North Carolina NC engine swap laws

Chasitek

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
i'm looking into doing an engine swap and am currently looking up all the legal stuff. I've found a lot of opinions about NC engine swap laws and on an official website, it says to refer to this EPA law as the law for my state. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/engswitch_0.pdf From what I understand, I can swap any newer engine into my TJ as long as it meets the factory emissions requirements and passes the OBDII test? Some people say the engine has to be a Chrysler engine.

Do you have emissions or state inspection?
well the county i'm registered in just this past December 2018 has dropped emissions requirements so no to emissions but yes to safety. So i'm not sure if they're going to update engine swap laws or what but as of right now, my state goes by the EPA laws I posted above. I'm just struggling to understand what those are exactly.

In other terms, I want to do an LS swap once my 4 banger is dead and I just want to know if I can or if I should be planning for a hemi swap instead. I'm planning on doing it all myself minus the welding of the motor mounts as I don't know how to weld but I want to start in reverse by getting the wiring harnesses and integrating the 2 before I even begin the engine swap. I've never done an engine swap but I hate having a 2.5 and i don't want to sell it and get a 4.0. I screwed up and am sentimentally attached. So, I want to take my time with the harness and not have to rush to get it done. I want the actual swap to be a weekend job.

No on will care if you put an LS in it...but if you move it maybe an issue. The LS is much cheaper than a hemi. Tim

No on will care if you put an LS in it...but if you move it maybe an issue. The LS is much cheaper than a hemi. Tim

Yeah i know. An LS is what i want to put in but i just want to know the actual laws for it. Everyone says as long as it passes emissions it’s fine but i don’t even have emissions now so i want to know the actual laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I recall, it has to be the same year or newer type engine. Brand of engine to vehicle doesn't matter. I think to be technically correct though you're supposed to register the new engine as being in the vehicle. Call the DMV inspector at your local license office, I think they deal with that type of thing.