Modern Western Movies?

In my mind the setting of the old west always made it a western. However, I suppose if you include some famous names, then it can take place anywhere and still be a western to some degree.

Of course maybe all it takes is 6 shooters and cowboy hats? 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:

In my mind the setting of the old west always made it a western. However, I suppose if you include some famous names, then it can take place anywhere and still be a western to some degree.

Of course maybe all it takes is 6 shooters and cowboy hats? 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:
Spurs and whores too

Not sure how Deadwood the series and then after that the movie didn't make that list but it should have. Tidy that up with the Hell on Wheels series and that will keep you entertained for a bit.
One of my favorite series ever. "Wu and Swearengen, Hang Dai."

Reactions: Rick Flair
I have got to be the last guy on earth to have not seen "Tombstone", yet. However, I just picked up the DVD at a pawn shop, so maybe this weekend. The wife and I watched "Unforgiven" after hearing all kinds of great stuff about it, and I have to say that neither of us was overly impressed. We both really liked "Hateful Eight", though there were a few awkward moments there. I must be getting old, or something. And depending on what you're using as the basis for a modern western, I'd say that there's nothing quite like "Blazing Saddles". Maybe thankfully so, but regardless, it's a hoot!

Last edited:
I just watched the new (2016) Magnificent Seven and it was pretty entertaining.. not very realistic but a fun change to see a modern western with recognizable faces.

I'd like to contribute to that list on the first page: not a western per se, but if you haven't seen the Firefly TV series or Serenity movie, I would definitely recommend them both. Very well-orchestrated mix of sci-fi with old-time western feel and action.

Reactions: anarce
Really wish the Western genre would make a comeback, although seeing the garbage Hollywood has been releasing lately I don't have any hope they would make anything good. They would probably change the horses into unicorns and since the term "cowboy" isn't inclusive enough it would be changed to "bovineperson" or some crap.

Unforgiven is by far my favorite western movie. Amazing cast with some great performances. The best scene has to be when Clint Eastwood starts drinking again and rolls into the bar with the shotgun looking for Little Bill.

Tombstone is a very close second, followed by the classic Blazing Saddles

1603551666596.gif

Finally...finally watched Tombstone. Lots of big names in that one, to be sure, but Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holiday was easily the most memorable of all the characters, IMO. To all you folks who touted the movie as being great, you were right. Top shelf stuff. (y)
Yeah! "Now" everyone in the world has seen Tombstone. One of my favorites! Yes, Val Kilmer did an outstanding job.