — Top, No Doorskins, Tinted Glass, 04-06 LJ Unl. Wrangler, Black MasterTwill.
It allowed me to use my door surrounds and the header from my original LJ softop frame.

Its a very nice top for the money.

I bought part #15701024 — Top, No Doorskins, Tinted Glass, 04-06 LJ Unl. Wrangler, Black MasterTwill.
It allowed me to use my door surrounds and the header from my original LJ softop frame.

Its a very nice top for the money.
Boy, I have been struggling with this very decision. I have a decent factory soft top but the windows are shot. It’s pretty old and from a PO but no damage on the top itself. I was just going to replace windows with a Bestop kit, but worrying I will later regret replacing the whole thing. Also worried about the weight of the aftermarket material compared to the quality of the factory material. Kinda want to try the fastback too, but want to keep the ease of putting the top down. $350 vs $600. I actually like the idea of keeping some of the frame. Decisions decisions.

So, I've been wheeling, trailering, & driving my Jeep to events now for a few months where rear and side plastics come on and off frequently. I've learned that leaving the header bar disconnected and the quarter panels un-clipped from the door surrounds makes zipping the rear plastic to the quarter panels alot easier.

I've also been using the Mastertop storage bag but the three sides cannot roll up without removing the plastic corner supports to the quarter panels and the tailgate bar needs to be removed from the rear window. Having 3 loose pieces floating around is pretty much the only complaint I have.

Well I'm going to change my opinion of this top. I really like the way it looks and it appeared to be decent quality, but the amount of noise this top generates on the highway is off the charts. At 50mph you can't hear yourself think. At 60mph and above it sounds like you're in the middle of a hurricane and the top is about to rip off.
I have tried adjusting it without any success. I even had the trim shop by work look at it.

I contacted both Mastertop and Quadratec and am waiting on replies from both. I will probably be returning this to quadratec and exchanging it for a Bestop.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Well I'm going to change my opinion of this top. I really like the way it looks and it appeared to be decent quality, but the amount of noise this top generates on the highway is off the charts. At 50mph you can't hear yourself think. At 60mph and above it sounds like you're in the middle of a hurricane and the top is about to rip off.
Thanks for the review. I will take that off my list of cheaper replacement tops. My 8 year old Bestop is still quiet enough to talk at normal volume with the radio on and driving 75 mph with MT tires. Although I might buy one for taking drives with the wife and In-Laws. 🤫

Reactions: williambmac
Boy, I have been struggling with this very decision. I have a decent factory soft top but the windows are shot. It’s pretty old and from a PO but no damage on the top itself. I was just going to replace windows with a Bestop kit, but worrying I will later regret replacing the whole thing.
I hated my clear, scratched up windows and I bought the Bestop window kit 4 years ago. My 8 year old top is still going strong and the windows are still scratch free.
Rubi HF 12 2 1.jpg

Thanks for the review. I will take that off my list of cheaper replacement tops. My 8 year old Bestop is still quiet enough to talk at normal volume with the radio on and driving 75 mph with MT tires. Although I might buy one for taking drives with the wife and In-Laws. 🤫
I really want to like the top, but man it is noisey AF. I had a stock and bestop on my old Wrangler and neither one was as noisey as this top.