MountaineerTom's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

For years I’ve dreamed of grass that grows to the perfect length and stops.

I used to be a biologist. I worked with a guy who developed the terminator gene. Because of it he was not very popular in Europe (he was a Brit too). The terminator gene was invented to protect the technology in the seed, but it also terminated the line so each season the farmer would have to buy more seed. I really didn’t like the idea myself, so I eventually quit, but it gave me the “grass stop growing” idea, and I’ve never been able to shake it.

The lights look good Tom. Nice work (as always).

Thanks.

When I was a kid I used to say I wanted to cement my whole yard and paint it green. Then I got to where I loved mowing grass. As I’ve gotten older I’m rethinking that cement thing. 🤣

Thanks.

When I was a kid I used to say I wanted to cement my whole yard and paint it green. Then I got to where I loved mowing grass. As I’ve gotten older I’m rethinking that cement thing. 🤣

I wanted to pave everything so I could drive everywhere.

Finished up my KC Cyclone V2 rock light set up. 6 lights: one under each bumper, one behind each front tire, one in front of each rear tire. I used these MAGNETS with a nylon locknut attached to the light. On the rear bumper, I cut a piece of 1/8th inch steel and bolted it to the rear crossmember so I could place the magnet where I wanted it. For the ones in front of the rear tires, where I wanted to put the lights, there was only plastic from the fender liner. I pulled the push pin out that holds the liner and the hole in the metal that the pin goes in happened to be the perfect size for some M5 rivnuts I had. Installed one on each side, cut a couple more plates of the 1/8th inch steel and bolted them up to mount the lights on. Very happy with them.

View attachment 509067

View attachment 509069

View attachment 509068

View attachment 509070

View attachment 509064

View attachment 509065

View attachment 509066

Thanks for not putting them directly over your tires!

For years I’ve dreamed of grass that grows to the perfect length and stops.

I used to be a biologist. I worked with a guy who developed the terminator gene. Because of it he was not very popular in Europe (he was a Brit too). The terminator gene was invented to protect the technology in the seed, but it also terminated the line so each season the farmer would have to buy more seed. I really didn’t like the idea myself, so I eventually quit, but it gave me the “grass stop growing” idea, and I’ve never been able to shake it.

The lights look good Tom. Nice work (as always).

When I lived in Albuquerque, I seeded and sprigged Buffalo grass in my back yard. It took some work to get it established, but it did not grow very tall and was pretty easy to maintain.

https://www.thespruce.com/buffalo-grass-7105718

I've often thought about doing it the way they do in Vegas and installing artificial turf in the yard...

That's been a trend lately, but there have been some bad stories in the new about companies selling it. I know some people who gave up trying to get grass to grow under their trees and graveled their front and side yard. When they did it, I thought they were just being lazy, and a little trashy. 15 years later, they haven't worried about that area.....

1710683569168.png

That's been a trend lately, but there have been some bad stories in the new about companies selling it. I know some people who gave up trying to get grass to grow under their trees and graveled their front and side yard. When they did it, I thought they were just being lazy, and a little trashy. 15 years later, they haven't worried about that area.....

View attachment 510101

xera-scaping!

First time installed after hanging under the carport of my work shop for the last 7 years.
IMG_8146.jpeg

After a quick pressure wash.
IMG_8148.jpeg

After using a Magic Eraser, Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound, Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish and some Meguiar’s Quick Detailer Spray Wax.
IMG_8413.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Looks great. I’m always worried when hanging one will it warp / get out of square and not fit right.

I hooked straps to mine and lifted it with a hand crank. I have eye bolts screwed into the ceiling rafters with sections of chains going down to two 2x6’s with eye bolts in them also. I placed the 2x6’s under the rear area of the top and cab area then lower the hoist until the weight of the top is on the chain/2x6 setup. I sill leave the hoist and straps hooked up to it, just no heavy weight on it.

The only issue I had was after one of the hurricanes we had, the wind blew the rear window open. I just ran a strap tightened lightly front to back around the top to keep it closed.

Reactions: zebra12 and Wildman
I hooked straps to mine and lifted it with a hand crank. I have eye bolts screwed into the ceiling rafters with sections of chains going down to two 2x6’s with eye bolts in them also. I placed the 2x6’s under the rear area of the top and cab area then lower the hoist until the weight of the top is on the chain/2x6 setup. I sill leave the hoist and straps hooked up to it, just no heavy weight on it.

