Modern Western Movies?

As already stated any of the Clint Eastwood's are some of my favorites. And Lonesome Dove is my favorite movie ever period. I haven't seen anyone mention Along the Great Divide with Kirk Douglas, i like it. I also like Young Guns 1&2. Its pretty long but Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner, it may have been a mini series?

Currently working down this list myself rewatching many of my old favorites this is a list my movie geek friend put together for me to make sure I don’t miss any.

Stage coach 1939 (classical western)
My darling clementine 1946
Red river 1948
High noon 1952
Shane 1953
The searchers 1956
3:10 to Yuma 1957
Rio bravo 1959
The magnificent seven 1960
one eyed jacks 1961
The man who shot liberty valence 1962
Hombre 1967
Once upon a time in the west 1968
Hang em high 1968
The wild bunch 1969
True grit 1969
ButchCassidy and the Sundance kid 1969
The man with no name trilogy
Fistful of dollars-1964
For a few dollars more-1965
the good the bad and the ugly-1968
paint your wagon 1969
little big man 1970
Jeremiah Johnson 1972
joe kidd 1972
high planes drifter 1973
blazing saddles 1974
the Missouri breaks 1976
the shootist 1976
The outlaw Josey wales 1976
the long riders 1980
Pale Rider 1985
Silverado 1985
Lonesome dove series 1989
Dances with wolves 1990
City slickers 1991
Unforgiven 1991 (revisionist)
Tombstone 1993
Wyatt Earp 1994
the quick and the dead 1995
deadman 1995
open range 2003
The missing 2003
the assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford 2007
3:10 to Yuma 2007
Appaloosa 2008
True grit 2010
Django unchained 2012
homesman 2014
the revenant 2015
bone tomahawk 2015
Hateful eight 2015
hostels 2017

My two favorites westerns as of now are lonesome dove series, and open range.

But I have missed a lot of the old ones so am watching them now.

Just started “The Searchers” last night. Looking forward to watching this whole list have been going through the order.

@Chris Have you watched justified? Modern western but a lot of fun.
Not sure how Deadwood the series and then after that the movie didn't make that list but it should have. Tidy that up with the Hell on Wheels series and that will keep you entertained for a bit.

Not sure how Deadwood the series and then after that the movie didn't make that list but it should have. Tidy that up with the Hell on Wheels series and that will keep you entertained for a bit.
Great suggestion. Haven’t seen the movie yet but I did recently pick it up for $5 at Walmart.

That's right, I forgot about those two series somehow!

Reactions: Rick Flair
I grew up watching the old westerns and to this day I still have a love hate relationship with westerns. The new ones aren't as great, but I still love the imagery. So I watch them.

Modern ones:

Unforgiven(hands down)
True grit(newer version) Yes it is a remake
Cowboys and Aliens(wasn't that bad and visually it was pretty interesting)
The Missing
No Country for old men
Star Wars (the first one, I don't care who wants to keep renumbering them) even though it is a 1977 movie, it is still a modern western.

edit: Honorable mention, Hell or High Water. Almost forgot

Reactions: anarce
Great suggestion. Haven’t seen the movie yet but I did recently pick it up for $5 at Walmart.

I loved the series and was pissed they canceled it. Was really excited for the movie and it did tie up the loose ends but for me, it felt rushed like they crammed two seasons into it. Won’t say it not worth watching but I prepped for the movie by watching the series again and it just didn’t have the same feel for me.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I loved the series and was pissed they canceled it. Was really excited for the movie and it did tie up the loose ends but for me, it felt rushed like they crammed two seasons into it. Won’t say it not worth watching but I prepped for the movie by watching the series again and it just didn’t have the same feel for me.

Why did they cancel it? Numbers I assume?

I heard it was very good and still need to watch it.

Reactions: Apparition

I’ll add them, I believe he was trying to leave off tv series.

But I’ll add them because forgot about them and have been intending to watch them.

What about The History Channel mini-series, Hatfields & McCoys? Is it any good?

Bill Paxton is one of my favorite actors. Such a shame he dies.

1602507908585.gif

• Haha
It was good. That is a bit east to be a western.

I know, I realized that after posting it that it wasn’t so much a western. However, Deadwood might not be much of a western either since it’s a bit north. I guess at this point we are splitting hairs.

• Haha
I know, I realized that after posting it that it wasn’t so much a western. However, Deadwood might not be much of a western either since it’s a bit north. I guess at this point we are splitting hairs.
Pretty difficult to define something with Wild Bill and Calamity Jane in it as not being western especially since he is buried there.

Pretty difficult to define something with Wild Bill and Calamity Jane in it as not being western especially since he is buried there.
Both are buried there. Everytime we go we have to pay to go see the graves because my gf is a history nut. Luckily this year we didn’t have to hike up to Bullocks grave.