Motobilt TJ rocker guards with boat side steps

davescustom is 3/16" IDK why i was thinkin 1/4".
that means 1/4" aluminum is just as good. if i knew a local place that bent it i'd try and have some blanks made. maybe i'll have to dig a little deeper.
I wouldn't do 1/4" 6061 in that application without a steel skin on the lower portion in which case you'd be better off with 3/16" and skin the lower with 1/8". It would be really nice if we could find some 1/8" AR400 or equivalent for this stuff.

Yeah, they screwed them up with the step, consumer demand.
They have a semi-valid point for the step. They said it adds stiffness to the long length on the TJ Unlimited and longer versions and while true, it can be solved in other ways.

See Rick, this isn't me going on about it, this is you going on about it. Open the door, I'll step through.

What do you mean "says you"? Observation is not judgement, it is just observation. Anyone who has ever built anything can look at your build and arrive at the exact same conclusion. You are the one building it, not me and you don't look at anything with an eye towards not making it as heavy as possible so it is blatantly obvious you don't care about weight, nothing more.

Funny this all started because I asked a simple question because I was trying to learn something. And I got back this instead.
You claim I don't look at or care about the weight of my rig. Well you don't know what I do or don't think about. Yes in your eyes because of my choices you make the assumption that I don't care.

Since it's such a BIG FUCKING deal for you I'll tell you what. If you want to buy me all new aluminum parts and rims and tires I'll make my rig lighter. But since I am sure you don't want to do that I'll build it with the part I have right now. And when and if the time comes that I happen to win the lotto I might build myself another TJ and I'll make it more to your liking. But for now it's gunna stay the way it is. Yep I know I am using steel parts instead of aluminum. Yep I know it's gunna weigh in at about 5K lbs and you know what NOPE I DON'T CARE. It will still wheel and get me down the trail.

Funny this all started because I asked a simple question because I was trying to learn something. And I got back this instead.
You claim I don't look at or care about the weight of my rig. Well you don't know what I do or don't think about. Yes in your eyes because of my choices you make the assumption that I don't care.

Since it's such a BIG FUCKING deal for you I'll tell you what. If you want to buy me all new aluminum parts and rims and tires I'll make my rig lighter. But since I am sure you don't want to do that I'll build it with the part I have right now. And when and if the time comes that I happen to win the lotto I might build myself another TJ and I'll make it more to your liking. But for now it's gunna stay the way it is. Yep I know I am using steel parts instead of aluminum. Yep I know it's gunna weigh in at about 5K lbs and you know what NOPE I DON'T CARE. It will still wheel and get me down the trail.
There's an easier way.

I wouldn't do 1/4" 6061 in that application without a steel skin on the lower portion in which case you'd be better off with 3/16" and skin the lower with 1/8". It would be really nice if we could find some 1/8" AR400 or equivalent for this stuff.
If 6061-T6 is not good for the lower portion of the slider, then why is it good for the Savvy TCase skid?

i have a 60" pieces of 11ga formed on 1 edge to replace whats cut from the tub, welded as much as possible to the floor and firewall cuts, then hopefully find something like that factory sealing compound. b4 the boat sides go on.

but see what you mean protect that soft material in the spot that'll get drug the most.

If 6061-T6 is not good for the lower portion of the slider, then why is it good for the Savvy TCase skid?
Application. Sliders have less support in places that get the highest loads. The Savvy skid doesn't have to not bend, it has to stop the oil pan and whatnot from getting holes in it and stopping forward progress.

The slider gets more frequent higher point loading and will bend and stop forward progress because the radius is too small for proper sliding.

Reactions: JMT