Midnight LJR Build

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Just joined the forum after being really impressed with the knowledge on this site. After going through a lot of peoples build threads and learning a lot and seeing how much people helped I thought I would do one of my own. Never done one before figured it would help give back to the community and you guys could help point out any errors I make. =-P

Finally found my dream jeep a 2006 LJ Rubicon in midnight Blue with a 6 speed it has 60,000 miles on it. drove about 4 hours each way from Sacramento to pick it up.

Overall it is good shape, paint is peeling on the fender flares so need to replace those,It rides pretty terrible with the current lift compared to me old XJ. it has a procomp 4" lift on it, not impressed or happy with the lift so that will need to be changed.

But I could not be more excited I have wanted one of these jeeps for a long time.

As far as experience goes and what the jeep will be used for I spend most of my time wheeling the trails around northern California. Rubicon and Slick Rock trail etc. I also plan to tow our off road trailer with it out to death valley and things like that.

Here is a photo of it getting gas on the way home.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 12.00.55 PM.png

That's an awesome looking LJ Rubicon! You did well by picking that thing up.

Do you have any immediate plans for it? I think if I had an LJ I'd probably put 33s on it with the stock Moab wheels and do some other light mods. It looks awesome though even as it sits, really it does!

Reactions: Ryanoceros
Just joined the forum after being really impressed with the knowledge on this site. After going through a lot of peoples build threads and learning a lot and seeing how much people helped I thought I would do one of my own. Never done one before figured it would help give back to the community and you guys could help point out any errors I make. =-P

Finally found my dream jeep a 2006 LJ Rubicon in midnight Blue with a 6 speed it has 60,000 miles on it. drove about 4 hours each way from Sacramento to pick it up.

Overall it is good shape, paint is peeling on the fender flares so need to replace those,It rides pretty terrible with the current lift compared to me old XJ. it has a procomp 4" lift on it, not impressed or happy with the lift so that will need to be changed.

But I could not be more excited I have wanted one of these jeeps for a long time.

As far as experience goes and what the jeep will be used for I spend most of my time wheeling the trails around northern California. Rubicon and Slick Rock trail etc. I also plan to tow our off road trailer with it out to death valley and things like that.

Here is a photo of it getting gas on the way home.

View attachment 96941

Nice find, looks clean! About what did you pay for it if you don’t mind me asking?

First modifications I have done just trying to get the thread updated. The jeep did not smell very good, and the previous owner I think left it in the rain with the top off I pulled the carpet and found mold underneath, so I took all the carpet out and cleaned everything up. then installed a bedbug carpet kit with Quadratec floor mats and added a dead pedal in for long drive comfort.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 1.41.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 1.41.17 PM.png

That's an awesome looking LJ Rubicon! You did well by picking that thing up.

Do you have any immediate plans for it? I think if I had an LJ I'd probably put 33s on it with the stock Moab wheels and do some other light mods. It looks awesome though even as it sits, really it does!

Current plan is to upgrade to a 35 and switch out the lift. The Procomp lift a has a transfer case drop that I would rather not have on the jeep and the current tires are badly cracking even on the sidewalls so I am going to be upgrading to the 35's sooner rather than later.

Clean rig, and welcome from another fellow NorCal jeeper! We have a group in the NorCal section hitting the Con in September.
What tire pressure are you running?

Current plan is to upgrade to a 35 and switch out the lift. The Procomp lift a has a transfer case drop that I would rather not have on the jeep and the current tires are badly cracking even on the sidewalls so I am going to be upgrading to the 35's sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah, 35s look the best, but you'll be spending some serious money on doing that right ;)

I had 35s on my TJ (granted I went overboard) and man did I spend A LOT of money. Of course I was using top shelf parts all the way, so that's probably part of it.

It's going to look good though on 35s!

Reactions: Midnight LJR
First phase is to replace the tires which have badly cracking sidewalls, and I would like to get rid of the transfer case drop.

I Picked up a set of 17" JK Moab's off craigslist and set of Spidertrax wheel spacers I plan to run 315/70r17's.

I am having a REALLY hard time deciding between the C rated KO2's and the D rated Duratracs?

