Microprocessor control of suspension airbags

jscherb

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
At the SEMA Show last fall an air compressor company I've done some work for gave me two small compressors suitable for air bag systems. I've got AirLift 1000 systems in the rear of all three of my Jeeps and I've always inflated them as necessary with a hand bicycle pump, but I wanted to experiment with a small compressor for this purpose so I asked the compressor company for some samples to play with and they gave me these:

AirBag2Compressors.jpg

But more than just connecting a compressor to the air bags, my plan was to experiment with microprocessor control of the airbag system. A microprocessor is way overkill and really unnecessary for a simple load enhancement air bag application, but I've always wanted to get into microprocessor control of real-world hardware and this seemed like a fun place to start. This project may not become anything more than a bench test science experiment because my bicycle pump works just fine for maintaining and adjusting the pressure in the air bags I currently have, but I thought it would be a fun and educational project that could lead to other things.

I put together a test fixture so I could experiment with the air bag hardware at my workbench. It's got only one air bag because that's enough to test the system for now and it simulates what's in my Jeeps because in all 3 Jeeps both rear air bags are plumbed together.

AirliftTestFixture.jpg

Besides the compressor, the key hardware components are a pressure transducer, which will provide the microprocessor with the pressure in the system, and a solenoid-operated pressure release valve, which the microprocessor can open to bring the pressure in the system down when needed.

The manual pressure release and the pressure gauge on the fixture are just for test purposes. The pressure gauge will be used to help calibrate the pressure transducer's data and the manual pressure release will allow me to manually reduce the pressure to test whether the microprocessor responds correctly to an unplanned reduction in pressure.

On the microprocessor side, I used an Arduino Uno microcontroller board. The Uno is based on the ATmega328P, which is an 8-bit microprocessor with 32kb of on-board programmable flash memory. The board has 14 digital input/output pins, 6 analog inputs, a USB connection, a power jack and more. It's the larger board in this photo:

AirBagElectronics.jpg

Also in the photo are a 12v to 5v voltage regulator which can power the electronics when installed in the Jeep, a voltage sensor which will interface the pressure transducer to one of the Uno's analog inputs, a relay board which will control the compressor and the solenoid pressure release and will interface to the Uno's digital output ports (a single relay is shown in this photo but a dual relay will be used, I didn't have the dual relay on hand when this photo was taken). And finally, a small OLED display for showing system status.

I started by writing small programs to control each of the devices individually, with the idea that when I had figured out the code to interface to and control each device, I could combine all of the code into a single main program. In this next photo, I'm testing the OLED display. Also in this photo the Arduino microprocessor board is connected to my laptop via USB so the laptop can download code to the microprocessor's flash ram:

VoltageSensorTest1.jpg

DisplayTest1.jpg

All of the components are connected in this next photo. The box on the left is a 12v 30a DC power supply, a stand-in for the Jeep's battery, it provides power for the system.

AirBagTestFixture1.jpg

A closer look at the microprocessor and related circuitry:

AirBagMicroprocessor1.jpg

All of the circuitry is simply breadboarded together at this point, I'd make a PC board if I planned to use this in the Jeeps. The two round black things on the breadboard are momentary pushbutton switches which are used to request airing up or airing down. Currently the code increases/decreases in 5 lb. psi. increments because less than that isn't really meaningful to the Airlift air bags, but the increments are easily changed in the code if needed. Also the last requested pressure setting is saved in the microprocessor's EEPROM so when the vehicle is shut off and later restarted the airbag system will revert to that last pressure setting. The square black thing to the left of the switches is the OLED display, nothing is showing on it because the circuit isn't powered up right now but it will show both the current pressure in the bags and the requested pressure as entered via the switches. The blue USB cable connects to my laptop and is used to download compiled code to the microprocessor.

After combining all the code fragments into a single main program there were a few electronic issues to solve, for example when the solenoid air valve shut off it sent a reverse voltage spike through the system that sometimes crashed the microprocessor (a diode fixed that). Also the pressure transducer has some "bobble" in it - when the pressure changes, it takes a while for the transducer to settle down and because of that the microprocessor would obey the transducer and cycle on and off around the exact pressure until the transducer settled on a final reading. I was able to work around the bobble in the code. Both of these are things that ordinary coding on a computer would never experience, but when you're dealing with the real world to some degree real world anomalies are more in control than your code. But all is working now, so here's a demo:

So what? That's a lot of technology to replace what I currently do with a bicycle pump. True, but this is just a first step - now that the basic system is working, it could be expanded, perhaps to create an active suspension system that can control airbags at all 4 corners of the Jeep to maintain ride height and load balance, or with different air bags than the Airlift 1000's it could be used to control a variable lift system - no lift for daily driving or higher lift for trail clearance. With the addition of an attitude/angle sensor (a less than $1 component), the air bag(s) at the low corner/low side of the Jeep on the trail could be increased in height to improve trail stability. Or, using a different version of the Arduino board with a Bluetooth interface an app could be built to control the airbags. There's a lot that could be built based on the simple starting point that I've implemented.

I will be turning the over the code, circuit diagram and component specs of the airbag project to the compressor company - they expressed enough interest in the project to give me the compressors; I don't know if they'll want to do anything with it now that's it's working but perhaps they'll be interested in marketing a low-cost digital controller for load-management air bag systems based on this project. The electronics could easily be turned from the breadboarded wiring I've done into a very compact PC board and the total electronic component cost at the manufacturing level would be less than $25 so a simple plug and play digital airbag controller is practical.

I'm not sure where I'll take this project next but it's been a lot of fun making all of these components work together and interfacing the microprocessor to the real world. The quirks of real world devices provided coding challenges I'd never experienced in my tens of thousands of lines of code experience so it was a great learning project as well. I do have some other ideas I might pursue, such as interfacing the microprocessor to the OBDII port; in my '06's it wouldn't be able to do much except monitor engine parameters but in my JK it could possibly control accessories on the Jeep's CAN bus. But for the moment I'll call this "science project" done.

Happy to provide more details or answer any questions anyone might have.

That's super cool. I don't care about the airbag stuff in the least, but the microprocessor work to control real world devices is sexy as all get out. I would love to get into this sort of thing, but have never really found the time. I keep thinking it would be cool to have a data logger connected to the ODBII port, and then whenever it connected to my home wifi it would upload the data to S3. Alternatively I could stream that data to kafka locally and have the TV in my garage showing a real time dashboard in Grafana or something.

I don't really even know how to get started though.

So what? That's a lot of technology to replace what I currently do with a bicycle pump. True, but this is just a first step - now that the basic system is working, it could be expanded, perhaps to create an active suspension system that can control airbags at all 4 corners of the Jeep to maintain ride height and load balance, or with different air bags than the Airlift 1000's it could be used to control a variable lift system - no lift for daily driving or higher lift for trail clearance. With the addition of an attitude/angle sensor (a less than $1 component), the air bag(s) at the low corner/low side of the Jeep on the trail could be increased in height to improve trail stability. Or, using a different version of the Arduino board with a Bluetooth interface an app could be built to control the airbags. There's a lot that could be built based on the simple starting point that I've implemented.

I may be missing the point here, but it seems to me like you're attempting to build a control system that has existed for a while, (I'm not attempting to knock your setup, I know you do good work beyond many of my capabilities) or are you attempting to put together a lower-price-point unit?

RideTech has had controllers that do everything you listed for nearly 20 years now. The old stuff worked with mechanical sensors, and the newer stuff runs lasers for height measurement. https://ridetech.com/product-category/products/air_suspension/air-ride-suspension-control-systems/ AccuAir Suspension is another company in this market.

Cool technology but way overkill for offroading a TJ. I was behind a guy with a joystick controlled airbag system in his TJ >20 years ago and it was a nightmare following him. He was always screwing with it trying to keep his TJ level on the uneven terrain. We were stacked up behind him swearing at him over our CBs lol.

• Haha
Reactions: MikeE024 and D M
Cool technology but way overkill for offroading a TJ. I was behind a guy with a joystick controlled airbag system in his TJ >20 years ago and it was a nightmare following him. He was always screwing with it trying to keep his TJ level on the uneven terrain. We were stacked up behind him swearing at him over our CBs lol.

Was it @Wildman ? ;)

Was he "rock-bouncing"? :LOL:

I may be missing the point here, but it seems to me like you're attempting to build a control system that has existed for a while, (I'm not attempting to knock your setup, I know you do good work beyond many of my capabilities) or are you attempting to put together a lower-price-point unit?

RideTech has had controllers that do everything you listed for nearly 20 years now. The old stuff worked with mechanical sensors, and the newer stuff runs lasers for height measurement. https://ridetech.com/product-category/products/air_suspension/air-ride-suspension-control-systems/ AccuAir Suspension is another company in this market.

I have an Air Lift Wireless one waiting on me to buy a gooseneck to install in my truck. I think it works the same way.

Reactions: BlueC
I would love a version of this that would allow me to set tire pressure on my VIAIR compressors. Up down switch to set a pressure. 12v to trigger a relay for the compressors until the set pressure is reached and then turns off.

Be lovely to put 28 psi in, flip it on and do something else while the tires inflated.

-Mac

Reactions: Rickyd
I would love a version of this that would allow me to set tire pressure on my VIAIR compressors. Up down switch to set a pressure. 12v to trigger a relay for the compressors until the set pressure is reached and then turns off.

Be lovely to put 28 psi in, flip it on and do something else while the tires inflated.

-Mac

https://www.strikeforcezebra.com/aircommand

• Wow
Reactions: hear

-Mac

It's not exactly the same I don't think, but my $40 compressor off amazon does exactly this. Makes for an easier time closing out a day of wheeling since you don't have to monitor the pressure while you pack up.

I was reading the original post thinking maybe it was going in the direction of realtime, independent control of each corner to maintain a level height over terrain, using some accelerometers to read roll and pitch.

Not sure it would pay off with any increased capability but it would be fun to watch and listen to air bags being filled and emptied as a TJ floated perfectly level over some boulders or ruts.

I was reading the original post thinking maybe it was going in the direction of realtime, independent control of each corner to maintain a level height over terrain, using some accelerometers to read roll and pitch.

Not sure it would pay off with any increased capability but it would be fun to watch and listen to air bags being filled and emptied as a TJ floated perfectly level over some boulders or ruts.

That would be nuts!!

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
At the SEMA Show last fall an air compressor company I've done some work for gave me two small compressors suitable for air bag systems. I've got AirLift 1000 systems in the rear of all three of my Jeeps and I've always inflated them as necessary with a hand bicycle pump, but I wanted to experiment with a small compressor for this purpose so I asked the compressor company for some samples to play with and they gave me these:

View attachment 441360

But more than just connecting a compressor to the air bags, my plan was to experiment with microprocessor control of the airbag system. A microprocessor is way overkill and really unnecessary for a simple load enhancement air bag application, but I've always wanted to get into microprocessor control of real-world hardware and this seemed like a fun place to start. This project may not become anything more than a bench test science experiment because my bicycle pump works just fine for maintaining and adjusting the pressure in the air bags I currently have, but I thought it would be a fun and educational project that could lead to other things.

I put together a test fixture so I could experiment with the air bag hardware at my workbench. It's got only one air bag because that's enough to test the system for now and it simulates what's in my Jeeps because in all 3 Jeeps both rear air bags are plumbed together.

View attachment 441361

Besides the compressor, the key hardware components are a pressure transducer, which will provide the microprocessor with the pressure in the system, and a solenoid-operated pressure release valve, which the microprocessor can open to bring the pressure in the system down when needed.

The manual pressure release and the pressure gauge on the fixture are just for test purposes. The pressure gauge will be used to help calibrate the pressure transducer's data and the manual pressure release will allow me to manually reduce the pressure to test whether the microprocessor responds correctly to an unplanned reduction in pressure.

On the microprocessor side, I used an Arduino Uno microcontroller board. The Uno is based on the ATmega328P, which is an 8-bit microprocessor with 32kb of on-board programmable flash memory. The board has 14 digital input/output pins, 6 analog inputs, a USB connection, a power jack and more. It's the larger board in this photo:

View attachment 441362

Also in the photo are a 12v to 5v voltage regulator which can power the electronics when installed in the Jeep, a voltage sensor which will interface the pressure transducer to one of the Uno's analog inputs, a relay board which will control the compressor and the solenoid pressure release and will interface to the Uno's digital output ports (a single relay is shown in this photo but a dual relay will be used, I didn't have the dual relay on hand when this photo was taken). And finally, a small OLED display for showing system status.

I started by writing small programs to control each of the devices individually, with the idea that when I had figured out the code to interface to and control each device, I could combine all of the code into a single main program. In this next photo, I'm testing the OLED display. Also in this photo the Arduino microprocessor board is connected to my laptop via USB so the laptop can download code to the microprocessor's flash ram:

View attachment 441363

View attachment 441364

All of the components are connected in this next photo. The box on the left is a 12v 30a DC power supply, a stand-in for the Jeep's battery, it provides power for the system.

View attachment 441365

A closer look at the microprocessor and related circuitry:

View attachment 441366

All of the circuitry is simply breadboarded together at this point, I'd make a PC board if I planned to use this in the Jeeps. The two round black things on the breadboard are momentary pushbutton switches which are used to request airing up or airing down. Currently the code increases/decreases in 5 lb. psi. increments because less than that isn't really meaningful to the Airlift air bags, but the increments are easily changed in the code if needed. Also the last requested pressure setting is saved in the microprocessor's EEPROM so when the vehicle is shut off and later restarted the airbag system will revert to that last pressure setting. The square black thing to the left of the switches is the OLED display, nothing is showing on it because the circuit isn't powered up right now but it will show both the current pressure in the bags and the requested pressure as entered via the switches. The blue USB cable connects to my laptop and is used to download compiled code to the microprocessor.

After combining all the code fragments into a single main program there were a few electronic issues to solve, for example when the solenoid air valve shut off it sent a reverse voltage spike through the system that sometimes crashed the microprocessor (a diode fixed that). Also the pressure transducer has some "bobble" in it - when the pressure changes, it takes a while for the transducer to settle down and because of that the microprocessor would obey the transducer and cycle on and off around the exact pressure until the transducer settled on a final reading. I was able to work around the bobble in the code. Both of these are things that ordinary coding on a computer would never experience, but when you're dealing with the real world to some degree real world anomalies are more in control than your code. But all is working now, so here's a demo:

I will be turning the over the code, circuit diagram and component specs of the airbag project to the compressor company - they expressed enough interest in the project to give me the compressors; I don't know if they'll want to do anything with it now that's it's working but perhaps they'll be interested in marketing a low-cost digital controller for load-management air bag systems based on this project. The electronics could easily be turned from the breadboarded wiring I've done into a very compact PC board and the total electronic component cost at the manufacturing level would be less than $25 so a simple plug and play digital airbag controller is practical.

I'm not sure where I'll take this project next but it's been a lot of fun making all of these components work together and interfacing the microprocessor to the real world. The quirks of real world devices provided coding challenges I'd never experienced in my tens of thousands of lines of code experience so it was a great learning project as well. I do have some other ideas I might pursue, such as interfacing the microprocessor to the OBDII port; in my '06's it wouldn't be able to do much except monitor engine parameters but in my JK it could possibly control accessories on the Jeep's CAN bus. But for the moment I'll call this "science project" done.

Happy to provide more details or answer any questions anyone might have.

Curious what your approach to the pressure transducer "bobbling" was. I know how I handle things like that but I have a lot more memory to play with than an Arduino.

Do you have C++ coding background? I've dabbled a bit but it can be a struggle thanks to industry organizations like IEEE settling on a language based on Pascal that have kept me in that world for...ever. Syntax is easy enough but the differences are astounding when it comes to things like having different names for the same thing, and it seems even the Arduino version of things work differently than what I find on the web for how things are done in PC software.

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's super cool. I don't care about the airbag stuff in the least, but the microprocessor work to control real world devices is sexy as all get out. I would love to get into this sort of thing, but have never really found the time. I keep thinking it would be cool to have a data logger connected to the ODBII port, and then whenever it connected to my home wifi it would upload the data to S3. Alternatively I could stream that data to kafka locally and have the TV in my garage showing a real time dashboard in Grafana or something.

I don't really even know how to get started though.

There are many "learning programming/electronics with the Arduino" books available but some experience with coding and electronics really helps. I wouldn't have been able to make this project work without my prior coding experience and my prior electronics design experience - when it comes to interfacing to real world devices there are often challenges that are beyond what you'll find in the beginner books.

But it doesn't cost much to get started - you can pick up Ardiuno microprocessor starter books for a few bucks at places like Thriftbooks (https://www.thriftbooks.com/browse/?b.search=arduino) and there are hardware starter kits for $25-40 which will provide all you need for a range of starter projects (https://www.microcenter.com/product...arter-v2-kit-for-arduino-uno-16mhz-clock-rate). Once you've gotten some experience with the basics, you could explore things like an ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter (to interface to the OBDII port) and experiment with that. There are lots of code examples on line. Once you got that figured, you could get a MicroSD card interface, connect it to the microprocessor and do the logging you want. It goes on from there, you can start simple and add devices and capabilities as you gain experience.

-Mac

The system and code as it is currently implemented will do exactly that, assuming you're setting all 4 tires to the same pressure. All that would be needed would be a 4-way air hose with clip-on Schrader heads on each end. Connect the 4-way hose and the tire pressures will equalize, then set the pressure on the up/down pushbuttons and the microprocessor would read the pressure from the tires and if the pressure was higher than what you requested the microprocessor would open the pressure release valve until the lower pressure was reached. Getting off the trail, hook up the 4-way hose again and select a higher pressure and let the microprocessor do the work to air back up.

Perhaps the only code change (1 line) would be to set the up/down increment to 1 psi (for the airbags I've set it to 5 psi because smaller increments aren't really meaningful in that application). And a more robust compressor than the tiny one I'm using for the air bags.

Maybe I should package up the electronics in a simple box for that application. Might be popular with people who air up/down a lot. Let's see... the Strike Force Zebra AirCommand is $389... I spend about 40 bucks on this prototype, add in the cost of a 4-way air hose (maybe could make one for $50-$75 or so?) and we're a little over a hundred bucks cost. Hmmmm...

A system to set different tires to different pressures would require a little more hardware, but the basic concepts implemented in the code already would be used, updated to monitor multiple tires and control multiple air valves.

The last time I looked, RideTech Airpod systems start at about $2600 for a complete kit.

Here's what I've spent so far:

Arduino microprocessor $10.00
Release valve $6.00
OLED Display $9.00
Dual Relay Board $3.00
Various jumper wires,
breadboard, etc. $15.00
Airlift 1000 air bags 0 (Already in my Jeeps)
Compressor: 0 (Two compressors donated by compressor company)

So I've spent less than $50 so far. What I've built doesn't even come close to what the Ridetech system does, but I could add independent control of air bags on all 4 corners of the vehicle for maybe another $100, including attitude/angle detection/correction (the component to detect attitude/angle changes is a $2 part). I'd need to upgrade from the Airlift air bags to bags that are a little more capable, so that would add some cost but I could still end up at a small fraction of the cost of a Ridetech system.

The Airlift Wireless One control system, which performs a similar function to what I've done (except I haven't implemented wireless control at this point), retails for around $500, so if all I do is the final engineering to turn the breadboarded "science experiment" into a digital air bag controller that costs maybe $35 to manufacture, that could be a win for the compressor company that gave me the compressors to experiment with.

I'm just experimenting at this point. I do that a lot. My electrical/electronics projects often start out as something very simple like this to prove the base technology and end up developing into something more complicated and very useful. My Overland Dual Battery System started out as a simple way to power my fridge/kitchen with a second battery and turned into a complete dual battery system charging both batteries from the alternator, no use/drain on the main starting battery at the campsite, ability to start the Jeep from either battery at the flip of a switch on the dash, and charging of the kitchen battery and optionally the main battery from an on-board solar panel. All done with simple components at a small fraction of the cost of a commercial dual battery + solar system and it's an easy DIY implementation. I haven't posted about that system here because it doesn't seem like there are enough people here that would be interested in an overland dual battery system but parts of it have been in use in my Jeep for almost 6 years and the complete system has been managing battery power in both my JK and my LJ for over two years.

My early experiments with fiberglass at home ended up with me designing and developing the Safari Cab hardtop for the TJ/LJ now sold by Gr8Tops, Jeep-tub and military replica trailer kits now sold at dinoot.com, my CJ Grille Kit for the TJ/LJ and more.

My early experiments with sewing ended up with a company being founded (Overland Outfitters) and me designing all but a couple of their products for them.

My early experiments in hardware fabrication ended up with MORryde founding their Jeep division and me designing their entire product line.

So I don't know where my microprocessor experiments with the Jeep might end up. Maybe nowhere. Maybe somewhere really cool.

Curious what your approach to the pressure transducer "bobbling" was. I know how I handle things like that but I have a lot more memory to play with than an Arduino.

The solution was pretty straightforward, once the transducer reports pressure within a small range of the correct pressure (<1 psi difference, close enough for atom bombs, hand grenades and air bags :) ), accept that and stop paying attention to the transducer after that while it's settling.

The code is pretty compact, less than 17k for the executable and less than 600 bytes of dynamic memory used for variable storage. Plus 2 bytes of EEPROM to save the setting across shutdowns.

Do you have C++ coding background? I've dabbled a bit but it can be a struggle thanks to industry organizations like IEEE settling on a language based on Pascal that have kept me in that world for...ever. Syntax is easy enough but the differences are astounding when it comes to things like having different names for the same thing, and it seems even the Arduino version of things work differently than what I find on the web for how things are done in PC software.
I have coding experience in many languages - IBM 370 assembly, Intel assembly, Pascal, C, C++, Java, etc. The Arduino "sketch" code is C/C++ so there was no new learning required on my part to do the coding, other than the learning required to deal with the external components.

The solution was pretty straightforward, once the transducer reports pressure within a small range of the correct pressure (<1 psi difference, close enough for atom bombs, hand grenades and air bags :) ), accept that and stop paying attention to the transducer after that while it's settling.

The code is pretty compact, less than 17k for the executable and less than 600 bytes of dynamic memory used for variable storage. Plus 2 bytes of EEPROM to save the setting across shutdowns.

Ah, nice. That definitely works.

I usually apply a bit of hysteresis, just like a household thermostat. There's a target/setpoint, and then differentials above or below the setpoint. I might have a valve open if the pressure falls below 30, but don't close it until the pressure rises above something like 32, so once it crosses the threshold it latches in and wobble doesn't matter, as long as the amplitude of the wobble isn't as big as my differential. I also can apply filters to the measurement so it settles smoothly into the new reading.

I have coding experience in many languages - IBM 370 assembly, Intel assembly, Pascal, C, C++, Java, etc. The Arduino "sketch" code is C/C++ so there was no new learning required on my part to do the coding, other than the learning required to deal with the external components.

Nice. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain via PM at some point. I have very little experience with C/C++ but based on how popular and capable it is I have no doubt it can do what I'm trying to do. I feel like I just need a push over a hump on something I take for granted as basic knowledge that's too ingrained in my consciousness to even question, because 99% if my programming is in IEC 61131-3 Structured Text. Based on Pascal but not exactly Pascal, either.

Very nice! I do that kind of stuff for a living so it's always fun to see people getting into it and learning it!

Andy

Very nice! I do that kind of stuff for a living so it's always fun to see people getting into it and learning it!

Andy

Spill it! What do you do?

I do it for a living as well, specifically applied to commercial HVAC and refrigeration equipment. Lots of valves, compressors, fans, etc responding to and regulating to temperatures and pressures. Most of it's not really on/off anymore, it's more modulating.

I don't enjoy programming just for the sake of software, at all. I enjoy the control of the mechanical.

Spill it! What do you do?

I do it for a living as well, specifically applied to commercial HVAC and refrigeration equipment. Lots of valves, compressors, fans, etc responding to and regulating to temperatures and pressures. Most of it's not really on/off anymore, it's more modulating.

I don't enjoy programming just for the sake of software, at all. I enjoy the control of the mechanical.

Embedded systems engineer, specializing in the CAN bus. I eat, sleep and breathe microcontrollers, Where hardware and software come together has always interested me. Andy

Last edited:
The Airlift Wireless One control system, which performs a similar function to what I've done (except I haven't implemented wireless control at this point), retails for around $500, so if all I do is the final engineering to turn the breadboarded "science experiment" into a digital air bag controller that costs maybe $35 to manufacture, that could be a win for the compressor company that gave me the compressors to experiment with.

I get it, build a setup to target a lower price point, which is needed considering the cost of other well established companies like RideTech.

I'm just experimenting at this point. I do that a lot.

I've seen that, and I appreciated you posting about your projects. You're very detailed and I appreciate that. (y)