MORryde Ammo Can Tray in an LJ?

Fulton_Hogan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
In a recent thread on adding fuel can carriers (https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/gas-cans-auxiliary-fuel-container.58980/) @jscherb recently posted pictures of MORryde's fuel can side-mounts and because those looked so cool, it got me started looking through MORryde's catalog.

Now I'm curious if anyone has had success mounting MORryde's Ammo Can Tray (JP54-031) or their Ammo Can Tray and MOLLE panel (JP54-030) in an LJ?

Both products are made for the 07+ Jeeps and install via existing hardtop mounting points; so I'm curious if the extra inches in the LJ gives enough space to finagle a way to mount either of these trays.

If you did have success, did it mean removing the rear seat to make it work, or could you leave the rear seat alone?

Thanks all.

I seldom need to carry that much ammo ...
I don't need these trays for ammo; but I do like the idea of having cargo area storage/gear lashing options(via the MOLLE panels) without building a full-on cargo shelf/cover.

Here's a MORryde JKU ammo can tray posed in place in the LJ. It is not back towards the roll bar as far as it could go because I have a different tray mounted there (more on that in a moment), but it could be moved back to the roll bar.

JKAmmoCanHolderInLJ2.jpg

With a Fat 50 ammo can:

JKAmmoCanHolderInLJ.jpg

1. Can the MORryde JK Ammo Can holder be installed in the LJ? Yes. You will have to drill new holes in the mounting flange of the ammo can bracket to line up with the LJ's hardtop holes.

2. Will it work with the back seat in place? I didn't test this because my back seat isn't in right now but I suspect the MOLLE panel will interfere with the side of the seat. No problem with the seat out though.

Shortly after I designed the JKU ammo can tray pictured above, I built a prototype, tested it and once MORryde picked it up for production I next designed a tray specifically for the LJ. The LJ-specific trayIt sits on top of the inner fender, bolts to the hardtop holes in the tub, has feet to support it over the curved inner fender, and works with the rear seat in place:

LJTray6_zpsntyv0ca2.jpg

LJAmmoCan.jpg

The tray is very sturdy; I use the one on the driver's side to hold my fridge/kitchen battery:

LJBatteryTray.jpg

I made one prototype of the LJ tray to prove it in my LJ and then I turned the design drawings over to MORryde engineering and they made several preproduction prototypes (one of the trays pictured in my LJ above is the one I made, the other one is a MORryde preproduction unit). Unfortunately they decided that there wouldn't be enough demand for the LJ trays so they never put them in production and never reached the market.

Since the LJ-specific ones aren't in production, the JK version could work for some people.

Here's a MORryde JKU ammo can tray posed in place in the LJ. It is not back towards the roll bar as far as it could go because I have a different tray mounted there (more on that in a moment), but it could be moved back to the roll bar.

1. Can the MORryde JK Ammo Can holder be installed in the LJ? Yes. You will have to drill new holes in the mounting flange of the ammo can bracket to line up with the LJ's hardtop holes.

2. Will it work with the back seat in place? I didn't test this because my back seat isn't in right now but I suspect the MOLLE panel will interfere with the side of the seat. No problem with the seat out though.

Shortly after I designed the JKU ammo can tray pictured above, I built a prototype, tested it and once MORryde picked it up for production I next designed a tray specifically for the LJ. The LJ-specific trayIt sits on top of the inner fender, bolts to the hardtop holes in the tub, has feet to support it over the curved inner fender, and works with the rear seat in place:

The tray is very sturdy; I use the one on the driver's side to hold my fridge/kitchen battery:

I made one prototype of the LJ tray to prove it in my LJ and then I turned the design drawings over to MORryde engineering and they made several preproduction prototypes (one of the trays pictured in my LJ above is the one I made, the other one is a MORryde preproduction unit). Unfortunately they decided that there wouldn't be enough demand for the LJ trays so they never put them in production and never reached the market.

Since the LJ-specific ones aren't in production, the JK version could work for some people.
Greatly appreciate your time for answering and these photos! I appreciate your builds and thank you for sharing them.

I've never welded, so from-scratch metal fabricating on my own is (currently) off the table. Modifying an existing thing (drilling, filing, sanding, painting) I can totally handle.

I'm slightly frustrated when there's not already something I'd be able to use to take advantage of my LJ's cargo area. I know it's a numbers thing for manufacturers, but it never gets easier to stomach.

Anyway, you've shown what appears to be suitable options and I really appreciate having those. Thanks again for your work, help and sharing!