"Mechanical Relearn" for New Ignition Cylinder

tj johnny

Greetings all:

In looking for a replacement for my stuck ignition switch cylinder I am seeing "mechanical relearn required" or "not required." Can someone give me an explanation as to what this means and determining which is right for my '98 TJ 4.0/manual. It doesn't take a chipped key, has no fobs.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings all:

In looking for a replacement for my stuck ignition switch cylinder I am seeing "mechanical relearn required" or "not required." Can someone give me an explanation as to what this means and determining which is right for my '98 TJ 4.0/manual. It doesn't take a chipped key, has no fobs.

Thank you in advance.
Just have to rekey it to match your key.

Silly question…how do you get it re-keyed? I figure a locksmith, but it sounds like getting it rekeyed to match the original would be super expensive

I used a Automatic Coding Ignition Lock Cylinder found on Amazon.
Worked perfectly. Allowed me to keep my original key so doors and tailgate still work.
816BjttJy4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Insert the key into the orange cylinder, give it a few twists and in some whiz-bang fashion the ignition cylinder is recoded to the existing key.

Reactions: MikekiM
I used a Automatic Coding Ignition Lock Cylinder found on Amazon.
Worked perfectly. Allowed me to keep my original key so doors and tailgate still work.
View attachment 526928
Insert the key into the orange cylinder, give it a few twists and in some whiz-bang fashion the ignition cylinder is recoded to the existing key.

Dang thats weird.

To rekey all my locks the same i just got sets of the right style chrysler tumblers for each lock. There are 4 sizes if i remember right and its pretty easy to use trial and error to get them in the correct locations

Reactions: jjvw
This is a replacement ignition lock cylinder. You use your existing key (Get a new one cut from a locksmith to your VIN) and the replacement cylinder copies your key to match it. Check out the video below

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-97863-924-784.aspx

Important question, is your key black or grey?

The actual key is silver, the part that connects to the wrong is black is that’s what you mean.

This is a replacement ignition lock cylinder. You use your existing key (Get a new one cut from a locksmith to your VIN) and the replacement cylinder copies your key to match it. Check out the video below

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-97863-924-784.aspx

Important question, is your key black or grey?

Why would I need to get a new one cut if you’re telling me to use the original key?

Dang thats weird.

To rekey all my locks the same i just got sets of the right style chrysler tumblers for each lock. There are 4 sizes if i remember right and its pretty easy to use trial and error to get them in the correct locations
I replaced just the ignition cylinder because the OE was busted.. you could pull the key while the engine was running. It wasn't a real issue other than the few times I thought I had the ignition in off position but was really in ACC. Took literally twenty minutes to recode the cylinder and swap out. I had the cylinders for the half doors rekeyed to match the ignition.. Let a local locksmith do it for $25 per side.

Why would I need to get a new one cut if you’re telling me to use the original key?
You don't need to cut a new key if you have it. If you've lost your key, a locksmith can cut a new from your VIN. If you have your key remove the old cylinder from the column, recode the new one (it come loaded in that orange tube) with just a few turns and install. No joke... 30 minutes tops.

Reactions: MikekiM