Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Here's a shot of a little optional ledge on Poison Spider / Golden Spike which recently caused a bit of discussion over on another thread...

Reactions: Tob and Wildman
Another fun little climb on Poison Spider / Golden Spike. These things come out of nowhere and are a lot of fun. Steep, but crazy traction.

Here is a fun video. Coming up to our lunch spot, trail leader @Dino - KX6D spotted me to my parking spot - which came as a bit of a surprise. Listen closely to my comments - I had no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dino - KX6D
Metal masher has a cool section which runs along the cliff north of Moab. Here is a little taste.

This obstacle does not have a name (as far as I know), but I've always called it "Widowmaker Gatekeeper." It's a nasty, technical off camber ledge just before you get to the actual Widowmaker. Earlier in the thread I posted the video my brother is seen taking in this video, and this is the view from the cockpit.

Last edited:
Reactions: someguysjeep
This past week, someone on another thread prompted me to think about carrying crowfoot wrenches for my control arms, instead of full size wrenches. The idea was brilliant - but I can't for the life of me remember which of you triggered that thought, and I also can't seem to find that post. If you know who it was (or if it was you), please let me know and I will give the appropriate credit.

Notwithstanding my bad memory, I picked up 1-13/16" and 1-3/4" crowfoot (crowsfeet?) wrenches to carry instead of the full size wrenches I have been carrying (and have never used) for many years.

Here are the heavy wrenches in my box - even with the opposite ends cut off they were still heavy and took up a bunch of space.

IMG_7450.JPG

Big difference in size, especially since I already carry 1/2" breaker bars and long drive ratchets to use with them.

IMG_7455.JPG

And a big difference in weight as well:

IMG_7456.JPG
IMG_7457.JPG

You read that right - I saved 71.2 oz! Almost 4.5 pounds! Damn! That means my rig is down to, ahh, well, 5,995.5 pounds......

Well, every little bit helps. :rolleyes:

I myself am quite a bit lighter than I used to be - but I would not recommend that weight-loss plan...

Well 3 years ago I lost I lost a few pounds too that I'd never recommend anyone do either. But I'm glad that you're better and still able to enjoy the Jeepin..

[in my best HAL9000 voice] “What are you doing, Dave?”
LOL... just replacing a couple 7 node Hyper-V clusters and our Nimble SAN with a PURE all flash array... Basically a hardware refresh but fun and something I don't have to think too much to do... unlike my steering project on the Jeep :)

Weirdest thing I never thought I'd hear though... there is a national shortage of Cat6 and Cat6a cables... sigh.

LOL... just replacing a couple 7 node Hyper-V clusters and our Nimble SAN with a PURE all flash array... Basically a hardware refresh but fun and something I don't have to think too much to do... unlike my steering project on the Jeep :)

Weirdest thing I never thought I'd hear though... there is a national shortage of Cat6 and Cat6a cables... sigh.
What is there not a shortage of?

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and DaveF
This past week, someone on another thread prompted me to think about carrying crowfoot wrenches for my control arms, instead of full size wrenches. The idea was brilliant - but I can't for the life of me remember which of you triggered that thought, and I also can't seem to find that post. If you know who it was (or if it was you), please let me know and I will give the appropriate credit.

Notwithstanding my bad memory, I picked up 1-13/16" and 1-3/4" crowfoot (crowsfeet?) wrenches to carry instead of the full size wrenches I have been carrying (and have never used) for many years.

Here are the heavy wrenches in my box - even with the opposite ends cut off they were still heavy and took up a bunch of space.

View attachment 253971

Big difference in size, especially since I already carry 1/2" breaker bars and long drive ratchets to use with them.

View attachment 253972
And a big difference in weight as well:

View attachment 253973View attachment 253974
You read that right - I saved 71.2 oz! Almost 4.5 pounds! Damn! That means my rig is down to, ahh, well, 5,995.5 pounds......

Well, every little bit helps. :rolleyes:
Crows feet are good. I have a 12" crescent I carry for emergency control arm adjustment and/or tightening. I've used it once. It's useful for so many other things too. My last trip, I had to pull trailer bearings and reseat them. A pair of needle nose pliers and the big crescent made a nice cotter pin pulling tool. Big fan of multi-use tools in my packout.