Need some 'family' input - sorta long winded, though

The new vehicle price is why I decided to go pretty crazy in my build. I have a truck I've gone pretty similar, but to replace my truck with a new one would be like $50k or something insane, so I just dropped down $10k and I try to keep a similar amount in the bank in case I need to replace then entire drivetrain.

I almost purchased a Colorado ZR2 Babymax, but figured what I could build for a similar price would be more fun for my purposes and more capable, plus I couldn't just leave a vehicle stock. I wanted a flatbed and I didn't see where I could get a no bed option and as soon as possible I would need a delete and tune kit that was probably around $1,500. There was so much fancy stuff on there that I had no desire for. I don't want to drive as fast as possible down a trail and simultaneously feel like I was driving a Cadillac on the road. I like to go slow and enjoy my surroundings. I'm running to these areas not away from them.

Reactions: rasband
I lost twin boys at birth. And then 8 close friends and family members over a 14 month period. Including the grandparents that raised me. My 2 best friends of 20+ years. My uncle. My cousin. And the twins. It changed me forever. Like you it's been years since those events. Except my father died last year too.

But I got to a different place in life. Where I was sick of driving cars or trucks with 50,000 moving parts engineered to go bad. So the car companies can make more money off of replacement parts than the actual sale of the car.

I was driving a plush Yukon with 4x4. But everytime something happened with it it was beyond my mechanical abilities. And was always expensive to fix. And it seemed like just a matter of time before something else went bad.

So I thought about all the cars I had owned in my life. And I've owned many. And the one that came to mind was the Suzuki Samurai I had in my 20's. It was bone simple. With few parts compared to a current day vehicle. And I had more fun in that car than any other I've ever owned. Even the '75 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible I drove all over socal for a few years. Ah. To be 30 again. Rolling on 14" rims in my lowrider Oldsmobile convertible thru the Southern California sun. Those were high days. :)

So I went back to the drawing board. And started looking at Samurai's. But you can't find an automatic. And I wasn't going to drive a stick shift anymore. My back and LA traffic just couldn't take it. So I started looking at Jeeps. And Jeep TJ's fit the bill perfectly.

It actually was a wise financial decision. As it was easy to get into one. Granted mine needs alot of TLC just to get it to a nice semi stock configuration. But all those parts I bought were way cheaper than if they needed to be replaced in my 2007 Yukon. And most if not all of the upgrades can be done by me right in my garage. Or get done by someone else for a fair amount of cash. Rather than the high rates my Yukon needed to be repaired.

SO maybe the answer is to think about longevity of the vehicles you have. And which ones are going to take the least financial hit to keep going. I find the older I get the less traveling I do. Or at least I should say the most travel I do is usually around the city I live in. And then the occasional foray into the country. Although I'm sure this will change once we move back to the PNW. I'll have alot more opportunities to get out in the woods. Which is a main aim of our move. And eventual retirement.

But to back up a minute. One thing I learned in all the deaths. Is that I couldn't do it alone. I found a good therapist. And you'd be amazed how all the different aspects of your life change. When you semi figure out the big issues - like losing a child. I say semi because you never fully get past something like that. But it helps to learn how it affects your behavior today. And it affects everything.

One of my main goals for moving back to the PNW was to hunt and fish with my father. Well he died suddenly from ALS. He was a veteran and got great care from the VA. But those plans had to change. For a while I thought well maybe I just won't hunt or fish. But then the fire came back. And I have plans to hunt and fish with others.

It's hard after someone dies to see all the ways it's affecting your life. And I'm not saying to not sell your TJ. Just to make sure your selling it for all the right reasons. And not because your son died. I missed out on a lifetime of doing things with my boys. And for a while didn't think I would ever do anything. But somehow thru the use of a good therapist. I was able to reevaluate my life. Myself. And figure out what I wanted now. Because it all was changed by so many deaths.

Anyway. I think a good start is to park it someplace else. Take your time. Your conflicted. Get some insight into yourself. And the death of your child. And then start making life altering decisions. I hope this helps. That is my intention. I feel for you brother. I really do. It's not easy at all to lose a child or a loved one. It can have lasting effects. Even with something as simple as whether or not to sell a car.

