Modification of OEM Air Box

Ok. Some of you need some basic manners. Seriously. Attached is a photo of what I did. All I can say is that driving the TJ with same barometric pressure, same air temperature, humidity, and same fuel,..... with this modification, my TJ doesn't seem to bog down at 1500 rpm and it now maintains 90 MPH on the highway. Before the modification, I had the peddle to the floor (literally) to hold 78 MPH. So,..it is what it is.
Cheers View attachment 280291
Your performance issues are not being caused by the factory air intake system. The factory intake is proven and well known to be able to easily flow far more air than the engine can consume at WOT and redline rpms. It was specifically designed to be completely non-restrictive, which is not true with all factory air intakes. I heard that personally during a phone conversation with Jim Repp, now retired but who was Jeep's senior most engineer when the TJ was introduced. He is also known as the "father" of the TJ Rubicon introduced in 2003.

Ok. Some of you need some basic manners. Seriously. Attached is a photo of what I did. All I can say is that driving the TJ with same barometric pressure, same air temperature, humidity, and same fuel,..... with this modification, my TJ doesn't seem to bog down at 1500 rpm and it now maintains 90 MPH on the highway. Before the modification, I had the peddle to the floor (literally) to hold 78 MPH. So,..it is what it is.

To concur with Jerry, the air intake isn't your performance issue. Furthermore, there's no way in blue hell your modification could help an aerodynamic brick of a wrangler overcome physics such that it could top out 12mph faster. The amount of horsepower required to do that is more than an intake of any sort can provide you. Thinking that makes clear a lack of understanding of the relationship between horsepower and miles per hour. Or how difficult it is to make n/a horsepower.

Next upgrade:

turbo joke.jpg

200.gif

Why even zip tie the air filter to the lid? If you’re going to do that just remove the intake pipe off the throttle body. Maybe she will break 100 mph too!

hey thats the same supercharger i have on my 4.0 . now that damn upshift indicator never turns off. i had a hell of a time trying to get the throttle cables connected and timed so it would open the throttle on the blower at the same time as engine, but now a viper aint got a chance when we line up ! i can hold 130 mph even uphill !

Last edited:
if you REALLY wanna go fast add some 25" fuel rims,
they cut down on wind resistance 😉