Utah Moab 2024 JuneFest 9th-15th

Talk is ensuing…Boys don’t really want to walk. Mom wants them to walk. 😑

As someone who didn't graduate high school nor get a chance to walk I'll say they need to walk.

And having a kid who graduated during COVID I know she misses not getting to walk... You only get to do it ONCE...

As someone who didn't graduate high school nor get a chance to walk I'll say they need to walk.

And having a kid who graduated during COVID I know she misses not getting to walk... You only get to do it ONCE...

Thanks Rick. I agree buddy. These are good boys. They don’t want to walk, but their mom does, and that’s big. Kaleb told me, “Dad, going to Moab is more important than walking across a stage.” He’s sweet. But I know that the parents get the opportunity to give a speech to their son or daughter, and I did that for my oldest daughter and it meant a lot to her, so it would be hard for me to miss that because I was so selfish. He said, “yeah, but that’s why you built your rig.” I said, “yeah, but I spent my life building you, and that’s far more important.” Then I invited him to go to Moab the next week and he told me he was thinking about selling his rig, so the next two hours we had a long talk. I’m behind whatever he wants to do. It’s his life, and I’m just a part at this point. It’s good to know he wants to talk and grow.

Thanks Rick. I agree buddy. These are good boys. They don’t want to walk, but their mom does, and that’s big. Kaleb told me, “Dad, going to Moab is more important than walking across a stage.” He’s sweet. But I know that the parents get the opportunity to give a speech to their son or daughter, and I did that for my oldest daughter and it meant a lot to her, so it would be hard for me to miss that because I was so selfish. He said, “yeah, but that’s why you built your rig.” I said, “yeah, but I spent my life building you, and that’s far more important.” Then I invited him to go to Moab the next week and he told me he was thinking about selling his rig, so the next two hours we had a long talk. I’m behind whatever he wants to do.

You can go to Moab any time... It's going to be there next year or this fall or when ever you can make it.

Them walking is WAY MORE important.

You can go to Moab any time... It's going to be there next year or this fall or when ever you can make it.

Them walking is WAY MORE important.

100%

Next summer will be my goal, but it may be hard to figure out. I’m booked this Fall and Spring with absolutely no time off. We’re supposed to have a longer vacation next year along the Oregon coast, to the Redwoods, Sequoia’s, Yosemite, and then down to Tahoe and Grand Canyon before coming home. We’ll see if that even works out. One of the twins is courting a girl and it looks like they’ll be getting married sometime next year, so if that happens all bets are off. I may just have to get in the rig and drive to Moab some random time and find a group at a trailhead and go.

If anyone going has the 97-03 steering box and the savvy skid, I'd be interested in feeling if mine is noticeably hotter in it's boxed-in skid

If anyone going has the 97-03 steering box and the savvy skid, I'd be interested in feeling if mine is noticeably hotter in it's boxed-in skid

Mine is a 97 with the saginaw box and unlike last year, I now have warn steering skid which mostly encloses the bottom. Increased heat isn’t something I’ve thought to worry about with the skid. Also, heat rises and its not covered on top. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: lBasket
Mine is a 97 with the saginaw box and unlike last year, I now have warn steering skid which mostly encloses the bottom. Increased heat isn’t something I’ve thought to worry about with the skid. Also, heat rises and its not covered on top. 🤷‍♂️

Just curious really, was looking into it when I was thinking about flat tow options and saw some mentions of heat dissipation. I've had mine on for a few years now so if it was a problem it'd have been one by now, but still curious

Reactions: Wildman and Woodrow
Talk is ensuing…Boys don’t really want to walk. Mom wants them to walk. 😑

I didn't "walk", I was 200 miles away that nite. Didn't care then, don't care now. But that's me - we all know I'm weird! I'm just not much on rituals, although that stance has softened somewhat as I've aged.

Reactions: JMT
Btw, my wife will be joining this time.
Gonna be too hot for my wife with COPD - heat kicks her butt, and combined with trying to corral feisty twins on long days would be triple tough - so it'll be me and 2 buddies.
One of them is out on the 12th and the other on the 14th so I might bail a day early so we can caravan home together on the 14th, both trailering.
Also, he has Top of the World on his must-do list so we'll pick a day to get that done.. but I do want to wheel with you experienced folks at least a few days, albeit likely the less challenging trails on the list.

This chart was from 2022. Wondering which channel(s) and DCS code you folks want for June? Assuming there will be radios. We're running GMRS. I doubt we need more than one channel for 8 rigs. 16/D223?
I might change up if we do separate runs however.

I'd like to get ours programmed to match y'all before we hit the road on the 8th.

GroupGMRS Channel (freq)DCSCB Channel
TJ Fest16 (462.575)D223N20
Hyphens (CO)17 (462.600)D223N30
LJs18 (462.625)D223N
N/A19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N

Reactions: Woodrow
This chart was from 2022. Wondering which channel(s) and DCS code you folks want for June? Assuming there will be radios. We're running GMRS. I doubt we need more than one channel for 8 rigs. 16/D223?

I'd like to get ours programmed to match y'all before we hit the road on the 8th.

LJs18 (462.625)D223N
N/A19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N

I have all the original Dino channels programmed in so those all work for me.

I also carry a couple Rugged handhelds for loaners that are typically used every year by someone.

LJs18 (462.625)D223N
N/A19 (462.650)D223N
N/A20 (462.675)D223N

We used GMRS last year (16 or 18 maybe?). As I recall, we talked about using a privacy code but didn't and it wasn't really necessary.

We used GMRS last year (16 or 18 maybe?). As I recall, we talked about using a privacy code but didn't and it wasn't really necessary.

I think we didn't because not everyone got theirs working. In June, traffic isn't that high so it's not bad. When we did it in April there was a lot more communication.

My radio was picking up static from other people (I think that's where it was from) every few seconds the entire time it was on on the channels we used last year. Would a privacy code prevent that?

Reactions: Apparition
My radio was picking up static from other people (I think that's where it was from) every few seconds the entire time it was on on the channels we used last year. Would a privacy code prevent that?

No idea. Maybe? I think the code only allows you to hear users on the channel who are using the same code. Others can still hear you unless their group is using a different privacy code. But I really no nothing about GMRS.

Yes, you'll only hear the other people running the same code. Everyone not running the code, will still hear everyone running the code and everyone running the channel.

Yes, you'll only hear the other people running the same code. Everyone not running the code, will still hear everyone running the code and everyone running the channel.

Ok cool.

If I can find the program dino used I'll bring my laptop and cord so I can program radios. It'd be nice to have the privacy code, that static was driving me bonkers last year lol. I think that's why I ended up borrowing one from you?

Reactions: Apparition
that static was driving me bonkers last year

Just an FYI - most radios have a squelch adjustment for just this scenario. It allows you to raise the minimum signal strength that triggers the receiver. The static you were hearing was a weak (distant) signal. Adjusting the squelch will tune that out, and the stronger (closer) signals will still get through.

• Wow
Reactions: Woodrow and lBasket
Just an FYI - most radios have a squelch adjustment for just this scenario. It allows you to raise the minimum signal strength that triggers the receiver. The static you were hearing was a weak (distant) signal. Adjusting the squelch will tune that out, and the stronger (closer) signals will still get through.

Ohhh. Maybe I'll try to figure that out then. Obviously, I don't know anything about gmrs either lol. I just know how to plug it in and hit "load config" on the software haha