My 1978 GMC motorhome

You guys are getting WAY outta my price range!

Mine too right now. My ex screwed me on that and I'm still paying for it.
The only way I got the Beaver was her dad bought it for us. And then we were paying him back. He tried to saddle me with it when she split and I told him to FUCK OFF. I never wanted the damn thing in the first place.

Reactions: Rick Flair
The biggest problem with them is you have to use them. Sitting kills them. The 98 I bought from Dad sat for 3 years. Killed the batteries, the heater, roof leak, generator, tires ,etc....

UPDATE! The generator is in place now, but after looking at it, I need to replace ALL the wiring to and from the DC side. Some of the junctions are downright sketchy...Like two ring terminals bolted together and wrapped in tape. So, I'll put my terminal crimper to use and run some new conductor cable.

1628346636500.png

We spent a week in the UP at the end of July, visiting my in-laws.

They say, "Hi!"

1628346683897.png

Its SHOCKING how much vehicles have grown in the ensuing 40+ years since this was built...

Taken at a rest area...My 26' Class A motorhome looks like a dang minivan from China!

1628346754151.png

And, no trip would be complete without having to work on something drivetrain related.

1628346812762.png

Noticed my passenger side CV clicking right as we pulled into town. There was about a 4" tear in the boot. So, I pulled it out, packed it full of grease again, and installed a new boot. I also noticed that the Upper control arm bushings are shot, the shocks were crap and my wheel bearing seal was torn. The wheel bearings, being the first real mass produced FWD system, are a GIANT pain in the ass. It's like a locking hub scenario, but WAY worse. You need multiple special tools to rebuild them, the races are a light press fit to the knuckle so when they start to go, they destroy the knuckle too. Gotta remember, this set-up was designed for use on a 4500 lb car...they installed it on a vehicle that has 4500'ish lbs on the FRONT axle alone. Not great.

In the last 40 years, automotive technology has advanced quite a bit. Now we have unit bearings that bolt in. So, I'm doing what is called a "one ton" swap. I'm basically replacing all the front end components with parts from a first gen IFS chevy one ton pickup. This is a hotly contested upgrade (similar to long arm vs short arm :rolleyes:) on the Motorhome forum. It does change the scrub radius a bit. The benefits are an obviously superior wheel bearing set-up, 2" larger diameter brakes (a BBK if you will), Larger lower ball joints, and some better geometry concerns...The modification you make to the lower A arms correct some of the atrocious bump steer and camber gain that the factory stuff has. I studied it like crazy before I pulled the trigger. In the end, I decided that the benefits outweighed the negatives and went for it (to the tune of two thousand dollars :eek::eek:)

If anyone is interested in what my fall will be like...

https://www.machinesoflovinggrace.net/gmc/frontend/

Honestly though, rebuilding the front end as needed would have cost close to that anyway...those remanufactured knuckles are NOT cheap! I also decided that I'd get a good baseline on the rear wheels too, while I was at it. So, I have all new races and cones for my rear wheels too. The rear wheels are basically set up on heavy duty trailer spindles though, so that will be easy.

I'm also working on getting this thing dry. I've been chasing a couple minor leaks before we pull the interior and fix the nasty headliner, replace the flooring, etc. I picked up a smoke pencil from amazon...very hand tool for finding water egress paths.

1628348099352.png

I pulled a vacuum on the inside of the coach with my dad's dust collection system.

1628347852949.png

Then I went around the outside and had the smoke, while someone on the inside watched for it to be pulled through. Found a few leaks...

1628347908918.png

1628347927100.png

Got those sealed up now, and I'm happy to report the front of the coach is DRY. I have a new bathroom vent to install (old one is leaking) and I have a leak somewhere in the rear cap to find. But I'm close to "fixing" the interior of this old girl. Gotta be careful though...It could develop into a BOAT (break out another thousand) or Jeep (Just Empty Every Pocket) very quickly.

That "one-ton" swap you mentioned earlier sounds like the way to go (I say this based solely on the general tone of your presentation). Question: Is that something someone who owned a Toronado would benefit from, or is this basically only necessary due to the additional weight of the motorhome?

Loved your size comparison between the older and newer vehicles. I know exactly what you mean. My 1990 3/4-ton Dodge diesel looks downright small compared to modern Toyota and Nissan pickups. :rolleyes:

Love what you're doing with this, my friend! (y)

That "one-ton" swap you mentioned earlier sounds like the way to go (I say this based solely on the general tone of your presentation). Question: Is that something someone who owned a Toronado would benefit from, or is this basically only necessary due to the additional weight of the motorhome?

