Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Nice Work! I'm impressed (or dissappointed?) that a C-Clamp on a wooden table was able to straighten that bend out.

I bounced off my spare a couple weeks ago and spared the tailgate, but bent the 1/4" plate that holds the wheel lugs.

Thanks Mike!

Well, that wooden table has a heavy steel frame and a two inch thick solid maple top, so the tailgate was no match.

Buy yeah, it was hard goin’ old school with a 30 ton press sitting across the shop….

Nice job Jeff. Going to have to go back to the Jeep Forum build thread in order to get rid of all the "noise". I miss following your, Chris's, and Haladay's build threads, so much good info.

Let me know when you have everything worked out so we can go beat on it again :)
Going to try to get AMS417 to join us at Hawk Pride sometime this year.

I started tearing into the front end today. Because of the damage to the grill, I'm worried that the radiator may be tweaked.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (36).JPG

After pulling the front bumper, I got a better look at the damage. It's pushed in at the bottom which is easy to see, but it's also twisted a bit.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (56).JPG

Sure enough, I pulled the radiator, and it is also twisted just a bit.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (63).JPG

I don't know if the stress of flattening it out when I bolt it back onto a straight grill will cause any problems. I'll try to flatten it out, and then pressure test it just to make sure.

And after about an hour, the grill is free:

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (68).JPG

Up on the bench, I can clearly see all the damage.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (70).JPG

And there is a lot of damage and deformation to the supporting structure, which I think will be very hard to correct.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (71).JPG

It's actually separated in a few places.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (81).JPG

So although I'll fool with it to see what I can do, I don't think it will be salvageable. This morning @Alex01 (Thanks Brother!) texted me a Solar Yellow Grill on E-bay for $350 shipped. It was in pretty good shape for an 18-20 year old piece, and I may go that route. Since it's Yellow I may not have to paint it after cleaning it up.

I offered the guy $300 to see if he bites. Haven't heard back yet.

Other than the hinges, there does not appear to be any damage at all to the hood. I think after getting a straight grill in there it will lay flat after I straighten the hinges.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with my next issue:

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (28).JPG

Do you have access to a porta power jack/ram setup? It might be useful. You're probably right though,it likely won't get back to original.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I tore a little deeper into the rig this morning, and pulled off the deformed driver's side fender.

Jeep - Moab Repaiur - 5-10-2023 (2).JPG

Here is what I have to correct: The top rear of the fender is sitting flat on the bench - but the forward section should be flat on the bench as well. It dropped and twisted about an inch and a half. I do have a plan for straightening it out, and I'll give it a shot this afternoon. Time to drag out my big fab table.

Jeep - Moab Repaiur - 5-10-2023 (6).JPG

I also ordered the eBay grill that @Alex01 found for me. The dude came down to $330 shipped. Should be here next week.

And my Fedex guy also showed up this morning. This is what $1,000 worth of 4130 looks like these days...

Jeep - Moab Repaiur - 5-10-2023 (4).JPG

He also drooped off a new top I ordered - so after I replace the one I ripped I'll still have a full spare (for the next time I do something stupid... :rolleyes:)

Jeep - Moab Repaiur - 5-10-2023 (1).JPG

And my Fedex guy also showed up this morning. This is what $1,000 worth of 4130 looks like these days...

View attachment 424491

He also drooped off a new top I ordered - so after I replace the one I ripped I'll still have a full spare (for the next time I do something stupid... :rolleyes:)

View attachment 424492

Wow that doesn't look like $1k of metal. Have fun making your new control arms.

As I noted above, the fender was bent slightly downward, and also had a small twist downward toward the outside. To correct the down bend, I needed to straighten the curve a bit on the main tube. To do so, I welded a fixture to the fab table to apply pressure with the porta-power.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (93).JPG

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (94).JPG

After the top was flat end to end, I went to work on the twist. To correct that, I clamped the fender to the table on some wood to allow me to get underneath the front of the fender at the twist with the gator jaws.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (100).JPG

And after a few passes sneaking up on it to avoid over bending the fender, it was dead flat in both directions.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (101).JPG

It actually turned out to be easier than I expected. I'm very happy with the result.

Last edited:
When the rig went over and dropped onto the fender, another bit of damage was that it pushed the hood toward the passenger side, and stretched the driver's side hood hinge - although it caused no damage at all to the hood. So I figured I'd knock that out while I was in there. In this picture you can see the bend, and how the edge of the hood does not meet the weather stripping at the cowl:

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (106).JPG

I pulled the cowl to get at the hinge, and in this picture you can see the damage compared to the passenger side hinge.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (109).JPG

Some quick work at the press brake to get it back in shape...

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (111).JPG

And Boom! Back together and the hood lands flat and straight on the fenders once again.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (114).JPG

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (115).JPG

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (116).JPG

Once again, I'm tickled with the result.