Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Finally today I cut the fender fixture off of the fab table, and tacked down my roller fixtures to get ready to work on the control arms. But, I'll have to wait a few days as I'm waiting for the threaded inserts to get here - should be Monday or Tuesday hopefully.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (117).JPG

I think I still have every dent, scratch, and bend ever put into my jeep. I only cut off bent items if they get in the way (which is more and more lately). Funny how I love to follow this thread to see how you fix and fabricate, but I just store it in the back of my mind for future use only as I have no desire to repair my own. People are such amazing creatures in how different we are but at the same time how much we are the same. Great job!

I think I still have every dent, scratch, and bend ever put into my jeep. I only cut off bent items if they get in the way (which is more and more lately).

I’m okay if I get minor trail damage like scratches/dents, but I’ll be pissed if I accidentally strip a bolt in the shop. I’m weird.

Slowly knocking things off the list while I wait for parts. This morning I very gently removed the twist from the radiator and flattened the mounting flanges.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (33).JPG

This week I'm getting a lot of practice straightening things out...

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (29).JPG

Another quick fix today. Early during the Moab trip, I yanked up the parking brake levers driving one of my harness buckles into the winch controller - breaking off the power supply toggle switch. Fortunately, it broke off in the "ON" position - otherwise Jeremy (@JMT) would still be sitting upside down at the bottom of Up Chuck...

:)

I actually had a toggle switch that would work, so I pulled the console swapped it in. Cost of repair: $0. That was certainly a nice change....

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (37).JPG

Over on Basket's build thread the subject of transmission cooling came up, and it triggered a thought.

I run the old PSC dual cooler setup, the left side being for the tranny, and the right side for the steering.

Here it is in its current state:

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (30).JPG

It's always worked fairly well for me, but the memory Basket's thread triggered was that on two occasions in Moab during long uphill runs in high range, during an 85+ degree day, my tranny temp hit 220+ and touched on 230 for just a minute. It normally runs no higher than 170.

For Basket's rig, @jjvw recommended the Setrab 53-10748-01 oil cooler for the tranny, which is what JJ runs. Blaine recommends this cooler as well. Compared to mine, it appears to be a much larger capacity cooler with larger fittings (all mine are -6). This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C64FTTK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So I started thinking....

If I do away with this PSC setup to upgrade the tranny cooler, I also have to come up with another solution for the steering. I run hydro assist steering, and also hydro boost brakes, and with this setup in the past I have run the extruded aluminum style cooler and had bad over heating issues on two occasions - resulting in my steering locking up. As a result, I've not been a fan of that setup, and since I replaced it with the PSC setup above I've had no more problems with the steering.

@Apparition mentioned he is running this steering cooler setup from BMB, and it has worked well. JJ also runs this setup I believe.

https://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/8...ar-Bracket-Hose-and-Fittings-8-COOLER-KIT.htm

One thing I noticed in the description is that Blaine runs all -8 returns with his setup, and as I mentioned I run all -6.

So, I called @mrblaine to get some advice. We talked though my rig's situation and he said that his -8 TJ Steering Cooler setup would work just fine, and would likely work better than my current setup even though I'm having no issues. He did think that my running -6 return lines the last time I ran the extruded aluminum cooler could have contributed to my overheating issue. In fact, with my setup he was surprised that I had any steering at all when I was hard on the brakes - but that's not something I've ever experienced.

Blaine also told me the limited capacity of that PSC cooler when used for a tranny was the reason they stopped selling it.

And with that input, I ordered the kit. Blaine also said he would get me the fittings I need to install the Setrab cooler (which I also ordered - thanks JJ) and also a different fitting for the low-pressure connection coming out of the hydro boost. As usual, he was a great help and spent a good deal of time on the phone with me doing so.

So....squirrel. While I have the front end apart fixing the grille I'm going to update my tranny and steering cooling systems.

Over on Basket's build thread the subject of transmission cooling came up, and it triggered a thought.