I have the Duratracs on my Xterra and like them a lot, but will likely be doing at least a few trips down the rubicon a year and lots of other "expedition" style trips in Death Valley and it seems like I cannot pull up single thread on the Duratracs without someone mentioning weak sidewalls. Plus there is the D rated con so I might end up with the KO2's for that reason.

Going to order them tomorrow but cannot decide, keep going back and fourth. I also like to go up the snow a lot so wonder if the Duratracs would be better. I am sure I cannot got wrong wither way, I think if it wasn't for the D rating on the Duratracs and the sidewall thing I am always hearing about I would get them for sure.

I also ordered a Savvy Motor Mount Lift, 1.25" Body lift and a Cable shifter for the transfer case which hopefully should give me room for the 35's and allow me to remove the transfer case drop.

Reactions: tomtaylz
First phase is to replace the tires which have badly cracking sidewalls, and I would like to get rid of the transfer case drop.

I Picked up a set of 17" JK Moab's off craigslist and set of Spidertrax wheel spacers I plan to run 315/70r17's.

I am having a REALLY hard time deciding between the C rated KO2's and the D rated Duratracs?

I have the Duratracs on my Xterra and like them a lot, but will likely be doing at least a few trips down the rubicon a year and lots of other "expedition" style trips in Death Valley and it seems like I cannot pull up single thread on the Duratracs without someone mentioning weak sidewalls. Plus there is the D rated con so I might end up with the KO2's for that reason.

Going to order them tomorrow but cannot decide, keep going back and fourth. I also like to go up the snow a lot so wonder if the Duratracs would be better. I am sure I cannot got wrong wither way, I think if it wasn't for the D rating on the Duratracs and the sidewall thing I am always hearing about I would get them for sure.

I also ordered a Savvy Motor Mount Lift, 1.25" Body lift and a Cable shifter for the transfer case which hopefully should give me room for the 35's and allow me to remove the transfer case drop.

I have the KO2's on the same wheels at the same size. They are good for everything except mud, which I generally avoid. I have the 1.25" spidertrax too, doing it again I probably would have tried 1.5" as I have two washers behind my steering stops and I'm still rubbing a bit on the frame, control arms.

Clean rig, and welcome from another fellow NorCal jeeper! We have a group in the NorCal section hitting the Con in September.
What tire pressure are you running?

I would love to come with you guys if I can get everything squared away by then! I haven't been in a year because my wife and I had our first daughter.

Previous owner had em at 40! dropped it to 26 and its a lot better now.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Is the steering tie rods factory? If so, you'll want to put something heavier duty up there soon. Currie, or at least ZJ upgrade. I'll be curious to see what you think about your gearing with 35's.

I have the KO2's on the same wheels at the same size. They are good for everything except mud, which I generally avoid. I have the 1.25" spidertrax too, doing it again I probably would have tried 1.5" as I have two washers behind my steering stops and I'm still rubbing a bit on the frame, control arms.

Oh awesome, good to hear from someone with the same setup, I got the 1.25" too. Maybe should consider exchanging them before installing.

I would love to come with you guys if I can get everything squared away by then! I haven't been in a year because my wife and I had our first daughter.

Previous owner had em at 40! dropped it to 26 and its a lot better now.

Feel free to join us if you are squared away in time. There is a thread going in the NorCal section. I'm running KO2's, but in a 33. I've only been offroad once with them to Hollister Hills, and yep, they suck in the mud, but I knew that would be the case.

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Is the steering tie rods factory? If so, you'll want to put something heavier duty up there soon. Currie, or at least ZJ upgrade. I'll be curious to see what you think about your gearing with 35's.

Yeah its stock, I plan to get the currie setup for it I have it on my XJ and love it. I also need to deal with the drop pitman arm and track bar relocation bracket form the Procomp lift.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Here it how it sits as of today, finally bringing this thread up to date. It also came with a pretty much brand new trek top so I installed it for the summer, not sure I like the slant back, would prefer OEM style but this top was included so what the heck!

Things I am still finalizing are which Big Brake Kit to run, I know I am going to do a Black Magic Brake kit just need to call and talk to @mrblaine to see which he recommends for my application with towing the trailer etc.

Also still trying to decide which gears to get, seems to be between 4.88's and 5.13's Might opt for 5.13's because I will have the trailer behind me a lot which in CA results in 55mph speed limit. But need to do more research and get feedback from others before I decide.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 2.24.35 PM.png