inkedrose

washed up superhero
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Read a bunch of threads on here about the Midland MXT 275. Everyone seems to be happy with it... good, basic starter comm. Was about to pull the trigger but came across the MXT 575, 50 watt. Supposedly still made for dummies (me) but with more power but a much higher price tag. I don't know sh%t about radios! Does tripple the power equate to tripple the range? Couldn't find many reviews for anyone that's actually used the MXT575. Midland has a bundle for the MX 275 for $250, MXT575 starts at $399. I'm a novice, looking for something to talk to buddies on the trail. Possibly call for help if needed. I already carry hand helds and most places I've been are hiking distance to cell service. Is the power jump worth the price jump?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-2jEMBtmV3vj/p_102MXT575/Midland-MicroMobile-MXT575.html
https://midlandusa.com/products/mxt...W0bjVAYaKMkj39kQMBnYl1hlubiA4aQBoCBoMQAvD_BwE

I don’t have much of an opinion one way or another. For trail comms I don’t see the added expense being worth it though…

I will say that for my use the MXT275 is perfect. I only use it for comms while in a group that’s usually no more than feet to a mile or two apart. Works perfectly with my 3 handhelds…

Reactions: inkedrose
I'd say focus on features and not power. For all radio applications like this it's all about having line of sight and having a good antenna (+antenna placement). The MXT 275 seems to be really popular as you can stow the unit away and have full functionality from the mic.

I personally have the MXT115. I've hit repeaters all over my local area and don't have issues on the trails.

As far as calling for help when stranded--I don't know if I would rely on my GMRS radio to get me out of a pinch. I'm fairly lucky that Las Vegas is GMRS friendly, we have plenty of repeaters in the area all on nice tall mountains, and all my friends I wheel with run GMRS as well. If that is a concern I would recommend not running solo, always having a cell phone and a way to charge it, and something I've gotten in the last year is a satellite messenger that gives a message and GPS location (Spot Tracker).

Long winded answer but TLDR: power does not equal range. Radio is not most ideal set up for getting a rescue mission started (someone has to be listening on the other end and you have to have line of sight with the other party.) focus on features of radio and good antenna.

For more GMRS info I'd watch NotARubicon on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/c/NotaRubiconProductions

I'd say focus on features and not power. For all radio applications like this it's all about having line of sight and having a good antenna (+antenna placement). The MXT 275 seems to be really popular as you can stow the unit away and have full functionality from the mic.

I personally have the MXT115. I've hit repeaters all over my local area and don't have issues on the trails.

As far as calling for help when stranded--I don't know if I would rely on my GMRS radio to get me out of a pinch. I'm fairly lucky that Las Vegas is GMRS friendly, we have plenty of repeaters in the area all on nice tall mountains, and all my friends I wheel with run GMRS as well. If that is a concern I would recommend not running solo, always having a cell phone and a way to charge it, and something I've gotten in the last year is a satellite messenger that gives a message and GPS location (Spot Tracker).

Long winded answer but TLDR: power does not equal range. Radio is not most ideal set up for getting a rescue mission started (someone has to be listening on the other end and you have to have line of sight with the other party.) focus on features of radio and good antenna.

For more GMRS info I'd watch NotARubicon on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/c/NotaRubiconProductions
Thanks. I've been watching that guy, be a happy HAM! Rescue thoughts were more of "hey is someone around, I need a ride out" type thing. I spend a lot of time in the mountains around here and cell phone service usually isnt far. MXT575 is similar set up to 275 as far as all controls are in the hand unit. From what I can tell its just a higher powered version, 50w as opposed to 15w. Not sure what those extra 35w get me. Needs to be run off the battery but I was planning in that anyway

Thanks. I've been watching that guy, be a happy HAM! Rescue thoughts were more of "hey is someone around, I need a ride out" type thing. I spend a lot of time in the mountains around here and cell phone service usually isnt far. MXT575 is similar set up to 275 as far as all controls are in the hand unit. From what I can tell its just a higher powered version, 50w as opposed to 15w. Not sure what those extra 35w get me. Needs to be run off the battery but I was planning in that anyway
I didn't realize the 575 was a thing. Pretty cool that it has similar features as the 275.
Think this might be one of those over kill situations for me. The 275 seems to work for everyone that I've read using it
Midland seems to be the go to if all you are doing is setting up for limited repeater use and mostly simplex communication, but....
he's a big fan of the Wouxun KG-1000G
I've been eyeing this model for a bit as it would be easier to program in multiple channels/repeaters/ctcss. Maybe for like a base station in the house.

Reactions: inkedrose and L J
This is only actual review I could find on the 50w Midland. Dude seems to have a problem out of the gate

I thought the MXT575 wasn’t available until summer of or so. Are they available now?

*Edited typo - "of" to "or"

Last edited:
I thought the MXT575 wasn’t available until summer of so. Are they available now?
according to Brad from TrailRecon they are
Nevermind. I was thinking of the 500. You are correct as far as the Midland website is concerned:
COMING SUMMER 2022!

Last edited:
All else being equal, 15w vs 50w on GMRS isn't going to vastly affect your range. Antenna and especially height matter more. For the price they want, that would be a hard pass for me. Either of those radios are not exactly feature rich. The form factor is a huge plus in our Jeeps though. The 275 is good as a basic, functional, repeater capable radio that fits great in a Jeep for a decent price. If the 575 was $50-$100, it might be worth it. Not for that price though.

Stick to the MXT-275 if you have to go with Midland. The added power of the 575 will only give you a bit more transmit range and allow you to punch thru a few more obstacles. Won't help you if you can hear from the receiving end.
My first GMRS mobile was the 275. It did the job, until I fell down the rabbit hole and went full retard on radios. My Jeep radio is now a Wouxun.
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-xs20g.html

Stick to the MXT-275 if you have to go with Midland. The added power of the 575 will only give you a bit more transmit range and allow you to punch thru a few more obstacles. Won't help you if you can hear from the receiving end.
My first GMRS mobile was the 275. It did the job, until I fell down the rabbit hole and went full retard on radios. My Jeep radio is now a Wouxun.
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-xs20g.html
This is me exactly. Model for model. Well, I had a UV5R first when I discovered it could talk to my kid's "disposable" Chinese walkie talkies, but besides that.