My initial impressions of the Rancho RS5000X shocks

The type of tire your running may just be a bad tire. I don’t have any experience with hankook and I know nobody that runs those personally. With everything you have done comparable to everybody else’s setup that’s the only conclusion I can make. It has to be your tires. The shocks are good based on the consensus here, and I’m running E rated on KM2s and I love my ride. It might be your tires, and that problem you obviously can’t fix without switching brands.
I'm pretty sure my tires suck!

Reactions: Chris and Starrs
I run 265/75-16 Hankook Dyanapro ATM Load Range E tires on my Tacoma, and they were on my JK Sport prior to selling it. I have had no issues with them giving a harsh ride on either vehicle. However, both the JK and the Tacoma are heavier vehicles than a TJ...
Those are the exact tires I have on my Jeep. The only time I have seen a decent ride with my Jeep was when I had 4 average sized adults in the Jeep. It rode pretty good then. These tires are not designed for such a light rig, plain and simple.

What if it's 95*out? What if it's 45* out?
There is a direct relationship between road temp and tire pressure, add braking to the equation and that's the third variable. If anyone thinks they are running their tires at 25 psi think again. Maybe for a few miles then the temp and pressure go up. A TPMS reveals just how much things change going down the road. The opposite is also true. Air down on a hot day. Park it at night come out the next cold morning to a VERY low set of tires.

Tires get up to about 200* when hot. Cold they are obviously the surrounding air temp. I’ll try to find the physics formula for calculating pressure increase due to temperature.
Last summer I saw 220 degrees in my motorhome. My TPMS alarm was screaming. I forget how high the tire pressure went up, but it was also off the chart.

Reactions: JMT
Those are the exact tires I have on my Jeep. The only time I have seen a decent ride with my Jeep was when I had 4 average sized adults in the Jeep. It rode pretty good then. These tires are not designed for such a light rig, plain and simple.
Perfect testimony for NOT running load range E tires on a TJ.

Reactions: ac_
Perfect testimony for NOT running load range E tires on a TJ.
Then how come everybody else including myself are having zero issues with load E tires. Honest to god if my kidneys were taking a beating everyday I would not be driving on these haha. I have wasted my money on far more dumb shit. If my load range E tires sucked I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a different size. My tj with load E rides amazing and I’ll continue with this ride. The OME lift and 33s is perfect for me. This is such an oppiniated debate that it has to come down to personal preference.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Then how come everybody else including myself are having zero issues with load E tires. Honest to god if my kidneys were taking a beating everyday I would not be driving on these haha. I have wasted my money on far more dumb shit. If my load range E tires sucked I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a different size. My tj with load E rides amazing and I’ll continue with this ride. The OME lift and 33s is perfect for me. This is such an oppiniated debate that it has to come down to personal preference.

Are you running Duratracs? My Duratracs are load E and they honestly aren’t as harsh as people are making them out to be. Hell, with these Ranchos I don’t think you’d even notice.

Maybe it’s different from tire to tire.

I do somewhat regret the purchase of load E tires but options appear limited for 33's with 16" wheels.

I did however feel a significant difference in ride quality leaving hydro's for the Rancho's and even more so offroad.

Reactions: Chris and ac_
Apparently this falls into the same category as axle gearing for 33" tires, whether you have a manual or automatic tranny. Those that have what they run, swear by it. No one can seem to agree, so as you say, it comes down to personal preference. People seem to run what they do and like it. Sometimes you hear someone say "I hated that setup, and will never run it again"...

Reactions: Starrs
Apparently this falls into the same category as axle gearing for 33" tires, whether you have a manual or automatic tranny. Those that have what they run, swear by it. No one can seem to agree, so as you say, it comes down to personal preference. People seem to run what they do and like it. Sometimes you hear someone say "I hated that setup, and will never run it again"...

I might be a bit different. I bought my Jeep with a lift and 33 inch tires. I have no personal investment to support, meaning I didn’t select these components and feel no need to defend my decisions. My ride assessment is based on comparing my Jeeps ride to several other jeeps I have driven, pickup trucks and SUV’s I have owned. Nothing rides much worse than older pickup trucks without a load. My jeeps ride is harsher on a rippled asphalt, and gravel wash board roads than my pickup. I have no illusion about how a Jeep should ride and I’m just trying to get it to ride as good as other Jeeps I have driven. I don’t think that’s an unrealistic objective.
There may be ride quality differences between different brands of load range E tires, but mine are not cutting it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
Are you running Duratracs? My Duratracs are load E and they honestly aren’t as harsh as people are making them out to be. Hell, with these Ranchos I don’t think you’d even notice.

Maybe it’s different from tire to tire.

I think it does vary greatly from tire to tire. I went from D rated too E Rated Duratracs and they ride so much better. It would be nice to find a big gathering of Jeepers to compare tires, gearing options, etc.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
I think it does vary greatly from tire to tire. I went from D rated too E Rated Duratracs and they ride so much better. It would be nice to find a big gathering of Jeepers to compare tires, gearing options, etc.

Yeah, I agree. These E rated Duratracs really aren’t harsh at all. But again, it could vary from tire to tire.

Reactions: Starrs