Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Do it do it do it! Not that your rig isn’t sick enough already, but it can always get better.

Have you given any thought to a shaved 14b front axle? I think Crane offers them. They’re a common front axle for the WOD builds and at this point you’re a tube frame away from being on that level.
I’ve seen Ian Johnson build a few of those over the years. But I’ve got the thought that I would like to build it myself like the 14 bolt, but I don’t have a way to press in new tubes - at least for now...

My buddy John, from above, told me this weekend that he wishes that he had done a 14bolt instead of his current 60.

i'm just startin to try and figure out these bigger axles.
from what i think i understand, the 60's need at least 35 spline axles to run 37's. to ? and at what wheel size do 40 spline come into play?
same with semi float vs FF, maybe it'd handle 37's but i'm not sure to trust it for anything larger. once i decide to get to 39's it really has to be FF, i think.

and whats the pig (14 bolt) capable of in stock form? more than a 60. kinda leanin toward a 60 up front and a pig pushin. the difference between a 35 and a 39-40 is a tad more than whats lost in diff clearance even if the pigs not shaved, no?

Reactions: Wildman
i'm just startin to try and figure out these bigger axles.
from what i think i understand, the 60's need at least 35 spline axles to run 37's. to ? and at what wheel size do 40 spline come into play?
same with semi float vs FF, maybe it'd handle 37's but i'm not sure to trust it for anything larger. once i decide to get to 39's it really has to be FF, i think.

and whats the pig (14 bolt) capable of in stock form? more than a 60. kinda leanin toward a 60 up front and a pig pushin. the difference between a 35 and a 39-40 is a tad more than whats lost in diff clearance even if the pigs not shaved, no?
I'm definitely not an expert, but I can speak from my own experience. I ran a semi-float, high pinion Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 running 40's, and smoked it 5 times - 2 ring and pinions, 2 bent shafts, 1 broken shaft. Definitely not up to the task (I broke it 4 times before the Hemi). A FF low pinion 60 would likely have held up. That said, the 14 bolt is a good bit stronger than a 60. A big difference is the additional carrier bearing on the pinion - which virtually eliminates pinion deflection. Technically, to my knowledge if you are running a 60 in the rear, you are not running tons. The dana 60 rear was used in the 3/4 ton pickups, but not the 1 tons - the 14 bolts were in the 1 tons (and the 2500 HD's as I recall).

I do know that my shaved 14 bolt is very close to the same ground clearance as that high-clearance pro-rock as I recall my measurements. The shave I did removed a full 2" compared to stock form.

As to the upper limit on tire size - no idea. I do know that around here a lot of the rock bouncers run the 14 bolt.

A high pinion axle in the front is a lot stronger than its low pinion counterpart, because the reverse cut gears going forward tend to pull the R&P together, instead of deflecting apart as does a low pinion in the front. The opposite is true in the rear, and is the reason a high pinion is weaker out back.

Last edited:
there is a local gal that's blown up her 60 a few times now. ended up swapping it for a Dynatrac and blew it up 2x as well.......seems like every few months i see parts from her last axle up for sale.
she runs 39" wheels, but does have a heavy foot.

i'd give up an inch or so at my diff to not have to rebuild it every yr.

there is a local gal that's blown up her 60 a few times now. ended up swapping it for a Dynatrac and blew it up 2x as well.......seems like every few months i see parts from her last axle up for sale.
she runs 39" wheels, but does have a heavy foot.

i'd give up an inch or so at my diff to not have to rebuild it every yr.
The low pinion on the 14 bolts is a drag too (literally) compared to the high pinion ‘60, and I run a pinion guard which tends to bite the rocks. But, as you said, to me that’s a fair tradeoff to be able to hammer on it as hard as I want.

The low pinion on the 14 bolts is a drag too (literally) compared to the high pinion ‘60, and I run a pinion guard which tends to bite the rocks. But, as you said, to me that’s a fair tradeoff to be able to hammer on it as hard as I want.

What other high pinion front axle options are there? And what strength are they? Dang you always post up stuff that makes me look at spending more money.... :D :D

To go to 43" tires what other mods will you have to do? Other than the front axle stretch? How much more are you thinking you'll be going? Will you have to go to longer CO's? I know this will be fun to watch as always.

