Mods that I liked more than I expected

My front camera is something I'm surprised how much I like it.. It's useful in a few situations I've found. Often on the trail I have only it displayed.

1. When all your are looking at is the sky
2. When you reposition on the trail to see where the rocks now are
3. When you are getting back in the jeep after being stopped for a while. Lets you see those annoying rocks that you couldn't see from the driver seat or if the jeep in front of you was too close.
4. Not running over the kid's bikes

Downsides
1. Depth is impossible to tell. A 6-inch rock and a 2-foot rock look the same.
2. You don't want to be looking at it while driving it throws off your planning. I only look at it once stopped. I find even a glance up throws off my tire placements. The expectation would be when I can't see anything from the driver seat.

View attachment 200593
View attachment 200594
I added what I call rock cameras in addition to a winch camera. I’ve never wheeled with a spotter so these have worked well.

9585340C-8D24-4AF4-AE49-856728F58630.jpeg
F7CE1065-99D7-4115-87E0-327C7E8A4A9D.jpeg

CDF4134F-E3AD-4D21-B6A4-B9E59306177A.jpeg

My front camera is something I'm surprised how much I like it.. It's useful in a few situations I've found. Often on the trail I have only it displayed.

1. When all your are looking at is the sky
2. When you reposition on the trail to see where the rocks now are
3. When you are getting back in the jeep after being stopped for a while. Lets you see those annoying rocks that you couldn't see from the driver seat or if the jeep in front of you was too close.
4. Not running over the kid's bikes

Downsides
1. Depth is impossible to tell. A 6-inch rock and a 2-foot rock look the same.
2. You don't want to be looking at it while driving it throws off your planning. I only look at it once stopped. I find even a glance up throws off my tire placements. The expectation would be when I can't see anything from the driver seat.

View attachment 200593
View attachment 200594
Nice, what brand is it?? I need one for my truck :)

I like that front tire location on those cameras. I might steal that! I wish I had now bought a monitor that supported more than 2 cameras.

I used this and my sPOD is wired to switch them.

Intelligent Car Video Switcher 3-way Input 1-way Output for the Car Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B155G5M/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That's another surprise... I love the way technology gets more affordable and more available.

Walmart has a backup camera for 12 to $14 as far as the camera only is probably pretty decent... 10 years ago it would have been 10 times that.

Reactions: Apparition
I know this is something minor but when I changed all the interior bulbs to LED, I also replaced the rear cargo light cover that was white with a clear cover. That small change helped brighten up the interior even more.

20201103_153732.jpg

20201103_153738(0).jpg

The interior is well lit at night now. The tinted rear window isn't doing it justice in this pic.
20201102_200111.jpg

Reactions: j8ksdad
The hothead soft top liner. I thought the difference would not be that huge due to being a soft top, but night and day. I’ve been out in 95F with hugh humidity and not even breaking a sweat inside. I remember feeling the heat coming down and the ac barely cooling in summer. It honestly surprise me how much of a difference it makes. It helps with road noise too.
Do you still like the Hothead soft top liner? I just found them via a search this morning, and was then looking for anyone that had actually used one.

Reactions: Zorba
I like all of my mods... in no particular order, other than how my brain happened to recall them:
Bypassing the failed fog light switch on the multi-switch to a factory-matched switch in the dash.
Upgrading to the double-din radio (and amp, sub, speakers).
Upgrading the front seats to JK.
Full carpet kit.
LED headlights w/ DTRL.
Upgraded the factory fog lights with LED bulbs to match the color of the headlights.
Dash/console lighting upgraded to blue LED.
Wet Okole seat covers w/ heat & lumbar.
New Rough Country 2.5" suspension kit, along w/ new wheels and 32" BFG K02's (rides great now!)
3rd brake light inside spare tire.
Flipped mirror.
Swapped visors.
Indexed window crank handles.
Made phone mounts that are secure and don't interfere with factory stuff.
Foot pegs for when the doors are off.
Aux mirror mounts for when doors are off.
Added eye-bolts to the holes around the tub lip for securing bungee cords, cargo net, etc. (helps keep my shit in the Jeep).
Aftermarket TPMS system (to hopefully catch any small leaks).
Brush guards on all of the lights.
Other shit is just maintenance and/or repair, but still worthwhile and necessary to enjoy the Jeep.

The wife will say none of these things thrilled her as much as when we finally got all of the John Bull East pinstripes buffed out! :LOL:

- 1 1/2" Seat raisers
- Tuffy glove box & center console insert
- The glove box light mod (also did the center console)
- USB fast charging port with voltage meter
- Pillar grab handles
- Also replacing the all the speedo & interior lights with LED's

Reactions: WestCoastDan
- 1 1/2" Seat raisers
- Tuffy glove box & center console insert
- The glove box light mod (also did the center console)
- USB fast charging port with voltage meter
- Pillar grab handles
- Also replacing the all the speedo & interior lights with LED's
I'm interested in the glovebox and console light mods as these were also on my to-do list.
Did you find/follow a link or create your own?