My Install of the Toyota Light Mod

Jamison C

Heil Savvy 🙋‍♂️
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Years ago I installed a set of genuine KC HiLites on my first TJ, and I’m not exaggerating when I say those things were bright enough to slay vampires. They had a nice crisp cutoff on the low beams, and a blinding throw on the highs. Sadly, they’ve gone up 60% in cost since I last bought them in 2018. I can’t justify $140 on a set which is what they run on Amazon.

Through research on a better headlight option, I stumbled across a genuine Toyota headlight kit meant to replace the stock sealed beams on the FJs; part number 81110-60p70. A simple google result will wield many affordable options. You can also have these shipped to your local Toyota dealer. I was $80 out-of-pocket total for this kit. Here’s my overview on what I received and install of the kit.

Product came in a nicely packaged box that shipped out of Phoenix the day before. The kit includes two H4 housings, bulbs, and a complete heavy-duty wiring harness with fuses and relays designed to wire directly to your battery.
0D9DBE33-A3F3-47A6-91D5-DD0C38F42802.jpeg
C9E7399D-8043-4C66-A37F-B3EFB4F55A23.jpeg
6D6D1C52-722B-4D72-8885-9BEEC724DA19.jpeg

The brand of the lights is Koito, and they are extremely well built and manufactured in Japan. These are glass surfaces and feel very heavy duty with a thick glass lens.
DCFC97AC-5637-41CF-BB4C-824CAD7A8113.jpeg

These also came with a detailed set of instructions and a nice letter from Toyota. Even the paper feels high quality 🤣
325FDBD4-C6D9-4568-B94E-1D123F1DA261.jpeg

Last night I hooked up one of the headlights just to compare it to the stock sealed beam. On top of being brighter, the Koito headlight has the same crisp cutoff pattern that my old KCs had, instead of the wild blurry throw the stock sealed beams cast. I didn’t have the engine on, so I don’t have an accurate assessment on how bright the new beam really is.

Today I worked on install. First step was to remove the stock headlights after deciding to run the wiring under the headlights and through the grill to the driver side. My first stretch of wiring ran under the PDC and followed the loom running past the AC line.
67E45CDC-14C4-42E9-AA88-4B3108564ACF.jpeg
F9FD9AF6-59D6-4160-AA03-6DF447AE4506.jpeg

Next step was to line up the first headlight plug where the headlight would sit. The plug that attaches to your factory harness for signal is wired next to the first headlight plug. The manufacturer was kind enough to pack the plugs with dialectic grease where the wires were inserted. The new plugs also have nice water/weather proof boots attached.
7C4F2239-AC6D-49D7-9BCE-3DB87FC50776.jpeg

Once my length was set, I started securing the harness to the bottom of the grill with the 50 (not exaggerating) NASA-grade zip ties provided in the kit. The wiring ran nice and neat through the channel in the bottom. On a side note, I also found where the air temp sensor plugs in for the fancy electric mirror.
BE93360E-5876-4DFE-9B70-4CEA9879B687.jpeg

Next I adjusted the wiring to the proper length behind the driver headlight, and bundled and secured the excess wire underneath it in the dead space below the light.
B6DA3F9A-57F8-40A0-A55A-F0A0F99BE8B8.jpeg
220B59AD-623C-480D-AA63-18933DCB703A.jpeg

Satisfied with how the wiring was run, I installed the driver side light and packed the plug with the supplied dielectric grease. You can see how nicely the two rubber boots on the light and plug fit together.
74CCEB2B-6D2B-4CFB-BB9E-5890448C121E.jpeg
E823EA48-BF10-4238-81A2-7AE5E0302905.jpeg

The same was done on the passenger side. There was a bit of excess wiring between the battery and the first headlight, so I zip tied the excess off under the PDC and out of sight. Once tied off, I could find a permanent place for the inline fuses and relays in the kit. These were also all packed with grease.
EABF1657-3E53-4E5B-9E67-560538D9A933.jpeg
D082D1C9-BD1C-44FD-A2A5-D4883D81C27F.jpeg

Lights are now installed and wired. They don’t look too different or aggressive, but I imagine that the light that they give off is plenty for my needs.
7864BBF8-52F8-43E2-BB53-D3C9A451D16C.jpeg

6CAF5EBF-5018-488A-AE21-639F3E7B0A2B.jpeg

I’ll be going out in a few minutes to test and adjust the beams. I will report back!

Years ago I installed a set of genuine KC HiLites on my first TJ, and I’m not exaggerating when I say those things were bright enough to slay vampires. They had a nice crisp cutoff on the low beams, and a blinding throw on the highs. Sadly, they’ve gone up 60% in cost since I last bought them in 2018. I can’t justify $140 on a set which is what they run on Amazon.

Through research on a better headlight option, I stumbled across a genuine Toyota headlight kit meant to replace the stock sealed beams on the FJs; part number 81110-60p70. A simple google result will wield many affordable options. You can also have these shipped to your local Toyota dealer. I was $80 out-of-pocket total for this kit. Here’s my overview on what I received and install of the kit.

