Metalcloak Kevlar Duroflex Joints

Now to find time somewhere between the honey do list to swap out these bushings. It will be interesting to see how the gen 1 bushings are holding up after 30K miles.

Put the new ones in the front and keep the old ones in the rear. See if you notice anything. My guess is you won’t, but it might be cool to try it for a while.

Put the new ones in the front and keep the old ones in the rear. See if you notice anything. My guess is you won’t, but it might be cool to try it for a while.

That's probably how it will play out. Doubtful I'll have time to do the front and the rear in one sitting. I don't expect to notice any difference in ride quality. I didn't notice any difference when I swapped my Currie arms for the Cloaks either.

That's probably how it will play out. Doubtful I'll have time to do the front and the rear in one sitting. I don't expect to notice any difference in ride quality. I didn't notice any difference when I swapped my Currie arms for the Cloaks either.

Why did you swap them out for Metalcloak arms? Just curious.

Why did you swap them out for Metalcloak arms? Just curious.

Before Duroflex joints existed, I replaced my stock arms up front with Currie arms in an attempt to cure a DW problem I was having. I went thru the typical gambit of replacing the TB for a JKS adjustable, ZJ steering upgrade, multiple tire balancings, and finally the Currie arms fixed the issue. When MC came out with the Duroflex arms, I decided to try them out. They were somewhat local to me, and I liked their rockers and fenders(at the time), so I decided to make the switch. Had no problem at all selling the Currie arms. I have a tendency of trying "out of the norm" stuff. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it bites me in the arse. The MC arms worked out, so I stuck with them.

Good. Then I can stop suggesting people use the Currie kit. :)

I wonder if the new Kevlar formula was the turning point for them to put out a bushing that could perform to their liking in that location?

I wonder if the new Kevlar formula was the turning point for them to put out a bushing that could perform to their liking in that location?
To my knowledge, it hasn't ever been a problematic location for the JKs.

Got the front bushings swapped out over the weekend. Pretty straight forward. the old bushings looked just fine. The one thing that concerned me was some wear from the oval slots on the axle side control arm brackets. You can see the slot grooved into the bolt barrel ends on the old bushing to the right.
20180901_141411.jpg

Mostly I guess due from the clamping force and the fact that the hole is a slot, so not sure if there was some movement there or not. I decided to take care of that with some of Blaine's magical washers.
20180901_145545.jpg

Problem solved.
20180901_145619.jpg

The ride seems stiffer now. the Kevlar must have changed things. JUST KIDDING! The ride is exactly the same as with the old bushings. Haha!

Reactions: Chris
Got the front bushings swapped out over the weekend. Pretty straight forward. the old bushings looked just fine. The one thing that concerned me was some wear from the oval slots on the axle side control arm brackets. You can see the slot grooved into the bolt barrel ends on the old bushing to the right.
View attachment 54142

Mostly I guess due from the clamping force and the fact that the hole is a slot, so not sure if there was some movement there or not. I decided to take care of that with some of Blaine's magical washers.
View attachment 54143
Problem solved.
View attachment 54144
The ride seems stiffer now. the Kevlar must have changed things. JUST KIDDING! The ride is exactly the same as with the old bushings. Haha!

I use Blaine's Johnny Joint washers as well. Love those things! A simple idea, but a brilliant one!

Reactions: bobthetj03
The one thing that I did notice on the old bushings was a bit of cracking at the base of the shank when I fully articulate the joint.
20180721_105852.jpg

The old bushing looks normal at rest.
20180721_110831.jpg

I use Blaine's Johnny Joint washers as well. Love those things! A simple idea, but a brilliant one!

I had to take a flat file to the grooved slot to get the washers to seat. I think my control arm brackets have seen a little bit of trauma over the years which may have warped that groove a little. Oopsie? Once I filled it down a little, the washers seated home.

I had to take a flat file to the grooved slot to get the washers to seat. I think my control arm brackets have seen a little bit of trauma over the years which may have warped that groove a little. Oopsie? Once I filled it down a little, the washers seated home.

That may be. Mine went in nice and snug. Oh well, at least you don't have to worry about any slop now.

Reactions: bobthetj03