My initial impressions of the Rancho RS5000X shocks

Yep. Something that would be a help for those wanting to outboard but are not ready for custom Fox shocks would be to find a couple shock numbers that match dimensionally so you can do the outboard and be able to just drop a Fox in later.
Easier said than done.

Yep. Something that would be a help for those wanting to outboard but are not ready for custom Fox shocks would be to find a couple shock numbers that match dimensionally so you can do the outboard and be able to just drop a Fox in later.

https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/fox-shock-eyelet-ends-2-0-performance-series-ifp-12-1-travel/
You may be able to modify the ends to fit poly towers, and the compressed length is 1/2" too long. Might be worth looking into.

It should be noted that this thread is 3 years old now. I no longer run these shocks as I now have outboard shock mounts with Fox Factory 2.0 smooth body shocks (12" travel front and rear).

These shocks and my current setup make the Ranchos seem like nothing but a joke.

The Ranchos are a good off-the-shelf shock as far as TJs are concerned. They are cheap, they ride reasonably well, and if you're on a budget, you'll be hard pressed to find a better shock for less money.

After running my current setup though I would never, ever run a Rancho RS5000X shock again.
Is there a comparable set up using factory suspension geometry with Fox equipment? Do you think that would still be dramatically better than the Ranchos or do you think the bulk of your improvements came from the new geometry?

Is there a comparable set up using factory suspension geometry with Fox equipment? Do you think that would still be dramatically better than the Ranchos or do you think the bulk of your improvements came from the new geometry?
It’s the outboard mounts and tuned shocks. There is no off the shelf shock that will come close. You need outboard mounts so you can run a high quality, tunable shock.

There will be some that say this isn’t necessary, but those are generally the folks who don’t know what they don’t know.

Reactions: jjvw
It’s the outboard mounts and tuned shocks. There is no off the shelf shock that will come close. You need outboard mounts so you can run a high quality, tunable shock.

There will be some that say this isn’t necessary, but those are generally the folks who don’t know what they don’t know.
I'm not sure when I'll get that itchy. I've only had this thing for two months. Haha. Does that rework take significant modification to the jeep itself or is it still kind of a 'bolt on' job?

Any downside to it besides cost? I love knowing what stupid crap I'm going to buy down the road.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
... is it still kind of a 'bolt on' job?

We are doing a front right now.
20211212_145019.jpg

Everything gets cut off and then you get to fit new mounts top and bottom. After that you can bolt on the shocks.

Last edited: