Modifications and advice for extreme cold

One of the other things to look into is a cold weather cover for the grill on your Jeep. As Wtrask said his anti-freeze turned into slush. If the wind is blowing on your radiator all night it might only be -10 but with wind chill it can be colder.

I know this isn't a JEEP but it shows what a winter front looks like.

Some people just put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator.
Wind chill has no affect on the actual temperature such that -10 with a -40 windchill does not equal -40 with zero windchill. The moving air transfers heat more rapidly through convection, which is why a convection air fryer makes such great French fries compared to a conventional oven. Likewise, air blowing through a radiator convects the heat at a rate determined by the air speed and temperature differential. Traveling down the highway at -10, the air convects the heat away from the radiator at a rate that the engine still maintains a good operating temperature. At -40, the convection is so great that most cars can't get to a good operating temperature. A cold weather bra or piece of cardboard reduces the air flow and decreases convection through the radiator, which increases the antifreeze temperature to a comfortable operating zone, keeps me warm, and eliminates the complaints of my passengers. And that's more than I really know about thermodynamics and fluid dynamics, and just caused a collective cringe from the engineers in the forum whether they read this or not!

Reactions: Blondie70
Yep after living in Barrow for 3 years I KNOW all about windchill and the affects it can have on you and the rigs you are trying to drive be it a truck or a snowmobile. Or for the few of us who have the had the fun of it a dog sled out across the tundra.

Yep thanks for the input. Those of you who live up there in AK are a lot better at offering advice than this old guy who hasn't been there since the mid 80's.

Yep after living in Barrow for 3 years I KNOW all about windchill and the affects it can have on you and the rigs you are trying to drive be it a truck or a snowmobile. Or for the few of us who have the had the fun of it a dog sled out across the tundra.

Yep thanks for the input. Those of you who live up there in AK are a lot better at offering advice than this old guy who hasn't been there since the mid 80's.
Running dogs on a clear night with the moon reflecting off the snow is fabulous! I had a job offer in Barrow and declined it because it’s windy and dark all winter. Living in Dutch Harbor, Nome, and Fairbanks for 28 years, I prefer the extreme temperatures in the winter and summer in Fairbanks over the relentless wind of Dutch, Nome and Barrow. Tech has improved but the wind always puts the snow where you don’t want it, such as in your engine bay, intake, tail pipe, goggles, gloves, etc. Windchill is a good way to measure the affect of wind against bare skin so people understand that frostbite on a windy cold day is more likely than on a colder yet calm day. I can stand outside for about 10 minutes in jeans and a winter coat at -40. When I don’t move, I can feel the air warm up around me. At -1 with a -40 windchill, I‘m miserable after 30 seconds, even with multiple layers of arctic grade outdoor gear. The wind convects heat off your skin faster than the blood in your capillaries can warm it resulting in frozen skin or worse…

Hey, enough of the cold, it’s been a long winter, How’s the heat in Moab?

Planning to re-gear and add selectable lockers front and rear in the near future. I am leaning towards installing ARB Air lockers, vs Eaton E-Lockers at the moment. Does the cold up there have any adverse effects on air compressors or air lines?

I've knocked a few of items off the to-do list like a new battery and blanket. Hoping to experiment a bit and add some insulation to my aftermarket hardtop. Looks pretty similar to the interior of the OEM top, with only the addition of caps covering the roof rack hardware.

I am moving to Fairbanks AK this winter and looking for advice on modifications to help the old gal survive Alaska temps. I figure I need an oil pan heater and battery heater (looking for recommendations on brands). Currently looking into getting remote start (no experience with adding to a manual). Also looking into adding some kind of hardtop insulation and replacing the worn out carpet/insulation. Working on sourcing stock rims to run studded tires on as well.

Any input or additional items would be appreciated.
Heated seats. Check on line,kits start at about 79 bucks

Planning to re-gear and add selectable lockers front and rear in the near future. I am leaning towards installing ARB Air lockers, vs Eaton E-Lockers at the moment. Does the cold up there have any adverse effects on air compressors or air lines?

I've knocked a few of items off the to-do list like a new battery and blanket. Hoping to experiment a bit and add some insulation to my aftermarket hardtop. Looks pretty similar to the interior of the OEM top, with only the addition of caps covering the roof rack hardware.
Properly installed ARB works fine. Just take extra care in compressor mounting and hose routing to make sure things are protected and not introducing moisture into the system.

Everything suffers at -40. Find out from ARB the grade of the lines they use. Anything high pressure is prone to fail if less than arctic grade rubber.