What other high pinion front axle options are there? And what strength are they? Dang you always post up stuff that makes me look at spending more money.... :D :D

To go to 43" tires what other mods will you have to do? Other than the front axle stretch? How much more are you thinking you'll be going? Will you have to go to longer CO's? I know this will be fun to watch as always.
I have no idea at this point on other options for high pinion axles. Most of what I have seen used is the late 90’s Ford heavy duty stuff, but I’m starting to look.

All of my running gear should be up to the bigger meats, but I may have to enlarge the rear fender opening just a bit. It’s as high as it can go, but I will have to open it up a bit front to back. But, that’s all cosmetic given how I’ve built it back there. It would be pretty easy to stretch that flare.

I also may have to raise my ride height by an inch or two, but I think that would let me fit 16” coilovers in there if I wanted to (running 14’s now). If I do that, I’ll also look into going to a 2.5” shock (I’m using 2.0’s now - and the heavy rig seems to have its way with them).

Lot’s to think about - but that’s exactly what I love about projects like this.

Yes it's why most of us do this IMO.
You always research and look at all your options so I know if you've decided on a course of action it's justified.

I have no idea at this point on other options for high pinion axles. Most of what I have seen used is the late 90’s Ford heavy duty stuff, but I’m starting to look.

All of my running gear should be up to the bigger meats, but I may have to enlarge the rear fender opening just a bit. It’s as high as it can go, but I will have to open it up a bit front to back. But, that’s all cosmetic given how I’ve built it back there. It would be pretty easy to stretch that flare.

I also may have to raise my ride height by an inch or two, but I think that would let me fit 16” coilovers in there if I wanted to (running 14’s now). If I do that, I’ll also look into going to a 2.5” shock (I’m using 2.0’s now - and the heavy rig seems to have its way with them).

Lot’s to think about - but that’s exactly what I love about projects like this.
Better order them now, my 14” 2.5’s aren’t expected until August

Most of the guys I wheel with love the ORI struts. Have you given any thought to them since you'll need to switch the coils out anyways? They're spendy, but from what I've watched them do they appear to be worth it.

Most of the guys I wheel with love the ORI struts. Have you given any thought to them since you'll need to switch the coils out anyways? They're spendy, but from what I've watched them do they appear to be worth it.
Both my buddies Chris and John run the ORI's, and speak highly of them as well. Although Chris had one collapse a few months ago. Rebuilding it was a pain, and required a bunch of expensive and custom tools. If I do wind up swapping the coils I'll definitely consider. Cost is in line with a good set of coilovers, maybe just a bit more.

At this point, it's starting to sound like Buggy time! ;)

• Haha
At this point, it's starting to sound like Buggy time! ;)
And it's the right color...

Amish Buggy.jpg

i got Ford HP 60 front axles all over the dam place around here. usually run around 200-500 ea.
KP 60's are fetching more, around 800-1200.

14 bolt rears go for 200-500, most are huge heavy drum brakes.

then there is the Sterling 10.5 from F350's.
what i read...........it's got bigger stock shafts, bigger pinion bearings, bigger tubes, bigger carrier bearings and it's got better clearance than a shaved 14 i read. and can be had in a bolt pattern that matches that HP60.

what the 14 has is that extra pinion support, a slightly bigger RnP. a bit easier to set up and more choices in width's.

i got Ford HP 60 front axles all over the dam place around here. usually run around 200-500 ea.
KP 60's are fetching more, around 800-1200.

14 bolt rears go for 200-500, most are huge heavy drum brakes.

then there is the Sterling 10.5 from F350's.
what i read...........it's got bigger stock shafts, bigger pinion bearings, bigger tubes, bigger carrier bearings and it's got better clearance than a shaved 14 i read. and can be had in a bolt pattern that matches that HP60.

what the 14 has is that extra pinion support, a slightly bigger RnP. a bit easier to set up and more choices in width's.
My buddy Chris in the white YJ above runs the shaved sterling. Also a great axle. The carrier bearing adjusters in the 14 make a huge difference in ease of setup - you are definitely correct there.