Product came in a nicely packaged box that shipped out of Phoenix the day before. The kit includes two H4 housings, bulbs, and a complete heavy-duty wiring harness with fuses and relays designed to wire directly to your battery.
View attachment 282934View attachment 282935View attachment 282936

The brand of the lights is Koito, and they are extremely well built and manufactured in Japan. These are glass surfaces and feel very heavy duty with a thick glass lens.
View attachment 282937

These also came with a detailed set of instructions and a nice letter from Toyota. Even the paper feels high quality 🤣
View attachment 282939

Last night I hooked up one of the headlights just to compare it to the stock sealed beam. On top of being brighter, the Koito headlight has the same crisp cutoff pattern that my old KCs had, instead of the wild blurry throw the stock sealed beams cast. I didn’t have the engine on, so I don’t have an accurate assessment on how bright the new beam really is.

Today I worked on install. First step was to remove the stock headlights after deciding to run the wiring under the headlights and through the grill to the driver side. My first stretch of wiring ran under the PDC and followed the loom running past the AC line.
View attachment 282943View attachment 282942

Next step was to line up the first headlight plug where the headlight would sit. The plug that attaches to your factory harness for signal is wired next to the first headlight plug. The manufacturer was kind enough to pack the plugs with dialectic grease where the wires were inserted. The new plugs also have nice water/weather proof boots attached.
View attachment 282945

Once my length was set, I started securing the harness to the bottom of the grill with the 50 (not exaggerating) NASA-grade zip ties provided in the kit. The wiring ran nice and neat through the channel in the bottom. On a side note, I also found where the air temp sensor plugs in for the fancy electric mirror.
View attachment 282947

Next I adjusted the wiring to the proper length behind the driver headlight, and bundled and secured the excess wire underneath it in the dead space below the light.
View attachment 282948View attachment 282949

Satisfied with how the wiring was run, I installed the driver side light and packed the plug with the supplied dielectric grease. You can see how nicely the two rubber boots on the light and plug fit together.
View attachment 282950View attachment 282951

The same was done on the passenger side. There was a bit of excess wiring between the battery and the first headlight, so I zip tied the excess off under the PDC and out of sight. Once tied off, I could find a permanent place for the inline fuses and relays in the kit. These were also all packed with grease.
View attachment 282952View attachment 282955

Lights are now installed and wired. They don’t look too different or aggressive, but I imagine that the light that they give off is plenty for my needs.
View attachment 282959
View attachment 282957

I’ll be going out in a few minutes to test and adjust the beams. I will report back!
Well done!

I installed this recently, it really is a nice kit. The wiring harness and housings are top quality.

Alright here are my results after a little adjusting.

Low beams. Like I mentioned before, they have a nice crisp and flat cutoff so you aren’t blinding anyone in front of you, which allows you to set them a little higher. They are nice and wide allowing you to see well off of both sides of the road. The brightness isn’t anything to celebrate about but then again they’re low beams.
1AD75094-4EDE-414A-95B9-664C8C63FA1F.jpeg

High beams. Well….they’re high beams! And mighty bright ones too. Lots of light in all directions, and even a little bit of light cast on the ground right in front of the vehicle, which can be a common dead spot depending on the vehicle. Overall I’m happy with the light kit and it was definitely money well spent/saved.
AEC69679-9AD8-4A97-B608-8B825376D88B.jpeg

So how do these wire in to the factory headlight stalk control?
They don’t. They plug into the factory headlight plug, same as the stock headlights.
If you use the supplied bulbs, you don't even need the wiring harness. It certainly won't hurt anything, but the bulbs are the same wattage as the sealed beams. All you need to do is replace the sealed bulbs with the Toyota housings and bulbs.

If you use the supplied bulbs, you don't even need the wiring harness. It certainly won't hurt anything, but the bulbs are the same wattage as the sealed beams. All you need to do is replace the sealed bulbs with the Toyota housings and bulbs.
Even if you do use the supplied harness, installation is just like @Jamison C detailed. They simply plug between the headlight and factory plug and wire to the battery. The factory plug is wired to the switch, so no other need to tap into anything.

I did these a few nights ago. Haven't done the harness or 100/80's yet.

So far I have mixed feelings, but the mod isn't done yet so I'll hold final thoughts until after I get them dialed in.

Reactions: inkedrose
Last edited:
Ordered my set but it looks like a couple months out. No biggie, I have other projects going on with the LJR anyway. I've been a fan/customer of Daniel Stern for years, and although I didn't get this kit from him, I've read his stuff repeatedly. He strongly recommends a wiring harness upgrade regardless of the lights used, halogen, LED, whatever. One of the weak points of the XJ/LJ, etc. so it's likely worthwhile in order to maximize the voltage to the bulbs.
I pulled the plugs on my headlights today and it's a mess. Low miles but still 15 years old and likely the original sealed beams. The headlight pins were all dirty and discolored - I like my electrical connections shiny - plugs were as well, so I'm sure the new kit will be a huge improvement. And adding dielectric grease to everything I touch.