My automatic transmission is on its way out: 42RLE to NSG370 swap?

Maxbrownr8

Hello! I have an 06' TJ with the 42rle in it. I've got 125,000 miles on the jeep and it runs like a top. The only issue is that I'm almost positive my transmission has finally bit the dust. Fluid and filter were done at 120,000 and my computer is good. Just topped the fluid off because it was a bit low and it's still making the infamous "Hard shift" out of first and now has developed a slight "ticking" noise on first startups while in drive and reverse. Once it gets up to operating temp however, it shifts perfectly! Basically, I am done with the 42rle automatic and I want to go back to an old-faithful stick. I have been thinking about this swap for some time now and have gather research but I don't know where to start. If you know of anyone or any shops in Southern California that have any info that would help. I am in college and have saved up roughly 2k for doing a swap like this. Not afraid to wrench on my own either. Let me know if I am dreaming or just plain stupid for trying to get into an nsg370 6-speed for what I've got. Happy Jeeping!

I would say have the transmission rebuilt. That cost will be around $1200 to $1500 Are the quotes I've heard around Dallas.
Converting to a manual means you have to mesh that with the PCM which is an extra mess, I've heard.
Take it to a tranny shop, shell out the $$$$ and a week later you have a dependable jeep that is more trail ready with an auto tranny

I agree with @KCsTJ. A rebuild would be around $1200-$1500.

Once it's rebuilt, change the fluid regularly and pair it with a Derale 42RLE transmission cooler (which every 42RLE should have) and you can probably go another 200k miles on your 42RLE. The transmission cooler will add longevity to your transmission, since heat is one of the biggest reasons that automatic transmissions fail.

Converting to a NSG370 will be more costly, time consuming, and the NSG370 isn't that great of a transmission from what I hear. The 5 speed that preceded it was much better if what I read online is true.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I'd stick with the 42RLE. Not to mention the 42RLE is far better for wheeling difficult technical trails and the 6-speed NSG370 doesn't have such a good reputation.

Wonder if you are anywhere near Mr Blaine on this forum, seems he’s done swaps in either direction for customers, auto to manual and vice versa. I’m sure he will chime in with some advice about swaps.

I have the nsg370 now and seriously considering an AX15 down the line since rebuilding the Mercedes transmission seems to cost more than a brand new AX15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know there are those who find it's perfectly fine, but my experience with 3 different NSG370 transmissions was less than stellar. While they all worked fine for the most part, some gears were hard to shift into, and they all were clunky, not smooth at all, especially in 4LO. IMO

Reactions: Chris
X2, after it is rebuilt, use your wrenching talents installing a tranny cooler Max and you will have many happy jeepin miles ahead :)
i installed a cooler,
20180521_184104.jpg
the shiny thing behind the grill.. works great

Reactions: OuttaAmmo and Chris
@Maxbrownr8, if you're anywhere close to @mrblaine (who is also in California, I'm just not sure if his exact location), he would likely do this swap for you. Not sure how much he would charge, but it would be worth asking him, since he works on Jeeps for a living and is very well known and respected in the Jeep community.

Thank you so much for all the input everyone!! At this point, the rebuild and cooler is the direction I am heading (although I would love to run through my own gears again haha) but I will for sure look into everything all of you have mentioned!

Reactions: Chris
Update! Topped off the fluid and kept driving it a bit and on every single start up it would start to hard shift at first and then go away after awhile. Then, I noticed a pretty bad leak every time I’d drive it so I stopped and really traced it down. It looks like it is coming from the solonoid block plug in the trans, which it seems a failure of this would explain almost all my issues. It’s the green-plug coming out of the top drivers side of the case. I think I’m going to replace it and throw a cooler on for now. What say you?

79FBCC78-9EA8-43F7-990B-346A2DC66999.jpeg

28B93C16-7E6D-4012-8FEA-4BB749A8D0FD.png

@Maxbrownr8, if you're anywhere close to @mrblaine (who is also in California, I'm just not sure if his exact location), he would likely do this swap for you. Not sure how much he would charge, but it would be worth asking him, since he works on Jeeps for a living and is very well known and respected in the Jeep community.
First, I'm not open to the public. I don't have a "shop". I help folks solve problems.

That said, that is not a cheap swap unless you find the parts very reasonably and to start with, a manual PCM for an 06 ranges from 3-900+. Then you need the harness, someone with a DRB, the trans, clutch, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, clutch and brake pedal assembly, and some other odds and ends. The labor is roughly 12-1500 for the mechanical side, a few hundred more for the electrical side. Not a great option.

First, I'm not open to the public. I don't have a "shop". I help folks solve problems.

That said, that is not a cheap swap unless you find the parts very reasonably and to start with, a manual PCM for an 06 ranges from 3-900+. Then you need the harness, someone with a DRB, the trans, clutch, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, clutch and brake pedal assembly, and some other odds and ends. The labor is roughly 12-1500 for the mechanical side, a few hundred more for the electrical side. Not a great option.

My bad. I thought you had a similar setup to David where you had a shop and you were open to the public. I'll stop dropping your name like that in that case. I just hear so many people who have "mrblaine" builds, that I assumed you had a shop where you did things like this. Again, my apologies, just trying to send business your way when possible.

Update! Topped off the fluid and kept driving it a bit and on every single start up it would start to hard shift at first and then go away after awhile. Then, I noticed a pretty bad leak every time I’d drive it so I stopped and really traced it down. It looks like it is coming from the solonoid block plug in the trans, which it seems a failure of this would explain almost all my issues. It’s the green-plug coming out of the top drivers side of the case. I think I’m going to replace it and throw a cooler on for now. What say you?
That's a good plan Max. Repair the leak and add a tranny cooler, very smart :)
Then monitor the former leak to make sure it's fixed.

Heat is the biggest killer of automatic transmissions. Run the biggest cooler you can fit, and re- gear your axles if you're running taller tires.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford