Mopar 5033202AB vehicle speed sensor for 05-06 TJs (good info if you need one)

Well this ain't good. All of the JB conversion SS SYE's for the NP231 use the same sensor. Mine failed a year or two ago and I had to get a new one from the dealer. There's gonna be a lot of people SOL when these start to fail.

There's already a bunch of Rubicon owners SOL with locker air bladders, air pumps, lockers, axle air entrance fittings...

Well this ain't good. All of the JB conversion SS SYE's for the NP231 use the same sensor. Mine failed a year or two ago and I had to get a new one from the dealer. There's gonna be a lot of people SOL when these start to fail.
May have to go to the Teraflex version or if it doesn't use it an Atlas.

UPDATE: Installed the OEM VSS (@$150 up the ass Ebay) and still no Speedo. To recap, the Speedo checks out, the 5V signal to the VSS checks out and the VSS is brand new. Could this be an issue with the tone wheel? Any other thoughts? My Jeeps is running fine except for the occasional CEL P0501 VSS range performance problem. I have not gotten a single 0344 or 0129 since I removed the old VSS. These fucking 05/06 Jeeps have some weird voodoo shit going on.

UPDATE: Installed the OEM VSS (@$150 up the ass Ebay) and still no Speedo. To recap, the Speedo checks out, the 5V signal to the VSS checks out and the VSS is brand new. Could this be an issue with the tone wheel? Any other thoughts? My Jeeps is running fine except for the occasional CEL P0501 VSS range performance problem. I have not gotten a single 0344 or 0129 since I removed the old VSS. These fucking 05/06 Jeeps have some weird voodoo shit going on.
I'm not sure how the factory Rubicon stuff goes together, but the NP231 SS SYE that uses the tone wheel and same sensor, I believe the yoke nut is what clamps the tone wheel in place between the yoke and the shoulder on the output shaft. Could your nut have possibly backed off a bit and you're tone wheel is just free wheeling on the shaft?

Can you feel inside if the tone ring is loose? I have a JB SS SYE to install that uses the same speed sensor so I've been thinking of picking up a spare VSS.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Just jumping into this thread because I'm having an issue with my 06 LJ throwing the P0501 code for the VSS... Bought the jeep down in Miami Beach in 2018 with 16k miles on it and have just over 18k now (super low, I know). As far as I know, it's just a regular unlimited with the 6spd manual trans. Towards the end of the trip back to Pittsburgh my speedo started to get crazy on me and would intermittently work, bounce around and then not work. Currently it hasn't been working at all and also just recently started running rough and mis-firing (not sure if that has anything to do with the VSS)... Either way, I obviously need to get the speedo working.
Does this sound like a problem with the VSS dying? and am I on the correct thread?

Hey guys! Just jumping into this thread because I'm having an issue with my 06 LJ throwing the P0501 code for the VSS... Bought the jeep down in Miami Beach in 2018 with 16k miles on it and have just over 18k now (super low, I know). As far as I know, it's just a regular unlimited with the 6spd manual trans. Towards the end of the trip back to Pittsburgh my speedo started to get crazy on me and would intermittently work, bounce around and then not work. Currently it hasn't been working at all and also just recently started running rough and mis-firing (not sure if that has anything to do with the VSS)... Either way, I obviously need to get the speedo working.
Does this sound like a problem with the VSS dying? and am I on the correct thread?
My VSS went wacky, I replaced it with a new one and all was well.

Mine would do weird things like while sitting at a stop sign say I was doing 100 mph or stall the jeep.

Reactions: MikeE024
I've had the speedometer jump around and cause a hard lurch. The need sometimes increases and sometimes goes to zero.

Anyone resolve this behavior with a new VSS sensor?

I also have a speedohealer that I'm not sure if its a problem or not. This is currently infrequent enough I haven't done much to troubleshoot other than verify the ground and 5 V to the connector.

I noticed there are a couple VSS sensors on ebay for around 55$, anyone give these a try yet as it sounds like the mopar is no long available?

I've had the speedometer jump around and cause a hard lurch. The need sometimes increases and sometimes goes to zero.

I also have a speedohealer that I'm not sure if its a problem or not. This is currently infrequent enough I haven't done much to troubleshoot other than verify the ground and 5 V to the connector.

I noticed there are a couple VSS sensors on ebay for around 55$, anyone give these a try yet as it sounds like the mopar is no long available?
Disconnect the speedo healer and run without it. Use GPS on your phone for speed. If it works fine then your speedo healer is the issue if it still does the same thing get a new VSS. This all assumes the transfer case is not the issue.

Disconnect the speedo healer and run without it. Use GPS on your phone for speed. If it works fine then your speedo healer is the issue if it still does the same thing get a new VSS. This all assumes the transfer case is not the issue.
Yep, those were exactly my next steps. 👍

Reactions: Apparition
Yep, those were exactly my next steps. 👍
Finally got around to disconnecting speedohealer. Issue still occurred once, the day i took it out. Tends to drop to zero and hang there more than bounce or exceed the speed I'm actually traveling. Also seems to occur at the beginning of driving the jeep for the day.

Anyway, because its so intermittent I'm leaning towards a cable/ground rather than the sensor. If anyone has a mopar sensor I'd buy it as it sounds like ill be lucky to find a mopar one.

Last edited:
Finally got around to disconnecting speedohealer. Issue still occurred once the day i took it out. Tends to drop to zero and hang there more than bounce or exceed the speed I'm actually traveling. Also seems to occur at the beginning of driving the jeep for the day.

Anyway, because its so intermittent I'm leaning towards a cable/ground rather than the sensor. If anyone has a mopar sensor I'd buy it as it sounds like ill be lucky to find a mopar one.

I just bought a used one off Ebay. Just go over and watch for someone selling one would be my suggestion.

I understand what the lurch is now that I removed speedohealer and my speedometer reads 12-15mph faster than I'm actually traveling. I'm hitting the speed governor and that's the vehicle lurch I was noticing.

Now I'm leaning towards a sensor but I need research possible causes that would give me the effect I'm seeing with occasional speed registering much faster than actual as well as zero mph at times.