Missed opportunity

Ever thought about picking up drone flying as a hobby?
I recognize the need for them. I do not understand the complete lack of understanding about property lines and rights to privacy that most drone flyers seem to demonstrate. They use the argument that commercial airlines overfly our boundaries with no issue daily which is true. Your UAV at an altitude of sub 500 feet over my property however, is not the same thing.

I want to be a beta tester or first on the to buy list for that!
Projectile integrity is the problem to solve. The reason for balloons is they splat on impact and the damage is minimal. To get an elastic container that will withstand the launch velocity needed for an 800 foot launch requires a much higher level of strength and maybe the splat is not quite a splat any longer. I don't mind annoying someone, but I'd rather not inflict lasting damage if I miss the intended target.

Projectile integrity is the problem to solve. The reason for balloons is they splat on impact and the damage is minimal. To get an elastic container that will withstand the launch velocity needed for an 800 foot launch requires a much higher level of strength and maybe the splat is not quite a splat any longer. I don't mind annoying someone, but I'd rather not inflict lasting damage if I miss the intended target.
Might look into a Trebuchet type device. Compact, fairly accurate, and the acceleration to launch velocity is relatively easy to manage. There is a simular problem with the internal ballistics with soft cast lead bullets in long range rifles. It's solved by longer barrels and very slow powders. Less acceleration force over a longer period of time. Seems to work fine.

Reactions: GearJammer
Not my style. I am working on an idea for a water balloon launcher that is good for 815.88 feet though, since that is the exact distance from my back gate to his front door.
Best i could do is around 200ft before failure to launch. Had a 3ft barrel and ran off a co2 cylinder from a kegerator.

20150817_204909.jpg

Reactions: Steven_Olson
The three person slingshots will toss a water ballon a LONG way, but I'm not sure if they will do 800 feet. They use surgical tubing that stretches a long way to give the balloon a slow acceleration ramp.

Its the classic pumpkin shooter problem. How to you take something soft, and shoot it a LONG way?

The three person slingshots will toss a water ballon a LONG way, but I'm not sure if they will do 800 feet. They use surgical tubing that stretches a long way to give the balloon a slow acceleration ramp.

Its the classic pumpkin shooter problem. How to you take something soft, and shoot it a LONG way?
Shoot it a long distance and not inflict too much bodily harm should your aim wind up better than you intended.

Shoot it a long distance and not inflict too much bodily harm should your aim wind up better than you intended.
Right...you gotta go for that 825 foot range...just enough velocity to make it break, but not so much that its going to knock the poor guy down.

Its the ultimate Stat-a-pult problem! Its a Design of Experiments where at the end you get to soak someone with a water balloon!

Reactions: Steven_Olson