Loved your size comparison between the older and newer vehicles. I know exactly what you mean. My 1990 3/4-ton Dodge diesel looks downright small compared to modern Toyota and Nissan pickups. :rolleyes:

Love what you're doing with this, my friend! (y)
I don't think the swap would benefit a Toronado owners. The bearings still suck to lube and change, but the weight is much less, so the bearings should last much longer between services

This thread delivers...awesome job on the restoration

And it gives you an idea of some of the costs of owning a MH. They can be enjoyable but you also have to make sure you are doing your maintenance and keeping it current. The main problem is finding one that has been taken care of by the PO.

And it gives you an idea of some of the costs of owning a MH. They can be enjoyable but you also have to make sure you are doing your maintenance and keeping it current. The main problem is finding one that has been taken care of by the PO.
YES...Previous care is SO important. Mine has been stored inside its whole life and its been used frequently. There have been periods of inactivity, but the previous owners have not been afraid to spend the money to maintain it. I have the receipts to prove it!

It has been a dose of reality for me on what it takes to maintain and repair a MH..its like owning a jeep but on a bigger scale lol

It has been a dose of reality for me on what it takes to maintain and repair a MH..its like owning a jeep but on a bigger scale lol
It's rewarding, but it's a commitment, too. You can't be afraid of spending the money, or you'll just chase it into the ground.

At this point in my life I just can't afford to put money into something we don't use all the time. I think waiting until my kids are gone and I'm in a better place financially is the best plan.

That’s nice to see that you recognize it.

Most don’t. And go broke or….leave the RV sit on the side of their home making payments and not using it.

Which is where many end up. They go, yeah I can afford $250-350 a month! Dealer make it sound cheap and easy!

But the actual money is about 4x that. If nothing goes wrong!

I honestly love RV’s. We settled on a truck camper after having most. BUT. It’s still not cheap but fits our life best.

I also fix them without worry. If I had to pay a shop to do it….nope.

Neighbors bought a new fiver. 80k. Was n the shop for a year. Couldn’t use it. Made payments.

I could have fixed the issues for less than a few grand and maybe a week.

I’m thinking of going into the RV repair business. I can make a good living….and help others that wait for months or years for repairs.

Most don’t. And go broke or….leave the RV sit on the side of their home making payments and not using it.

Which is where many end up. They go, yeah I can afford $250-350 a month! Dealer make it sound cheap and easy!

I honestly love RV’s. We settled on a truck camper after having most. BUT. It’s still not cheap but fits our life best.

Neighbors bought a new fiver. 80k. Was n the shop for a year. Couldn’t use it. Made payments.

I’m thinking of going into the RV repair business. I can make a good living….and help others that wait for months or years for repairs.
You hit the nail on the head regarding new RV's and repairs.

The manufacturer sends the rig out with known defects, dealer is covered up, resulting in buyers making payments on a rig sitting waiting for repair. Components are cheaply made and in "covid" short supply.

Amazing amount of people that hold a research library in their hands (smart phone) yet can't research or fix the simplest of repairs.

Pack a service van or truck and hang out your shingle....you'll be so busy, your head will spin.

RV, Boats, any toy, really. I'm of the opinion you need to be able to take care of issues yourself, and you can't afford it if you can't pay cash. It makes me sick to look at new RVs. So much money for such poor build quality. My folks have a 2017 Winnie Via. It's a small class A. It's junk. The vehicle potion is good... It's a merc van chassis, but the interior stuff is garbage. It's too bad too, because it has a nice layout and features. They've taken it out a handful of times and it's now for sale again. Dad has bumped his head to many times, something breaks every time they go out, etc.

A friend of mine started a mobile RV repair, and he was swamped with work. My wife and I bought our first travel trailer in 2010. Never had a problem or needed a repair, except when a chipmunk chewed through one of the rubber hoses from the propane tank.

We bought another unit late 2019, just before covid. We had problems immediately. Even though repairs were covered by warranty, it cost me a tank of fuel and 1 1/2 hour drive to take it to the dealer.

I finally contacted my friend with the mobile RV repair and solved the issues. I paid less than $100 out of pocket vs "free" warranty repair.