Military Memes

The M777 Howitzer has some crazy stats.
1. 9,300 pounds (41% reduction from M198 Howitzer)
2. 155mm/6.1" 97 pound bullet
3. 25 mile range with Excalibur projectile
4. 35 foot combat length
5. 200" barrel
6. 5 rounds per minute fire rate

7. Up to 24 pounds of gun powder used for a single shot

1670300750136.png

• USA Proud
Reactions: Zorba and Mhass
1670433313741.png

On December 7th, 1941, at 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II.

https://fb.watch/hgwE6MbBsz/

• USA Proud
Reactions: Mhass and Zorba
Copied from a post in the Single Action Shooting Society Saloon:

Lots of us have family in the Armed Services that won't be home for Christmas.
“Boots in the House” means that an active-duty serviceman/woman is visiting home. This was written by an Air Force Mom.

Boots in the House

I’ll have no boots this season underneath my Christmas tree,
I tried to keep my hopes up, but it wasn’t meant to be.

I even wrote to Santa, so he wouldn’t be confused
With the size that I wanted, and how they would be used.

They’d be brown and mostly worn, and that would be just fine.
Because the person wearing them is what I have in mind.

I woke up Christmas morning, there were no boots to see.
Instead, a note from Santa is what was left for me.

I know you asked for “boots in the house,” I know I let you down.
But when I went to get the boots, this is what I found.

An Airman standing at the watch, and many working hard.
Several Airmen missing home while reading Christmas cards.

Christmas decorations were everywhere I roamed.
Seems they did their very best to make it feel like home.

I found the boots you asked for, neatly tucked away.
Inside there was a note for me, so I’d know just what to say.

Santa,
Please tell Mom I miss her, and all the family, too.
And as much as I would like to be home, I’ve got a job to do.

I brought with me my memories of all my Christmas’ past.
That’s something that will get me through, a gift you cannot wrap.

I figured you’d ask Santa to come and bring me home.
I’m asking him to let you know, it’s ok, I’m not alone.

My heart is always with you, but this is where I need to be.
I have my Air Force family, and this year, they have me.

Like those who came before us, we take turns standing guard.
Knowing those we love are safe makes it not so hard.

So don’t be mad at Santa, Mom, he obviously tried,
But this year I am standing watch with my family at my side.

He ended it with all his love, my eyes filled up with tears,
That child that I had raised was so wise beyond his years.

I have no boots for Christmas, underneath my Christmas tree.
Because the one who’s wearing them is hard at work protecting me.

God Bless all of our active Servicemen and women,
Thank you for your vigilance, dedication, and service,
And may you soon have your "Boots in the House".
default_FlagAm.gif

Present Day Picture of USS Utah’s wreck

1670474367602.png

NPS drawing of USS Utah’s wreck

1670474389238.png

NPS Sonar Mosaic of USS Utah’s wreck

1670474406405.png

On the other side of Ford Island in Pearl Harbor from USS Arizona lies the wreck of USS Utah BB-31 / AG-16, also sunk on December 7, 1941 - 81 years ago today
Entombed within the wreck are the remains of 54 Sailors and Baby Nancy
Nancy Lynne Wagner died two days after being born, she was the Daughter of one of the USS Utah sailors; Chief Yeoman Albert Thomas Dewitt Wagner
The Urn with Nancy’s ashes was in a locker on the ship and was supposed to be buried at sea the next trip out of Pearl Harbor
Albert Wagner survived the sinking of USS Utah, but the Urn with his daughter’s ashes wasn’t found during the salvage efforts, so the Sailors still entombed on USS Utah “watch over” her…

Pictures from NPS including a drawing of Utah’s wreck and a sonar mosaic

My movie clip was from 1984 - the grand ole classic "Fort Lost in the Woods, Misery". SSG Claude Levitt starring as himself in a movie destined to capture the hearts of everyone this holiday season.

Reactions: Wildman
My movie clip was from 1984 - the grand ole classic "Fort Lost in the Woods, Misery". SSG Claude Levitt starring as himself in a movie destined to capture the hearts of everyone this holiday season.

71rem6fMrkL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

05ae4882d2a14-jpg-a5b42ac1641ae6ebc42b49a2a5954250-jpg.384431

Makes a great alarm clock... I've done it a few times...

• USA Proud
Reactions: DEValken
I didn't think of any "movie clip", it reminded me when I was in boot camp.

Me, too! We had four of these cans in the barracks at Great Lakes. Two were for trash, one was the company commander's alarm clock, and the last was for our ditty bags. Every boot had to buy a small, rough cotton bag used to hold clothes to be washed. They are very stiff when new, so the CC had us fill the can halfway with water and clorox, and everybody's bag went into the can. Watchstanders had to stir it every 30 minutes. After three days, the bags were taken out and washed normally, distributed to the troops, then our names and serial numbers went onto our bag, which was tied, with a clove hitch, to our rack.

(Also, Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge)

When the draft was still on, they treated you like prisoners. Throw the garbage cans at you, they connected a few times. One guy got hit good with one. I had one drill instructor sneak up behind me and hit me in the back of the head.

• Wow
When the draft was still on, they treated you like prisoners. Throw the garbage cans at you, they connected a few times. One guy got hit good with one. I had one drill instructor sneak up behind me and hit me in the back of the head.

Even after the daft they didn't treat us very well. In 1978 when I'd joined, they still could hit you and treated us like shit. Had the few guys who wanted to challenge the drill but that didn't last long. Had two guys who went AWOL and they found them about 100 miles from Ft Dix at a McDonalds. Man did they fuck with those two guys for the rest of basic.

When I saw that meme before I thought of more than one movie where they used a garbage can as an alarm clock. I wasn't a drill instructor, but I was cadre in an NCO academy, and we got to treat the student NCO's almost like basic trainees. It was fun to watch some of the students get all butt hurt. I'd come in early and if my students weren't awake, I'd do the garbage can alarm. Only had to do it once or twice before they'd be awake when I'd show up at 5:20 for PT at 6.

_nc_ohc=GbX34s-7EHYAX_gBW0M&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

This photo is an exploded view of an actual B-29, showing many of the main components. The Chrysler DeSoto nose section is separated from the Goodyear built bomb bay fuselage sections. The Hudson built rear fuselage sections with the Goodyear vertical and horizontal tail and control surfaces can be seen. The main wing center section was built by Martin Omaha but the outer wing section components built by Hudson are visible. The Fisher Body engine nacelles have Chrysler built engine cowlings attached. Frigidaire props are off the Dodge built engines.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Claybirdd and Zorba