I don't do off road, it gets the Jeep dirty and I don't like it dirty. With that said, I go back and forth between my Jeep and my truck and they keep me pretty satisfied with mods that never end. Debt free here too, the house will be paid off in 6-8 years so I need something else to spend my money on.

I lost twin boys at birth. And then 8 close friends and family members over a 14 month period. Including the grandparents that raised me. My 2 best friends of 20+ years. My uncle. My cousin. And the twins. It changed me forever. Like you it's been years since those events. Except my father died last year too.

But I got to a different place in life. Where I was sick of driving cars or trucks with 50,000 moving parts engineered to go bad. So the car companies can make more money off of replacement parts than the actual sale of the car.

I was driving a plush Yukon with 4x4. But everytime something happened with it it was beyond my mechanical abilities. And was always expensive to fix. And it seemed like just a matter of time before something else went bad.

So I thought about all the cars I had owned in my life. And I've owned many. And the one that came to mind was the Suzuki Samurai I had in my 20's. It was bone simple. With few parts compared to a current day vehicle. And I had more fun in that car than any other I've ever owned. Even the '75 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Convertible I drove all over socal for a few years. Ah. To be 30 again. Rolling on 14" rims in my lowrider Oldsmobile convertible thru the Southern California sun. Those were high days. :)

So I went back to the drawing board. And started looking at Samurai's. But you can't find an automatic. And I wasn't going to drive a stick shift anymore. My back and LA traffic just couldn't take it. So I started looking at Jeeps. And Jeep TJ's fit the bill perfectly.

It actually was a wise financial decision. As it was easy to get into one. Granted mine needs alot of TLC just to get it to a nice semi stock configuration. But all those parts I bought were way cheaper than if they needed to be replaced in my 2007 Yukon. And most if not all of the upgrades can be done by me right in my garage. Or get done by someone else for a fair amount of cash. Rather than the high rates my Yukon needed to be repaired.

SO maybe the answer is to think about longevity of the vehicles you have. And which ones are going to take the least financial hit to keep going. I find the older I get the less traveling I do. Or at least I should say the most travel I do is usually around the city I live in. And then the occasional foray into the country. Although I'm sure this will change once we move back to the PNW. I'll have alot more opportunities to get out in the woods. Which is a main aim of our move. And eventual retirement.

But to back up a minute. One thing I learned in all the deaths. Is that I couldn't do it alone. I found a good therapist. And you'd be amazed how all the different aspects of your life change. When you semi figure out the big issues - like losing a child. I say semi because you never fully get past something like that. But it helps to learn how it affects your behavior today. And it affects everything.

One of my main goals for moving back to the PNW was to hunt and fish with my father. Well he died suddenly from ALS. He was a veteran and got great care from the VA. But those plans had to change. For a while I thought well maybe I just won't hunt or fish. But then the fire came back. And I have plans to hunt and fish with others.

It's hard after someone dies to see all the ways it's affecting your life. And I'm not saying to not sell your TJ. Just to make sure your selling it for all the right reasons. And not because your son died. I missed out on a lifetime of doing things with my boys. And for a while didn't think I would ever do anything. But somehow thru the use of a good therapist. I was able to reevaluate my life. Myself. And figure out what I wanted now. Because it all was changed by so many deaths.

Anyway. I think a good start is to park it someplace else. Take your time. Your conflicted. Get some insight into yourself. And the death of your child. And then start making life altering decisions. I hope this helps. That is my intention. I feel for you brother. I really do. It's not easy at all to lose a child or a loved one. It can have lasting effects. Even with something as simple as whether or not to sell a car.
I very much appreciate the different point of view, thank you. I will take your last point to heart, for sure. What made the loss of my son more difficult, if that is even possible, is I lost my mom the same day. I was at the hospital waiting for her to go to the recovery room when I got the call about my son Ryan. My mom never recovered from the surgery, and I had to deal with both deaths simultaneously. Not an easy task. Anyway, I will pull back for a while, re-evaluate the situation, and see about seeing someone who can help.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Life can certainly throw us some curve balls my friend. I've owned my TJ for a fair amount of time. I always tell folks "They'll bury me in this Jeep!". I don't offroad it as much as I used to, and getting older makes it tougher to wrench on it. One thing that helped me rekindle the TJ flame a bit was getting an RV. It widened the travel range greatly, and in comfort. One would say that getting an RV is not simplifying your life, but it kind of is. RV'ing is not for everyone, and heck, I thought I'd never own a land yacht, but having the capability of hooking up the toad and taking off for a weekend to explore just does it for me. Wish I could give better advise, and considered just not posting anything, but maybe it'll help. Whatever you do, live without regret. Life is too short.

