Modification of OEM Air Box

You've seen the same dirt from a K&N in the air tube and throttle body, no?
I have seen a lot of dirt in TJ intake piping from shitty air filters. I’ve also inspected way too many failed engines that had high blow by, low power, misfires, or knock(detonation) which the root cause was dirt ingestion. Dirt does not belong in an engine. Full face wear on piston rings, broken piston rings, wore out ring grooves, and polished cylinder walls are all a result of dirt ingestion.

I've seen the dirt in the tube...on the throttle plate...in the intake and runners.
I've seen what it can do to the cylinders and piston skirts.
I am I singling out a K&N filter? No.
A lot of the aftermarket filters cause the same potential problem. If I was going to run an aftermarket filter, I would also consider using a prefilter.

A few years ago, I was diagnosing an oil consumption issue on a 5.3 Silverado. The air box screws were stripped so it was not sealing correctly. The intake had copious amounts of dirt in it. Cylinder leak down readings were way out of spec.
Upon tear down you saw the damage to the cylinder walls and pistons. If I remember correctly it started about 20k miles after his local shop recommended he replace the damaged air box.

• Haha
Reactions: chimmike
I've seen the dirt in the tube...on the throttle plate...in the intake and runners.
A lot of the aftermarket filters cause the same potential problem. If I was going to run an aftermarket filter, I would also consider using a prefilter.

A few years ago, I was diagnosing an oil consumption issue on a 5.3 Silverado. The air box screws were stripped so it was not sealing correctly. The intake had copious amounts of dirt in it. Cylinder leak down readings were way out of spec.
Upon tear down you saw the damage to the cylinder walls and pistons. If I remember correctly it started about 20k miles after his local shop recommended he replace the damaged air box.

He should've at least put on some zip ties

A single pre-filter didn't stop my K&N of many years ago from passing too much dirt. I ended up having to place a second prefilter, an oiled foam Uniflow, over the K&N Precharger pre-filter whose fit was so bad that dirty air flowed around it.

K&N.jpg
K&N1.JPG
K&N2.JPG

K&N.jpg

K&N1.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
A single pre-filter didn't stop my K&N of many years ago from passing too much dirt. I ended up having to place a second prefilter, an oiled foam Unifilter, over the K&N Precharger pre-filter filter whose fit was so bad that dirty air flowed around it.

View attachment 280678View attachment 280679View attachment 280680

View attachment 280678

View attachment 280679
I should retract my previous comment. I would never consider running one.

But.... how much horsepower did you gain?:):):)

Last edited:
There's a lot of knowledgeable👨‍🎓 motorheads🏎️ here maybe yall can help me. I'm having the darndest time finding an air filter for my outboard motor🛥️ what should I do :unsure::unsure::unsure:?