My Tornado Fell Out

In high school physics our teacher challenged us to drain a large glass jug full of water, fastest to do it won.

Many people went up and shook it vertically trying to get all the water out.

I went up and shook it and got a vortex going. I drained it in like half the time of everyone else.

Now does air work the same way...
Everybody knows air doesn't behave like a fluid.
Wait... nevermind.

In high school physics our teacher challenged us to drain a large glass jug full of water, fastest to do it won.

I went up and shook it and got a vortex going. I drained it in like half the time of everyone else.

The reason that vortex trick works with a water bottle is because air can flow up the center and displace the missing water. Without doing this, a little water flows out, then it's the air's turn to flow the opposite direction, and back and forth it chugs. Sticking a straw up the center of the opening would work about as well as the vortex.

In principle liquids and gas behave very similar. The key difference is that gas can be compress and liquids can't.