Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Love the footage! Here in Ontario the big rigs tend to use ORIs because they hold up to the corrosion better than coilovers. We also don't have very much high speed trails, it is mostly crawling and always a bit of water crossing.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
Those of you who wheeled with me in Moab will remember my brother - Dave. You also may remember us mentioning that Dave has a built CJ7 which was his first car at 16, and he still has it over 30 years later. It runs on 40’s with custom axles on leafs, and a fuel injected 350 chevy. All during the trip he was asking about axles, linked suspension design, wheelbase, etc.

Well, out of the blue he sends me these pics:

155EF7BC-B8D2-4E5C-B626-458EDC9FA2BD.jpeg

81A7A185-8C17-4137-9806-1CB401A39BC1.jpeg

Notice he has already cut all the bracketry off the frame - no going back now. He’s going triangulated four link / 3 link, coilovers, tons, and stretching it to LJ length.

I guess not messing around runs in the family...

Last edited:
Those of you who wheeled with me in Moab will remember my brother - Dave. You also may remember us mentioning that Dave has a built CJ7 which was his first car at 16, and he still has it over 30 years later. It runs on 40’s with custom axles on leafs, and a fuel injected 350 chevy. All during the trip he was asking about axles, linked suspension design, wheelbase, etc.

View attachment 256911
View attachment 256912

Notice he has already cut all the bracketry off the frame - no going back now. He’s going triangulated four link / 3 link, coilovers, tons, and stretching it to LJ length.

along with good taste in Jeep colors ;)

View attachment 256911
View attachment 256912

Anybody else from Team America doing this? Must have been something in the air. Ordered my 40's earlier.

Enjoyed the vids from AOP. It is on my list to hit in the near future, probably do it along with Iron Gap Rd.
We are putting together a plan to hit Choccollocco and Morris Mountain down in AL sometime this summer. I will let you know when we head that way in case you are interested, I still owe you a beer or two!

Enjoyed the vids from AOP. It is on my list to hit in the near future, probably do it along with Iron Gap Rd.
We are putting together a plan to hit Choccollocco and Morris Mountain down in AL sometime this summer. I will let you know when we head that way in case you are interested, I still owe you a beer or two!
Definitely! I've run Choco before - cool park.

Reactions: gasiorv and Wildman
Let me know when you go to either! I've been to Choco a few times but have yet to make it to Morris.

Reactions: gasiorv
Sorry, my new jeep is red.
Red, the best color by far, sorry @NashvilleTJ, yellow is up there in the running though!

Those of us who are in the KNOW have the knowledge that WHITE is the best color with Yellow being the next best.

Red is more towards the bottom of the list of colors..... :D Green and Brown are higher than Red.

What other high pinion front axle options are there?
Dana’s true super 60 with it’s 10” ring gear
Dynatrac XD60
Currie Rock Jock 70
GearWorks 10 inch HP third member
TubeWorks true 10 inch billet HP third member

The third member option allow for most axle ground clearance as well as highest pinion location of any axle.

Edited to add Dynatrac’s XD 60 which is more rigid and uses a 10” super 60 ring gear.

Last edited:
Dana’s true super 60 with it’s 10 inch ring gear.
Currie Rock Jock 70.
GearWorks 10 inch HP third member.
TubeWorks true 10 inch billet HP third member.

The third member option allow for most axle ground clearance as well as highest pinion location of any axle.

Thanks that makes it easier for me. Don't have do all this research myself.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
i'm just startin to try and figure out these bigger axles.
from what i think i understand, the 60's need at least 35 spline axles to run 37's. to ? and at what wheel size do 40 spline come into play?
Really depends on your style which is often dictated by terrain.

Once you're in the 40” tire territory or have big power a 40 spline or even bigger is a go-to IMO.

ff, not semi float for 37’s+

Reactions: Wildman