The only issue I had was after one of the hurricanes we had, the wind blew the rear window open. I just ran a strap tightened lightly front to back around the top to keep it closed.

Thank you that is what I see a lot of people do. I just keep it would get out of square without continuous support under the sides. I currently have mine in the back yard sitting on 4x each side.

Looks great. I’m always worried when hanging one will it warp / get out of square and not fit right.

I built a hoist and used a 2x6 in the back and a 2x4 in the front to make sure there was no spreading. (the unpainted wood resting on the hoist is used to hold the soft top). I don't know if it would spread, but I like the support. It also gives me extra protection from the hard top falling off in case of an accident.

hard top hoist.jpg

We spent about a week on Ocracoke Island, NC recently. Always a fun, laid back, relaxing time. Our ferry got canceled due to high winds and waves 20 minutes before we were supposed to leave to come home. Got our room back that we had stayed in for one more night. Woke up that next morning feeling like crap, so it was a looong drive back.

IMG_8459.jpeg

IMG_8475.jpeg

IMG_8477.jpeg

IMG_8481.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8498.jpeg

IMG_8503.jpeg

IMG_8517.jpeg

IMG_8523.jpeg

IMG_8526.jpeg

IMG_8528.jpeg

IMG_8533.jpeg

IMG_8534.jpeg

IMG_8532.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you get sick? And did you get in the water? I know it feels like back home creek water this time of year.

A family we’ve made friends with over the years up there mentioned that one of their kids had the flu. I guessing just a touch of that. Massive headache, achey, slight sore throat and a little cough. After 2 days, I was back to my usual achey self. 😂

No, I didn’t get in the water. I haven’t been in the ocean in years, I’m not a big water person, as far as getting in. We followed that guy para-gliding, or whatever it’s called, down the beach for probably 4 or 5 miles. He never fell once. It was pretty cool to see close-up.

Reactions: BlueC and Wildman
No, I didn’t get in the water. I haven’t been in the ocean in years, I’m not a big water person, as far as getting in. We followed that guy para-gliding, or whatever it’s called, down the beach for probably 4 or 5 miles. He never fell once. It was pretty cool to see close-up.

So you don't want to go SCUBA diving with me? :LOL:

I've seen those kite surfers before. Looks like it could be fun, but I bet that is a hell of a workout. I'd give it a try, but I'm more of a water person than a bird. It might be a little too scary.

Speaking of paragliders,

1712938508411.jpeg
we were on the beach last year and had two of drop out of nowhere and land on the beach. It sounded like a weed eater coming from behind me, then bam, two paragliders dropped down probably 50 yards away. They talked to some people for a few minutes, then back in the air buzzing down the beach.

So you don't want to go SCUBA diving with me? :LOL:

I've seen those kite surfers before. Looks like it could be fun, but I bet that is a hell of a workout. I'd give it a try, but I'm more of a water person than a bird. It might be a little too scary.

Speaking of paragliders,

View attachment 517946 we were on the beach last year and had two of drop out of nowhere and land on the beach. It sounded like a weed eater coming from behind me, then bam, two paragliders dropped down probably 50 yards away. They talked to some people for a few minutes, then back in the air buzzing down the beach.

Kite surfers, that’s the word I was looking for. 👍🏼

I used to get in the water a lot back home in the lake. Mostly jumping off cliffs and water skiing and tubing. A friend was a scuba diver and we went back in a relatively shallow cove and he let me wear his gear to dive under a huge mass of floating logs. It was cool seeing fish and all that, but kinda creeped me out being under all the logs. 🤣 The ocean has always creeped me out. I love all the creatures in there though, just don’t really want to come face-to-face with them. 🤣

Reactions: BlueC
View attachment 517946 we were on the beach last year and had two of drop out of nowhere and land on the beach. It sounded like a weed eater coming from behind me, then bam, two paragliders dropped down probably 50 yards away. They talked to some people for a few minutes, then back in the air buzzing down the beach.

Paragliding 2024: Recreational sport, or invading army?

Reactions: BlueC