Modifications you wish your TJs previous owner didn't do

The PO did a 4"Procomp lift stock CAs, TC drop. At least the track bar was not relocated and a stock pitman arm. At one point it had 35s on it now 33s until they are toast then I will go to 31s on 2"OME and call it done

Reactions: JMT
These tires and wheels.

The wife and I took it for a teat run, it seemed fine for 15 miles. About 10 miles after we bought it DW started.

A new track bar, a front end alignment and getting those tires balanced did nothing to fix DW.

20180423_175100.jpeg

Replacing them with these 15 months ago fixed everything

20180805_163125.jpg

well.....Lets see...

there is a lot of things. But these are the 2 biggest issues I have with the PO

A full spool from Yukon. I mean who runs a spool in a Dana 44?

spool.jpeg

and this "DIY" motor mount to fix sheered bolts and broken bosses...

motor mount.jpeg

The spool has been replaced with an open carrier and as hard as it is to believe, I actually replaced the motor mount with one from Brown Dog.

Edited to mention the 4" skyjacker lift compete with lower control arms, drop pitman arm, skyjacker front track bar that actually mounts in the steering stabilizer bracket, and shocks that will jar your teeth out.

I'm fixing it, one baby step at a time.

Unless you're replacing a damaged fender, MCE and Metalcloak won't give you any gains. You'll need a true highline fender to see benefits.

The gains quickly decrease above a 33" tire and largely disappear at 37", as you know. The back wall of the fender opening gets in the way earlier than the top.

Dig through the last year of my build thread. There is a lot of discussion of those two. MCE has the advantage. Even moreso with some fab work.

Unless you're replacing a damaged fender, MCE and Metalcloak won't give you any gains. You'll need a true highline fender to see benefits.

hmmmm...conflicting info here lol

But tbh, the reason this mod hasn't bubbled it's way to the top of my list yet is right now, I wouldn't gain anything even with a highline fender because my 32x11.5 tires aren't first contact - my track bar/diff cover is. Once I go to 4" springs and 33" tires things might be different...but I may still end up doing fenders anyway just because as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I like the looks. I also like the MCE's pricetag a lot better than the Metalcloak.

The PO added a lot of wires for the sound system. Very poor job. Do a little each time Im working on it. Down to pulling all the wires off the battery.

Previous owner put power door lock solenoids in the doors then just cut the wires and shoved them behind the door panels. It took me years to figure out the locks weren't supposed to be that stiff.

There isn't. The key to understanding what happens is understanding the ramifications of increasingly larger tires.

yeah I hadn't seen your post about the benefits vs tire size when I posted that. makes sense now.

Reactions: jjvw
35's like this:
Upper front and lower rear rubicon express (or worse) control arms. Factory lower front and upper rear. Factory track bars front and rear. 2" springs + 2" spacer in front. Shocks that don't absorb shock...some no label black body? No additional bump stops.

Otherwise super clean Rubicon - It's on 33's now with currie / savvy parts halfway completed.

Will begin by saying that i got my Jeep while returning from a 3 day road trip, and i knew nothing about jeeps back then. So i was just as dumb for purchasing a car while being sleepy, exhausted and uneducated as the PO who mutilated this poor Jeep.

1) This genius slapped wide 33's MT on stock Dana 30/35 with 3.07 gears.
Initially i and local shop though that rear under body was covered in some sort of protector, because i got that jeep in northern state. After becoming more educated and spending more and more time under the Jeep, i discovered that something blew up inside that Dana 35 dif, and underbody was actually covered in dif oil.

2) 4.5 Lift by god knows who, without any modification to accept such lift.

3) Pitman arm drop, that took local shop 6 hours of banging and torching to take off.

4) Did a TC drop by using some table legs as spacers.
In the process of TC drop, PO realized that original skid plate bolts are not long enough, so he used what ever bolts he had. In the process of using what ever he had, managed to break off all of the nuts inside the frame on passenger side. As a result, this genius drilled 3 holes inside the frame to unscrew his screw up.

5) Attached AtoZfabrication rock sliders to the side of the body without any preparation to the body. As a result, there is a rust hole on driver side that i recently discovered after taking them off. Which finally explained where the water coming from after the rain.
Somehow lost or didn't have all the bolts. He did put AtoZ sticker under the hood, so im sure that he did purchase it, and didn't salvage from someone. Sides required countersunk type of bolt, this genius used carriage bolts. It is beyond my grasp of imagination what drove him to this decision and how did he managed to make it work. Took me good 3 hours to cut them off thats for sure.
Didn't even bother with bottom bolts, so all that weight was hanging on the thin side of the body. PO did drill bottom holes for the passenger side, but didn't for the driver side. The effort was put into it, so why not finish it... is ...just ... i.... don't.

6) Endless quantity of stripped and broken bolts.

I have learned a good lesson, expensive one as well.
Love this Jeep, and drive it with a big smile... but every time i try to make sense out of this PO nonsense, i fall into a deep state of
jackie-chan.jpg

• Wow
Just a few simple things the PO did to my Jeep that I didn't care for. He bed lined the inside of the tub and did a crappy job at it. Cold air intake, which I got rid of and went back to the stock air filter system. Bushwhacker flares which I took off and sold and went with the Rubicon flares. Then he put in some complicated stero system which I could never figure out and I took it out and put the stock radio and CD back in it....like it soooo much better now.

I think the chambered muffler on backwards tops the long list on mine .

I can't complain too much about mine. The only things I knew of that weren't stock was the rear tube bumper, aftermarket stereo, tube steps and a RallyTops hard top. Bumper was replaced, kept the stereo in it until just a few months ago when I got a newer version and moved the other to my Silverado, pulled the tube steps off 5 or 6 months after I bought it and took the hardtop off in the spring of '17 and have had a soft top on since.

I guess if I had to pick, I wish they had put a factory hardtop on it. No real complaints on the top though, I liked the carpet lining on it. Had a couple leaks, but were easy fixes.

IMG_0576.JPG

80's fat tube side steps. Half doors were yellow replacements they half ass painted black. The hard top had been abandoned. Luckily I still have all the wiring etc. in place for it. Worst were the locking hood latches. Man those things suck. If you had a fire you'd be screwed. Cause you'd never get the hood open in time. HAd to use a giant set of bolt cutters to get them off.

But mostly it was things that weren't done. It was basically left to bake in the sun. So the tires were cracked, the top was thrashed, the fender flares were faded to a blue grey color, most of the exterior trim paint was faded badly, fluids hadn't been changed in a while, a ton of trash and leaves and dirt built up inside the tire cover. It was a good Jeep that had basically been abandoned for a several years. But once it got some TLC. It's been a workhorse for me as a DD.

Previous owner had double spacers on front springs and ACOS in the back. I suppose he wanted the lifted look as cheap as possible.