I run the old PSC dual cooler setup, the left side being for the tranny, and the right side for the steering.

Here it is in its current state:

View attachment 425326

It's always worked fairly well for me, but the memory Basket's thread triggered was that on two occasions in Moab during long uphill runs in high range, during an 85+ degree day, my tranny temp hit 220+ and touched on 230 for just a minute. It normally runs no higher than 170.

For Basket's rig, @jjvw recommended the Setrab 53-10748-01 oil cooler for the tranny, which is what JJ runs. Blaine recommends this cooler as well. Compared to mine, it appears to be a much larger capacity cooler with larger fittings (all mine are -6). This is it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C64FTTK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So I started thinking....

If I do away with this PSC setup to upgrade the tranny cooler, I also have to come up with another solution for the steering. I run hydro assist steering, and also hydro boost brakes, and with this setup in the past I have run the extruded aluminum style cooler and had bad over heating issues on two occasions - resulting in my steering locking up. As a result, I've not been a fan of that setup, and since I replaced it with the PSC setup above I've had no more problems with the steering.

@Apparition mentioned he is running this steering cooler setup from BMB, and it has worked well. JJ also runs this setup I believe.

https://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/8...ar-Bracket-Hose-and-Fittings-8-COOLER-KIT.htm

One thing I noticed in the description is that Blaine runs all -8 returns with his setup, and as I mentioned I run all -6.

So, I called @mrblaine to get some advice. We talked though my rig's situation and he said that his -8 TJ Steering Cooler setup would work just fine, and would likely work better than my current setup even though I'm having no issues. He did think that my running -6 return lines the last time I ran the extruded aluminum cooler could have contributed to my overheating issue. In fact, with my setup he was surprised that I had any steering at all when I was hard on the brakes - but that's not something I've ever experienced.

Blaine also told me the limited capacity of that PSC cooler when used for a tranny was the reason they stopped selling it.

And with that input, I ordered the kit. Blaine also said he would get me the fittings I need to install the Setrab cooler (which I also ordered - thanks JJ) and also a different fitting for the low-pressure connection coming out of the hydro boost. As usual, he was a great help and spent a good deal of time on the phone with me doing so.

So....squirrel. While I have the front end apart fixing the grille I'm going to update my tranny and steering cooling systems.

Mostly, what I'm pretty sure of is I won't ever be able to do that plumbing job and not have to fix it due to issues and, I don't believe I could induce overheating of the steering fluid by just dropping back to a full -6 return. I am working on the rest of it though. I'm still not sure what caused it to overheat.

Well, after spendin' a bunch more money this afternoon, I felt the need to do something for free.

So out came my trusty C-Clamps, body hammers, various pieces of steel and wood, and I took a shot at the grille.

IMG_0002 - Copy (3).JPG

It's still a bit rough, but I was able to get it straight - along with the structure in the back and the radiator mounting surfaces. We will see what kind of shape the e-bay grille is in, but if push comes to shove, I would definitely be able to run this one.

IMG_0003 - Copy (3).JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

One reason it folded where it did is that at one point in the rig's long life, I had to clearance the lower driver's side portion of the grille in order to clear a previous steering gear setup. I also had to cut out a portion of the structure behind it, and the little bit I removed apparently weakened it a good bit. One reason I'm hoping the e-bay grille works out is that this would be corrected.

Well, after spendin' a bunch more money this afternoon, I felt the need to do something for free.

So out came my trusty C-Clamps, body hammers, various pieces of steel and wood, and I took a shot at the grille.

View attachment 425385

It's still a bit rough, but I was able to get it straight - along with the structure in the back and the radiator mounting surfaces. We will see what kind of shape the e-bay grille is in, but if push comes to shove, I would definitely be able to run this one.

