Mid Size Trucks

RussTJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’d like to hear your thoughts on the new mid size trucks available today. My cousin bought a Colorado a few years ago and my brother has owned several Tacoma’s. Both have had good luck. Your thoughts or experiences with them?

Tacomas are great, and their price reflects it. I've been a fan of Toyota trucks going back to when they were cleverly named the Toyota Pickup. I would love a Tacoma for everyday use, but I do too much towing so I had to go full-size.

I went for a ride in a co-workers new Colorado the other day, the thing is huge. "Mid-size" now is damn near what "full-size" was 15 years ago.

Reactions: RussTJ
I regularly see tacomas for sale around here with 200k+ miles. I know a few people who own one and they love it. Though for the price you pay for a mid size truck you could easily spend just as much if not just a tiny bit more and have a full size.

Reactions: chad and RussTJ
My Ranger was almost $10,000 less than a 150. I’ve hauled over 800 pounds of cargo with no problem. I average over 25 MPG

I've had three Tacomas- a 1997, a 2009 and a 2012, and each was progressively worse in terms of reliability. All over TacomaWorld there are people longing for a more simple, less "techie" mid-size. It's called the Frontier. A Pro4X runs thousands less than any other mid-sized, and there are always great deals to be had. Still a worthy choice.

I've had three Tacomas- a 1997, a 2009 and a 2012, and each was progressively worse in terms of reliability. All over TacomaWorld there are people longing for a more simple, less "techie" mid-size. It's called the Frontier. A Pro4X runs thousands less than any other mid-sized, and there are always great deals to be had. Still a worthy choice.
I totally agree with your assessment. I’ve had a 95,02 and 2012 and I agree Toyota is living on its past reliability. I purchased a 2012 new it had a plastic clutch pedal and slave cylinders that when it got cold outside when pressed would not come back up. The transmission sucked first gear to low but reverse was about 35 mph lol. I lost both front wheel bearing before 70k. I have a friend that works at Toyota and when he started 15 years ago if anyone dropped any motor or transmission components they where instructed to throw it in recycling bins. Now they tell them to pick it up and use it anyway.

I've had 3 Toyota pickups. 1982, 1990 and now still have the 2004. Great reliable trucks. I use them as a daily driver plus a lot off road as a work truck on the ranch and hunting, hauling firewood what a pickup is meant to be used for. The 2004 is the last of the smaller body style. The 2005 and newer were to big for my use. Hard working little truck. My 1990 and 2004 came standard with an electric rear locker. It's like a Jeep with a pickup bed, and will cruise down the Hwy nice and comfortable.

I liked our 98 S-10 a lot more than our 2012 Tacoma which seemed bloated for a small pickup. That S-10 went 225,000 miles and required precious little maintenance other than fluid changes. I’m just not keen on the upsizing of trucks this century as I like to be able to see into the bed from standing on the ground.

Reactions: qslim and RussTJ
Not a new truck by any means but I love my Ranger. Good size vehicle for me, does everything I need it to. But I do think of buying a full-size diesel someday. That’ll replace a different vehicle though, this ones a keeper. It’s hard to justify a newer midsize truck when you could buy a used full-size for a similar price. I guess it all comes down to what your purpose of owning one is though.

Reactions: RussTJ and Starrs
In 2016 I bought a new 2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab, Long Bed, SLT... and loved it. Zero problems for the first 42000 miles. I just traded it in 10 days ago for a 3500HD but the only reason was that I needed the 1ton to carry a truck camper while I tow the Jeep and the Mid size truck just doesn't cut it. Without that need, I'd be keeping the Canyon.

Reactions: RussTJ and Starrs