Modification of OEM Air Box

i'd use a piece of window screen before i'd use a k&n filter. ran 1 on a cummins and wont EVER waste my money on another !

I did a local race with a friend and the rubber boot attaching his filter to the intake tube ripped open early in the 50 or so miles we raced. In the middle of summer in eastern Oregon, there was so much silt in the air we could barely see the front of the hood. Got back home and pulled literal handfuls of dirt from the intake tube, like a mason jars worth of dirt sitting on the table. Engines still running though lol

My point is a bit of dirt in the intake doesn't really do much. Some of ya'll have never run a K&N air filter and it shows.
I ran one one my GMC z71 for about 50,000 miles and had a dirty intake tube everytime I cleaned the filter. That fine of dust may be negligible but is a tiny (if any) performance gain worth the risk of decreasing engine life? I still have one on my 400ex sport quad and it is the same - intake tube always dirty. I left it on the the 400ex since it has mild engine work done and would not run without filter/air box mod's. Unless the factory box is underdesigned or one is going for every last inch of horsepower, why take the chance?

But the way that filter is rigged up I'd be scared of larger particles slipping through the perimeter seal, big difference between that and running a K&N properly.

I ran one one my GMC z71 for about 50,000 miles and had a dirty intake tube everytime I cleaned the filter. That fine of dust may be negligible but is a tiny (if any) performance gain worth the risk of decreasing engine life? I still have one on my 400ex sport quad and it is the same - intake tube always dirty. I left it on the the 400ex since it has mild engine work done and would not run without filter/air box mod's. Unless the factory box is underdesigned or one is going for every last inch of horsepower, why take the chance?

But the way that filter is rigged up I'd be scared of larger particles slipping through the perimeter seal, big difference between that and running a K&N properly.
One could easily make the case that larger particles are far less damaging since they can't get by the valve seals and piston rings.

Okay so the outstanding question, why run an air filter on an internal combustion engine at all?
because it keeps the air filter manufacturers in business. same with the oil filters, thats why i just use a by-pass on mine no filter needed. after all how much dirt can get in the oil ? and just what would those little metal shavings hurt anyway ? as long as you change the oil every 15 or 20k miles it's all good !

Okay so the outstanding question, why run an air filter on an internal combustion engine at all?

You don't actually need to. Of course it will be that one time you don't where somehow a penny or something manages to get sucked into your intake and destroys your engine.

And if some dirt of some level did happen to make its way into the intake, then what? How does that take out a motor in 10,000 miles?
Well... If he happens to drive past the plant that manufactures Aquarium gravel and sucks that into the intake..... it will cause internal engine damage.

gravel.jpg

Seriously though, Ingesting abrasives thru the intake and into the combustion chamber can cause scuffing of the cylinder wall and piston skirt which will can result in oil consumption.
I have seen it on vehicles where people install CAI with shitty filters. hint...hint.... K&N.

Will it happen in 10k or 50k who knows.

Last edited:
Oil bath air cleaner FTW!

Somewhat serious question: How do oil bath cleaners measure up to other types? I always liked them.
That's what was used for all motocross bikes in the old days (90s). Oil stops dirt from entering and air too. Didn't effect anything back then when people didn't know any better. People listen to too much internet shit and believe half of it. How else can Biden/Harris be explained?

Ran a K&N for years on my Banshee, kept it wet and always ran a pre-filter on the filter so not super beneficial. But it still runs fine.