Motor mount lift (MML) to correct pinion vibrations

Freetj

I recently put a 2” puck spring lift on my tj. Ever since I got a vibration during acceleration. I ordered a 1” body lift and 1” mml hoping to corrrct this. Will this work? Any suggestions? Thanks

It should get rid of your vibes. The MML raises the engine and lowers the TCase output so that the driveshaft angle is not so steep.

It might work, it also might not. It varies from vehicle to vehicle.

It's worth trying though before anything else for sure.

It won't wear anything out either.

Reactions: JMT
Will it effect my trans /transfer case mounts? Like prematurely wearing out mounts?
It won’t prematurely wear out the transmission mount.

All you really need to fix the vibes is the MML. But it’s good to do a BL at the same time so you don’t have to raise the fan shroud.

However, the BL will affect the TCase shifter. You’ll need to adjust it from underneath or replace it with a cable shifter like the Savvy.

One thing leads to another...

Good to know. I got this Jeep for an absurd price. Trying to keep it on the budget side. It will be going off-road but not crawling or anything extreme. Mostly a fun rig to drive and for hunting. I guess I didn’t expect a 2” lift to make that kind of difference. Then again I didn’t think about the stubby driveline. I’m used to full size trucks.

I’m new to the Jeep situation but not to the modification on vehicles situation. I’m aware that it will snowball but just hoping not too much.
Hey, you can always do a TCase drop. A couple of washers might be enough to be vibe free. $2 fix

True. My bl and mml are supposed to show up Friday so I’ll find out if it works that night or Saturday.
It’ll Work. I’m 100% confident.

I ran 2.5” lift that had vibes and added a 1”MML and I was vine free. However, the day I added the MML I got DWobble. It changed the rigidity because it changed the location of the motor to the frame. This revealed other problems that were already there like tie rod ends, trackbar and ultimately out of round tires. The day I went to 33’s everything was as smooth as silk.

Our stories are similar so too went with the mml. It took away 95% of the vibration issues I was having. It still has them from just over 40 to about 45 so it is livable. Do the body lift first, it will give extra clearance at the engine and makes things easier. I do not have a BL and it is tight getting the MML in without it.

I just finished my bl last night and got my mml in tonight. Going to torque everything tomorrow and test drive it. My bl said that I do not need to use the transfer case bracket but it looks tweeked to me. I might put it in. Also my stick now hits the shifter bezel. 2nd 4th 6th and reverse. How did you guys resolve that issue?

I just finished my bl last night and got my mml in tonight. Going to torque everything tomorrow and test drive it. My bl said that I do not need to use the transfer case bracket but it looks tweeked to me. I might put it in. Also my stick now hits the shifter bezel. 2nd 4th 6th and reverse. How did you guys resolve that issue?

You either need to use that bracket, or you need to order a Savvy transfer case shifter cable, which is the right way to do it (and you'll love how it shifts so much more!).

What year is your jeep?
You may have to trim the bezel and/or bend your stick a bit to clear it. IIRC, the stick removes with one torx screw.

I would put in the transfer bracket, especially if your not going to go with a cable shifter later.

I'm in OC too.

6 speed. I have to crawl under it tonight to torque everything. I’ll look into installing that bracket. I’ll also pull the bezel off and look into maybe giving the shifter a little bend.

It was suggested to me (by Dirk- DPG Off-road) to not use heat-and-bend but to use a press to bend it. Which I do not have, BTW.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP is having issues with the transmission, not the transfer case linkage.
I don't have a stick, or a 4 banger. Wish I had a stick, not so much a 4 banger.
That being said, i see that your problem is clearance issues with the stick shift. This is NOT something to ignore. If it were me, I'd pull the console ( inside the jeep ) and with a dremel tool, clearance what you need on the body tub to allow 100 percent unrestricted movement of your stick shift. I've heard of many transmission problems because of not clearancing the stick shift with body lifts.
Your transfer case linkage may need adjustment. But a typical 1" to 1 1/4" BL should be workable with the stock linkage and minor adjustments.