Metalcloak rod ends installed with Rough Country control arms

BrunoPizz97

TJ Enthusiast
So I had MC rod ends installed on my RC control arms to replace the crappy rod ends RC had equipped it with originally to design.
I was told by some that it had not been done, or that it was just simply not worth it. There was minimal information online about doing this mod so I had to figure out most of details of how this would actually work out.
I went with the Forged Duroflex Joint, 2 5/8" X 5/8" BH X 2 5/8" Housing X 1 1/4" Straight Shank for the lower control arms
https://metalcloak.com/forged-durof...h-x-2-5-8-housing-x-1-1-4-straight-shank.html

Some slight modifications to the frame had to be done but it was nothing too major, all that had to be done to fit these rod ends were to spread the ears on the mounts just a little to make it all fit.
If anyone is thinking of going MC but doesn't want to spend a lot of money on the whole control arm I definitely recommend doing this if you run RC control arms. The ride feels exponentially better than what it did before. I have been running on these rod ends for a few weeks now so I will report back if I start to notice anything weird going on; such as the MC ends wearing out too fast.

02E19C02-654D-401F-8CAC-FD82E1751F19.jpeg

C9118B47-AC5F-47DF-BB54-F524A2FC01ED.jpeg

620E4461-80B3-4320-89A5-CC424BA0CEE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Claytone
I'm confused... Did you install metalcloak joints or johnny joints?
According to what he wrote in Post #1 he installed MC rod ends (Johnny Joints) on the RC control arms, BUT the link and PN that he posted were for RockJock "Currie" which are definitely Johnny Joints.

CE-9112SP-11_webstoreimage.jpg
7348-2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confused... Did you install metalcloak joints or johnny joints?
I did MC lower control arm rod ends
And I did Jonny joints for the upper control arm rod ends that I added as well when I did this mod. Just felt like I should add that in there, but this thread is mostly about the MC rod ends that I couldn’t find much info on.

According to what he wrote in Post #1 he installed MC rod ends (Johnny Joints) on the RC control arms, BUT the link and PN that he posted were for RockJock "Currie" which are definitely Johnny Joints.

View attachment 263874View attachment 263881
Sorry I know it’s a bit confusing

View attachment 263874View attachment 263881
i realized how confusing that might’ve been I just edited it. I used MC duroflex for lower control arms

Reactions: CharlesHS
I would like to have some information about the joint UPPER control arms. Did you use RockJock (Currie) Johnny Joint or Metalcloak Duroflex? May you report their codes? Thank you

Hi BrunoPizz97, thank you much for your reply. Taking into account your information I searched the RockJock web site and I found this:

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9112...RH-Thread-2.000-x-.4375-Ball-w-Greasable-Bolt
If I have well understood, Its ball joint housing is a bit smaller than ce-9112sp-11 you used. So, maybe it could be installed without modification (as I already done using the ce-9114 on the lower arms). what do you think? Thank you again

Hi BrunoPizz97, thank you much for your reply. Taking into account your information I searched the RockJock web site and I found this:

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9112...RH-Thread-2.000-x-.4375-Ball-w-Greasable-Bolt
If I have well understood, Its ball joint housing is a bit smaller than ce-9112sp-11 you used. So, maybe it could be installed without modification (as I already done using the ce-9114 on the lower arms). what do you think? Thank you again
I’m sure someone more experienced in sizing rod ends would be best. I was just told to get these specific ones by my Jeep guy. Sorry I’m not much help in this division. I just posted this thread because I was told MC rod ends couldn’t be or was not advised to be used on RC control arms.

shank, size and thread pitch need to match your existing link.
bracket width determines joint width.
and bolt size should be equal to stock or larger ( larger meaning you'd need to drill the bracket most likely),
each joint width will also list it's bolt hole or sleeve size .

Comparing the features of CE-9112SP-11, used by BrunoPizz97, and CE-9112S, I found on the RockJock website, both JJ have the same shank, size and thread pitch, the same thru bolt hole (0.482' should be equal to 7/16).
I recognised the only difference related to the mounting width: CE-9112SP-11 is 2.190' while CE-9112S is 2'.
So, taking into account that CE-9112SP-11 has been installed on Rough Country upper control arms, I suppose CE-9112S can be installed too. The little mounting width difference could prevent the grinding of the JJ to fit the mounting bracket (hopefully).
Do I'm losing something?
Thank you again!

Reactions: pc1p
I’m doing the same mod to my RC long arms. I swapped Clayton off road rubber bushings into the fixed end and Johnny joint will go into the threaded end (when they show up)

Comparing the features of CE-9112SP-11, used by BrunoPizz97, and CE-9112S, I found on the RockJock website, both JJ have the same shank, size and thread pitch, the same thru bolt hole (0.482' should be equal to 7/16).
I recognised the only difference related to the mounting width: CE-9112SP-11 is 2.190' while CE-9112S is 2'.
So, taking into account that CE-9112SP-11 has been installed on Rough Country upper control arms, I suppose CE-9112S can be installed too. The little mounting width difference could prevent the grinding of the JJ to fit the mounting bracket (hopefully).
Do I'm losing something?
Thank you again!
check those hole sizes. .4375 vs .482

The bolts that came with my Johnny joints for the upper arms are 7/16s so I will have to drill the stock holes out.

@Wtrask: probably I'm wrong but, at the best of my knowledge, TJ upper control arms bolt size should be 7/16 (I have not measured mine, it is a piece of information I found on the web). In fact, BrunoPizz97, who has installed the CE-9112SP-11 JJ (bolt hole = 0.482'), has drilled the frame bracket. Actually, 7/16, as highlighted by someguysjeep, corresponding to 0.4375' is smaller. Finally, taking into account the currently available information, I guess the CE-9112S can be the best choice for replacing the junk upper control arms RC joint with no modification.
I thank all of you, I have really appreciated your suggestions and information.

I have to update my last message... I found contrasting information about the bolt size: It seems that OEM size could be 10mm which is smaller than 7/16. If it is true, also CE-9112S will require drilling the frame brackets. I'm a bit confused... maybe the thing to do is to unbolt mine and take some measurements.

I have to update my last message... I found contrasting information about the bolt size: It seems that OEM size could be 10mm which is smaller than 7/16. If it is true, also CE-9112S will require drilling the frame brackets. I'm a bit confused... maybe the thing to do is to unbolt mine and take some measurements.
The stock bolts are 10mm. With just a little work it’s easy to get a 7/16” bolt in there though. It’s worth opening up the brackets that little bit…

Doesn't matter. Just drill the mount to use a larger bolt if the new control arm requires it.