Mods that I liked more than I expected

I think drilling a hole in the bracket above and between the throttle and cruise holes makes for a much cleaner install than how Teraflex wants you to install it if you don't have cruise.
Great googly moogly! $40 for a "kit" from teraflex? I think I'm at ~ $20 all in for my install and have parts to do a second one since everything came in pairs.

• Haha
Reactions: Chief Brohician
Great googly moogly! $40 for a "kit" from teraflex? I think I'm at ~ $20 all in for my install and have parts to do a second one since everything came in pairs.
Now I'm on the hand throttle thing again. Can you tell me what parts you got for $20? Sorry if this has already been explained.

Now I'm on the hand throttle thing again. Can you tell me what parts you got for $20? Sorry if this has already been explained.
Bicycle shifter ($9 a pair on amazon, came with the cable way, about another $8 in cable from A sporting goods store, and a crimp on cable connector).

Which did you go with and how did you install it? I don’t think I have heard of anyone putting a self-powered sub in there.

There’s a whole thread on this topic if you search this exact line:
“Aftermarket subwoofer replacement for factory subwoofer?”

For quick reference, I used a (crutchfield) Sound Ordnance brand, such as this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html
Removed the original console that my TJ came with and place the above in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a whole thread on this topic if you search this exact line:
“Aftermarket subwoofer replacement for factory subwoofer?”

For quick reference, I used a (crutchfield) Sound Ordnance brand, such as this:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html
Removed the original console that my TJ came with and place the above in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenwood also makes a small powered sub that fits inside the console as well. Mine has been in about 8 months. I've been very happy with it.

I packed it in with some armaflex insulation I had left over from some other project to keep it from flopping around or vibrating.

Makes a world of difference even if it doesn't shake the windows.

Might not count ... harness and seat belt leash for my dog. Now I can have windows down or doors off without worrying about the puppy. Heard about it here. Gamechanger for Summer.

That's a good one and very practical.

Good list of the under the radar type mods here. I will add a few.
-Genright 31 gallon tank- before the "you dont need that much gas" responses start ... some of us do. I live part time in So Utah, and its a looong way between fill ups on some runs.
-American Convoy soft top- very pricey, but well thought out and well made. The biggest selling feature for me is that I can just roll up the windows at a trailhead, and roll them down when I hit the pavement.
-Corbeau seats- makes long highway rides less brutal.

I really haven't researched anything larger then the extra 5-6 gallon tank. Your Genright sounds interesting. The extra 5-6 gallon tank I found would replace the factory gas tank without modification. Where did you get your Genright? I sometimes have to drive for work to different states and the larger tank would be a blessing.

Mods that I have liked more than I expected

• seat risers - this was the first mod on my jeep and a must have for me.
  • dead pedal - this also easily tops the list for me. I shamelessly copied @jjvw's 90s Mustang idea
  • A-pillar mounted grab bars - this gets the 2nd place given how much easy it is to climb in the jeep
  • bedrug + weathertech liners - these made the jeep inside look nearly new and given how easy it has been to clean and maintain after hiking/camping trips and through the rainy Oregon winters, this gets on the list. I initially got the cheaper rugged ridge mats but they kept sliding and I sold them on CL and got the weathertech ones.
  • mesh web shade - I initially did not see the point, but this "inbetween" option is actually great. I got it pretty recently and it's very nice to have for soft top season.

The thing I do not like about my weathertech is that my Sport did not have the holder thing. I need to fab one so they stop sliding forward.

I really haven't researched anything larger then the extra 5-6 gallon tank. Your Genright sounds interesting. The extra 5-6 gallon tank I found would replace the factory gas tank without modification. Where did you get your Genright? I sometimes have to drive for work to different states and the larger tank would be a blessing.
The 24.5 gallon tank fits the TJ and LJ. The 31 gallon tank fits the LJ only

Here is one thing a dead pedal will do ..it gives you a place to extend your leg and rest your foot so your knee isn't on the infernal window crank handle .

This may not be true for everyone , but it's got me using mine .
Yea. Agree. My F-ing knee bangs on that all the time. Can the crank be installed in a different direction or is the splines only for that position?

Reactions: matkal
57DEECA0-FD83-4CDA-ACC0-28215EBEB98A.jpegGet one of the split pin removal tools and pop off the crank, reposition where it works best and pop it right back on.

Reactions: AndyG and psrivats