MORryde vs Exogate

Can someone measure the triangular reinforcement bracket so I can have one fabbed up? I’m asking a bit, but I would really appreciate it.

I just installed the MORryde and must I'm very impressed with it. Still need to fine tune the bumpers since I offset it but nice kit for sure.

I'm in Canada and they didn't have any dealers here but I noticed that MORryde also makes RV parts. So I called a local RV dealership and they were able to get me in the kit really fast and for a really good price considering import/duty/shipping and dollar difference here. Just a tip if you don't have local offroad shop.

Reactions: Westbrook
The only downside I could see is if you were on an incline and there was a tree behind you that the rear tire started resting on or getting wedged, etc. I'd prefer to have a bumper mounted carrier at that point. Seen this situation happen in person and it made me question the exogate a bit.

I have a Mopar rear bumper I miss having closed recovery points / d-rings. For all these reasons I haven't decided what the long term plan is for my bumper / tire carrier set-up

Reactions: Starrs and Chris
I'm somewhat concerned about corner protection... departure and also backing into something. Previous owner put a nice dent in the corner when I bought the Jeep.

Departure angle is one reason I didn’t want a rear bumper. As for corners, I’ll take my chances there ;) Not worried about it.

I found the gate still rattled the latch pin and started wearing it and the latch jaws. 33x10.5R15 with 3.75 back spacing. Went to a pain in the but swing away bumper mount.
Thought about the devices like @Jerry Bransford uses but determined just as well swing the tire as lower device or lift tire to close gate. My TJ is a daily driver.

I'm somewhat concerned about corner protection... departure and also backing into something. Previous owner put a nice dent in the corner when I bought the Jeep.
Get some corner armor

Reactions: Chris
Heres why I dislike the bumper/carrier combo...
All that weight goes thru 1 point.

Love that license plate.

Smittybilt tire carrier fell off.jpeg

Heres why I dislike the bumper/carrier combo...
All that weight goes thru 1 point.

Love that license plate.

View attachment 69773

This isn't unusual either, especially on the cheaper (i.e. Shittybilt and other Chinese brands) bumpers with built in tire carriers. Literally just last week a guy stopped by from Craigslist to pick up some parts I was selling. He was showing me his rear bumper / tire carrier and the welds that hold the tire carrier to the bumper were literally ripping apart.

I can't remember the brand, but he was telling me how he is going to switch to an Exogate style carrier as well.

Anyways, I've seen this happen before.

The only downside I could see is if you were on an incline and there was a tree behind you that the rear tire started resting on or getting wedged, etc. I'd prefer to have a bumper mounted carrier at that point. Seen this situation happen in person and it made me question the exogate a bit.

I have a Mopar rear bumper I miss having closed recovery points / d-rings. For all these reasons I haven't decided what the long term plan is for my bumper / tire carrier set-up
I have the exogate, and just yesterday was out at the rubicon in the snow. On the way out, there is a fairly steep Hill on loon Lake side, started going up, slid backwards about 5 feet, right into a big rock, right on the spare. Was very slow impact, but it was holding the jeep. No damage, still opens and shuts perfect.

Hey Y'all, quick question on this yer Exogate deally:

Does this contraption allow for adjustable height on mounting the wheel?

Reason I ask: I presently have a HD tire carrier from ExtremeTerrain, which nicely places my spare (35") above my rear tube fender. As I'm planning to install the Exogate before too long, I'm wanting to ensure I can mount the wheel high enough to clear my fender.

Thanks for your thoughts.

*My current set-up, below:

1546270789252.jpeg

Last edited:
I found the gate still rattled the latch pin and started wearing it and the latch jaws. 33x10.5R15 with 3.75 back spacing. Went to a pain in the but swing away bumper mount.
Thought about the devices like @Jerry Bransford uses but determined just as well swing the tire as lower device or lift tire to close gate. My TJ is a daily driver.
If it rattles the latch pin, you didn't set it up right. The rubber snubber in the valance has to make contact before the gate is shut all the way. Essentially if you don't have to enthusiastically close the gate, it is too loose and will tear everything up.

That rule applies to running a 35 on the stock gate, running a swing out, etc. You don't want movement in the tire going down the road.

Hey Y'all, quick question on this yer Exogate deally:

Does this contraption allow for adjustable height on mounting the wheel?

Reason I ask: I presently have a HD tire carrier from ExtremeTerrain, which nicely places my spare (35") above my rear tube fender. As I'm planning to install the Exogate before too long, I'm wanting to ensure I can mount the wheel high enough to clear my fender.

Thanks for your thoughts.

*My current set-up, below:

View attachment 70003

You can’t adjust the height, but with a 35” tire, I can promise you won’t be contacting the bumper.

You can’t adjust the height, but with a 35” tire, I can promise you won’t be contacting the bumper.

Excellent, thank you.

My preference is that to have the wheel mounted on the high-side, so as to reduce the likelihood of incurring a head-shot, from behind, by a Deep State sniper. My ultimate goal is that to so clutter my rear window with equipment (i.e., hi-lift jack, jerry cans [filled with sand], cargo basket, etc.) that the equipment will at least slowdown a projectile from behind.

These guys (photo) below, are always shadowing me:

1546272582578.png

If it rattles the latch pin, you didn't set it up right. The rubber snubber in the valance has to make contact before the gate is shut all the way. Essentially if you don't have to enthusiastically close the gate, it is too loose and will tear everything up.

That rule applies to running a 35 on the stock gate, running a swing out, etc. You don't want movement in the tire going down the road.

That would be the very botton snubber correct? Mounted just above the bumper.