Reactions: NDSpeed
I dont know if someone already wrote about it but install double windshield and other windows, and i m pretty sure autonomous heaters like webasto are not extremely pricey in us unlike here, you can put one beside driver seat. Also dont use all season tyres, buy proper -30 c ones that will not become bricks in extreme colder days, jeep control is very bad on ice and snow

I dont know if someone already wrote about it but install double windshield and other windows, and i m pretty sure autonomous heaters like webasto are not extremely pricey in us unlike here, you can put one beside driver seat. Also dont use all season tyres, buy proper -30 c ones that will not become bricks in extreme colder days, jeep control is very bad on ice and snow
What is this double windshield of which you speak? The winter air is so dry in Fairbanks that my daughter will hang her wool sweaters outside to dry. Even Blizzaks will freeze and have the flat spot to the ground at -40c but those are still the best winter tires for Fairbanks. (Don’t worry, the tires warm up after a couple minutes of “Flintstone-mobile” driving). Lots of cars run all-season tires in the winter. At least the cars that tend to leave their bumper and grill plastic in the intersections😂

Well the Jeep made it to Fairbanks and is already getting its butt whooped by the Alaska cold. And it's pretty warm this week around 0° F and above (compared to last weeks -40s).

I picked the Jeep up today and it was stored inside overnight prior to me picking it up. No issues leaving the shipping center. Later today, after being outside for awhile my NSG370 developed a very faint ticking noise while engine braking. I didn't think much of it at the time as the NSG370 can be loud. But after running some errands around town at 4° F, the noise has steadily grown to concerning levels. Anytime I am not on the gas and moving, a loud ticking can be heard that gets faster with vehicle speed. In gear, out of gear, clutch in, clutch out.... any time I am moving and not accelerating. I have a hard time believing that this is normal in cold conditions, but WTH do I know. Hoping that someone may have some experience with this and I will continue to troubleshoot tomorrow when I finish winterizing. I was wrong to think I had some time and would be safe with coolant tested to -45° F.

BTW, I found every.....single......tiny hole in my firewall real quick on the highway 🥶🥶🥶🥶.

Well the Jeep made it to Fairbanks and is already getting its butt whooped by the Alaska cold. And it's pretty warm this week around 0° F and above (compared to last weeks -40s).

I picked the Jeep up today and it was stored inside overnight prior to me picking it up. No issues leaving the shipping center. Later today, after being outside for awhile my NSG370 developed a very faint ticking noise while engine braking. I didn't think much of it at the time as the NSG370 can be loud. But after running some errands around town at 4° F, the noise has steadily grown to concerning levels. Anytime I am not on the gas and moving, a loud ticking can be heard that gets faster with vehicle speed. In gear, out of gear, clutch in, clutch out.... any time I am moving and not accelerating. I have a hard time believing that this is normal in cold conditions, but WTH do I know. Hoping that someone may have some experience with this and I will continue to troubleshoot tomorrow when I finish winterizing. I was wrong to think I had some time and would be safe with coolant tested to -45° F.

BTW, I found every.....single......tiny hole in my firewall real quick on the highway 🥶🥶🥶🥶.
Yeah the cold showed up early this year. Had -21 here at my house on the Kenai more than once in the last month. Way to early for that.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman

And we have t-shirt weather coming this weekend! Any time it's 60 degrees warmer, it's t-shirt weather:cool:

I'm not sure what the noise is. Mine makes some interesting sounds at -40, too. I don't usually hear them, though, under all my layers to stay warm. Does it change with speed or RPMs? Did you take it up the highway to a hill and coast down in idle RPMs. Take the Steese Hwy to the Alaska Pipeline, coasting down the hill in neutral, 2WD, 4WD, etc. to check all options.

I have about 6 quarts of MT-90 if you need it now and can get a bay at the automotive skills center (call or send me a text). I bought 3 gallons on Amazon prime and changed the fluids in my son's Jeep. Mine's next but isn't imperative. MT-90 works OK if you let it warm up for 5 minutes before heading out. Mostly, OK, since driving the highway at -40 degrees cools the transmission as fast as it can heat up.

BTW, I thought I mentioned you would find every pin hole in your firewall?🥶🥶:ROFLMAO: How are your headlights? The nights are long and ice fog is for real.

You will probably not find one. Go with Zerostart they make a decent heater.
We always used the circulation type tank heaters back in the day, pre-fuel injection, in Montana. Advantage I see is no need to remove a freeze plug since they plumb into the heater hose line. Wide open to hearing pro/con of each, tho'.
Haven't seen sustained -30 temps in NE NV for 30 years.

We are down here in the lower 48 complaining about how boring it is. Nothing is frozen. Heaters are working. Tires are round.

But it just doesn’t have that Christmas feeling.

We sure are missing Fairbanks.