Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

Everything torqued down. Front axle is aligned. Rear axle gave me shit. Even with a ratchet strap it didn't move far enough over to align it. It's as good as I can get it for now-about a slim inch off to the passenger side. Will deal with that later. Haven't driven it in 4 months, so I'm taking it out on its maiden voyage with new RJ60/44 combo and 5inch springs. Going to see what I need to dial in. Looong weekend.

20200712_212406.jpg

20200712_212418.jpg

20200712_212434.jpg

Last edited:
No vibes, but I got the Wobbles. Fuck...never had an issue like that. Took it to work to continue breaking the gears in and hit a decent sized bump on the way home just now that put it into full DW. I had to come to a complete stop. Fortunately I was only doing 35.

Climbing under it now to see what's going on. Did I say, fuck, yet?

It drove fine the first 3-4 times I took it out. I torqued all the bolts down and marked them with a paint marker when I put it back together this past weekend. I just checked all the bolts and none have moved. Smh.

Just curious, I went back to the bump that caused it to record the video. Here it is:

• Face Palm
Reactions: Ryanoceros
Toe in is 1/8" and here is the front suspension/steering and my front pinion angle. DS is getting 1350 Ujoint at TW.

20200714_190729.jpg

20200714_190756.jpg

It drove fine the first 3-4 times I took it out. I torqued all the bolts down and marked them with a paint marker when I put it back together this past weekend. I just checked all the bolts and none have moved. Smh.

Just curious, I went back to the bump that caused it to record the video. Here it is:

And I thought my shit was bad.o_O

just read your entire thread, got sucked in! Quite the story...but it appears the light is at the end of the tunnel?!! or is it?!! :unsure: either way, persistence wins!!

Reactions: taylormade73
Rotate your tires front to back. Everything else is solid, so it's gotta be the tires.
Rotated tires front to back this morning... still DW. 😐

On a happy note, the new drivelines completely eliminated my harmonic vibrations. Smooth as glass through 70 mph.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
I think I figured it out. The Currie track bar bolt appears to be too long. It looks like it is hitting the axle tube inside the bracket. This would prevent me from being able to properly torque it to 75 ft pounds, as it is torquing against the axle rather than clamping around the joint. So I'm going to get another washer or shorter bolt and try that.

20200715_160914.jpg

Last edited:
Hope it is something simple like this. Getting DW is a PITA and can really freak you out. I remember the first time it happened to me.

Yeah, it came out of nowhere. What was causing yours?

When I had come home from Iraq to find out my ex was letting her new boytoy drive my Jeep and had broken the trackbar. Of course she didn't tell me it was broken so I hit some railroad tracks doing 45 MPH and BOOM I was all over the road. I had a ProComp lift at the time and one of the heim joints was seized up and had slop in it.