Measurement Request: 15" Vanco BBK Caliper to Lower Control Arm Mount

Sorry it won’t be in the next two months. It has more to do with my body healing up enough to tackle the job then cash. I’m having yet another Spinal surgery coming up. this will make number seven in the last few years. My last one was December.

Wow I understand. I just had surgery on my back in Feb. I know all about our bodies not agreeing with what we're doing.

Ive never grasped why they dont always spell out the true rotor sizes in the website description.

The product names, as I read them, make me think they are actually 15, 16, or 17 inch brake kits, utilizing 15, 16, and 17 inch rotors.

They are solely describing the minimum wheel diameter, in inches, to run, correct?

Ive never grasped why they dont always spell out the true rotor sizes in the website description.

The product names, as I read them, make me think they are actually 15, 16, or 17 inch brake kits, utilizing 15, 16, and 17 inch rotors.

They are solely describing the minimum wheel diameter, in inches, to run, correct?
Correct. However depending on the wheels backspacing you may be able to fit the 16” kit into a 15” wheel like I am.

I don't have the exact measurement but they take up less room than stock. With the stock setup I would actually hit the brake caliper with my lower fox mount. With the 15" bbk I have plenty of clearance even without washers. (I had 2 on prior and still hit a spec)

Reactions: Wildman
Sorry for the extra posts Jjvw. But if you had not thought about it. I’m running 15” wheels as I believe you are as well and was still able to get the 16” big brake kit to fit in my wheels. It’s not as tight of a fit as I thought it might be either.

If I can fit the larger kit, I would go that route.

I don't have the exact measurement but they take up less room than stock. With the stock setup I would actually hit the brake caliper with my lower fox mount. With the 15" bbk I have plenty of clearance even without washers. (I had 2 on prior and still hit a spec)

You are saying there is actually more room with the BBK despite the caliper being larger? That's why I want to see pics and a measurement.

You are saying there is actually more room with the BBK despite the caliper being larger? That's why I want to see pics and a measurement.
Correct. More room.

I'm not at home currently and the jeep is sitting outside on a trailer but I can get you some photos in once the sun comes out. I also don't have the oem shock mount though so @bobthetj03 may be a better source.

Correct. More room.

I'm not at home currently and the jeep is sitting outside on a trailer but I can get you some photos in once the sun comes out. I also don't have the oem shock mount though so @bobthetj03 may be a better source.
don't you have the poly lower mount, mounted on a Rubicon Dana 44?

sounds like your setup is what he is wanting to mimic.
@jjvw if the anove is true the BBK will net you more room than stock. My stock brakes, passanger side, was hitting the area you placed the measuring tape on. When it hit on full lock it caused piston blowback and I had to pump the brakes in order to make them work again.

Also, the 15" kit locks up 35s without any issue.

Here are some photos. Clearly I have a different mount so it's not apples to apples but I tried to take a good amount so one may be helpful.

First two are full lock the others are at center. I attempted to show other parts that you could reference.

20200529_082725.jpg
20200529_082729.jpg
20200529_082920.jpg
20200529_082959.jpg
20200529_083021.jpg

Measured in the manner you asked in the first picture I have 2.75” with the caliper in the 16” position. I’m guessing I would have at least 3” in the 15” position. I can try moving it later on. I had something come up and can’t finish up my install work today.

Reactions: jjvw and Wildman
From the looks of things, I should be fine building the lower shock mounts around the stock calipers.

The issue with what I'm doing is that with 12"s I will need to put the lower mount a bit further down on the control arm mount than an 11". That will push the shock mount a little further out relative to stock.

Sounds like you h have a plan of attack figured out. 😊 You've done some amazing work already to your Jeep.

Reactions: jjvw
Sounds like you h have a plan of attack figured out. 😊 You've done some amazing work already to your Jeep.
Thanks. Depending on how it all lays out, I might need to push the shock mount into the control arm mount rather than layer up the two.

The other thing that plays into this is that I am planning a front stretch by moving the axle side spring seats backwards and frame side track bar mount forward at least an inch. That will help with the 6" of up travel in keeping the tire out of the rear fender wall.

Lots of moving and shifting parts to keep track of!

if we could get the right TB bent we could sneak these front axles right up on the pitman. anything ahead or bent forward of the diff cover then becomes the limiter.