View attachment 425388

View attachment 425386

View attachment 425387

One reason it folded where it did is that at one point in the rig's long life, I had to clearance the lower driver's side portion of the grille in order to clear a previous steering gear setup. I also had to cut out a portion of the structure behind it, and the little bit I removed apparently weakened it a good bit. One reason I'm hoping the e-bay grille works out is that this would be corrected.

Blasphemi in coming!!!

Problem solver!!
Tada!!!
1575299264983322625.jpg

Please don't block me!!!
It looks pretty good compared to where you started out!! Very impressive as usual!!

Last edited:

View attachment 425385

View attachment 425388

View attachment 425386

View attachment 425387

You got it where you can put everything back together and the radiator attach flush. I know that's not easy to do. I wonder what a body shop would say about it. I know they look at things sometimes and just say they'll replace the panel. I see your grille as one of those. My daughter crushed my passenger door one time, and when I arrived at Escamilla's Body Shop, the secretary ran out and said, "No, no, the guys will not fix that (with hispanic flare)." She then explained they had been working on getting a JKU door back to flat for three weeks and just finished. I got a kick out of her racing out the front door before I even got inside. I ended up driving 3 hours north to a junkyard and pulling one. It's still with me today on the passenger side, so hopefully this one from eBay will work out for you.

I slid the lights into the grille just to see how it would look. Again, not too bad considering:

Jeep - Moab Repair (2)-1.jpg

And while I was fooling with it, the eBay Grilled showed up. Pretty straight, with just a small, slight dent in the lower left-hand corner that was not evident in the eBay photos. Clearly, though, this was on a Jeep with some miles. The color is just a bit faded, along with a few paint chips. And unlike my current grille, the structure on the lower right-hand side is intact. And straight... :rolleyes:

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (87).jpg

A little surface rust on the back and sides where the fenders bolted on, but again not too bad. I think I can effectively clean that up.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (88).jpg

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (89).jpg

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (90).jpg

And the color is pretty close. I think the main difference is in the fading. I spend a little time with some rubbing compound, polishing compound, and then wax, on a small section in the lower left corner - and it improved.

Jeep - Moab Repair - 5-10-2023 (91).jpg

I'll start by getting it cleaned up and stripping the lights and wiring.

Shout out to @AndyG. Any advice on getting the color back a bit better?

I slid the lights into the grille just to see how it would look. Again, not too bad considering:

View attachment 425537

And while I was fooling with it, the eBay Grilled showed up. Pretty straight, with just a small, slight dent in the lower left-hand corner that was not evident in the eBay photos. Clearly, though, this was on a Jeep with some miles. The color is just a bit faded, along with a few paint chips. And unlike my current grille, the structure on the lower right-hand side is intact. And straight... :rolleyes:

View attachment 425540

A little surface rust on the back and sides where the fenders bolted on, but again not too bad. I think I can effectively clean that up.

View attachment 425541

View attachment 425542

View attachment 425543

And the color is pretty close. I think the main difference is in the fading. I spend a little time with some rubbing compound, polishing compound, and then wax, on a small section in the lower left corner - and it improved.

View attachment 425544

I'll start by getting it cleaned up and stripping the lights and wiring.

Shout out to @AndyG. Any advice on getting the color back a bit better?

If that’s the factory paint I think you’re on the right track- You could use some yellow colored wax but it’s not a permanent fix- But it will deepen the color-

A lot of the cars that you see that are in shows use it

This afternoon I disassembled the grille and cleaned it up. Then, heeding advice received via PM from @AndyG, I chucked a #6 Coarse Rubber Duck into my drill and went to work on the surface rust.

IMG_5118.jpg

I was also able to get out the slight dent on the lower left side. The reflection on the pic makes it look a bit wrinkled, but in person it's pretty flat, and now unnoticeable.

The back turned out well also, and I was able to get the surface rust off of the inside. With some paint I think I'll be happy with it.

IMG_5119.jpg

Next, I'll poke some holes for the LED turn signals and it should be ready for paint in the back, and paint correction in the front.

Last edited: