Mods that I liked more than I expected

One of the best things about this group is how useful information is shared, quickly, and so willingly, by people that know by experience/doing. We have some amazing experts here but everyone is committed to helping others. Thank you guys.

I love the TJ dead pedal (manual), have this in all of my vehicles. The one I added as for a JK, it was $15, shipped, and it fit with minor . Used nutserts in kick panel to attach, very sturdy. I have adjustability, if needed. I narrowed pedal it a bit so I have room between clutch and pedal with boots on. Test fit before installing to get right angle and distance.

Half-doors (stock) My wife didn't like riding w/o doors. Found a pair in correct color for $300. These are a nice compromise and keep lots of water/mud splash outside too.

Of the mods I personally installed, my all-time favorite/best/most-useful/greatest mod with the greatest benefits was converting my previous TJ from its OE 5-speed manual to the 3-speed 32RH automatic transmission. I knew I would like and benefit greatly from it before getting it installed but I had no idea just how much. A big thanks to mrblaine for him convincing me to do it and then alerting me to great buy on a used 32RH.

Last edited:
4.6 stroker motor
Atlas transfercase
E-lockers
tummy tuck
May I ask, what oil & coolant you are using in your 4.6 Stroker ? I bought a 2000 Sport with a 4.6 Stroker, in Jan. and the PO used fluids from his shop, that are not available to the general public, unless I buy 50 gallon drums.
Thanks asjp2 !!

Rugged Ridge Dash Tray Phone Holder Thing - Having more storage vs the pitifully shallow stock tray is awesome. Also holds my phone securely so I was able to get rid of the awful suction cup mount thing I had on before. The Ram mount on my bike works better, but this thing does just fine for my application.

Lockers- Enough said. It's like an easy button. My previous Jeep-an Xj with 4.5" lift and 33s- doesn't hold a candle to my tj with ARBs front and rear. Plus being able to air up tires is great.

Bestop Trektop- at first I was worried about not being able to put the top all the way down, but this was put to rest. The sun rider feature is excellent! I've got it down now so I can flip it, latch it, and tuck the sides in 1.5 red lights. Plus, 4 straps and two quick release pins and the top is all the way off - but I never do this because the sunrider is so handy.

Castrol semi synthetic oil or Delvac 15w40 diesel oil, and Prestone antifreeze...
May I ask, what oil & coolant you are using in your 4.6 Stroker ? I bought a 2000 Sport with a 4.6 Stroker, in Jan. and the PO used fluids from his shop, that are not available to the general public, unless I buy 50 gallon drums.
Thanks asjp2 !!

Reactions: TJ Starting
The first "mod" I did when I bought my TJ 15 years ago is still one of my favorites. It was a silly little thing....I had a solid 2" Picture Jasper sphere made into a shift knob :) I still love it. I still think it's beautiful.

Reactions: Rescue6
The first "mod" I did when I bought my TJ 15 years ago is still one of my favorites. It was a silly little thing....I had a solid 2" Picture Jasper sphere made into a shift knob :) I still love it. I still think it's beautiful.

I'm dying to see a pic of this. Sounds beautiful.

It's getting chilly outside and I haven't rolled down the rear window. The seat heaters along with the wool blanket seat covers I put in a few years ago are becoming a favorite again.

I need to see pics of these "wool blanket seat covers" too! Those sound awesome.

...Those sound awesome.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A few think they look awesome. I understand why others feel differently. :)

20191006_103839.jpg

They are just saddle blankets that are tucked, folded and pinned into seat covers. The work wonderfully well both in the winter and summer.

My favorites are my safety mods, with the roll cage I just feel more at ease with my kid in the Jeep, also though I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do but the PRP seats with the 2x3 padded 5 point (though I don’t use the 5th Point too much that’s mainly for him) harness, especially when going down steep hills. I’m find myself holding the steering wheel instead of bracing myself with it. I also really like my hand throttle

Good list of the under the radar type mods here. I will add a few.
-Genright 31 gallon tank- before the "you dont need that much gas" responses start ... some of us do. I live part time in So Utah, and its a looong way between fill ups on some runs.
-American Convoy soft top- very pricey, but well thought out and well made. The biggest selling feature for me is that I can just roll up the windows at a trailhead, and roll them down when I hit the pavement.
-Corbeau seats- makes long highway rides less brutal.
Suspension seats, arm rests on the door, Rock lights when I have to work under the jeep and need both hands, and the bottle jack with the built in jack stand with the large solid plate base that doesn't fall over when the wind blows.

• Haha
Reactions: Chief Brohician