As many here know, I'm a picture whore, so here's something for you to consider,

@glwood I am very sorry for your loss of your son and Mother. I don't have the words.
As I have been retired for almost 10 years now, I have great joy in seeing and exploring different parts of these United States that we live in. I get great enjoyment out of taking our small motorhome and seeing new country, and with the Jeep in tow and explore even more, parking the motorhome and using it as a base camp.
I know you will take your time in deciding on what to do about selling your Jeep. If you do decide to, then that's okay, moving on into another chapter of your life. What ever you decide, I wish you the best, just don't leave the forum.

You know I wonder if it's a progression most of us go through. When I was younger we wanted to go out to trails with what we thought was almost nothing. Then it would start to match stuff like we were told to pack in our Alice packs from when I was in ROTC. Next I tried to keep dwindle my pack down to nothing and actually had some great times doing this.

When I had to start holding down a desk, going on trips and coming home exhausted from crappy nights sleeps made me start going the other direction. 3/4 ton quad cab, long bed truck and sleeping in the back and starting to look at different types of trailers and bed inserts, but now I'd like to kind of back off the amount of gear in favor of a "minimalist" car camping rig from the Jeep. In any case I want to have comfortable nights, because going into work Monday am dead tired sucks.

In my teens and early 20s my dad and I would stay in a pickup bed camper during hunting season and it was a lot of fun, looking back and no 4x4 either so we had to plan ahead often and sometimes had to do some walking. We still have the camper and pickup, but it's in a field and doesn't drive and will require a lot of work. In my early 20's we started staying with my grandmother during hunting and scouting season to help take care of her as she had developed dementia and needed some help. Still great times, but there's something satisfying with the simplicity of some off-grid nights in any fashion.

I didn't do a damn thing with my TJ last year. The fam and I had too much on our plate! A little one arriving, moving, and a few other things as well. It was extremely difficult to find time to do anything Jeep-related.

I say take the lack of interest and let it ride for a little bit. There's no reason to force yourself to do something with your TJ, especially if you don't feel like you'll enjoy it. Your TJ will stick around and wait for you!

IF I wanted something more comfortable for the highway.....
I'd be inclined to go this way...

This sold at Mecum Auctions this year for under $20K.
Perfect, original, low mileage.

If you put that picture up to your ear you can hear Seals & Crofts coming from the 8 track player!

"Familiarity breeds contempt". I know you've heard that one before. And while your history of owning so many Jeeps for so many years may not have bred actual contempt, I can't help but wonder if it hasn't contributed to some level of boredom with the vehicles. And lest you think I'm way off base, please allow me to share why I think as I do.

Many years ago, I was a "Mopar or no car" guy. If it didn't have the Chrysler Pentastar somewhere on it, I didn't own it. And what was worse, I was locked into the A-body cars. In fact, I owned and drove thirteen of them, all being '67 to '76 model years. What this meant was I was looking at the same dash configuration...the same instrumentation...the same quirks...for every new acquisition I made. Finally, after almost a dozen years of this, I was burned out. I sold everything I had, and I started over...with Ramblers, of all things.

For almost fifteen years, I was active in my local Rambler/AMC car club. Car shows, tech nights, contributing to the club newsletter, etc. Everything I did revolved around Ramblers. But like with the Mopars, I just got tired of seeing the same old stuff over and over again. I got tired of all the conversations about 'em, too. Unfortunately, it seemed that most of the other club members were experiencing the same thing. This lead to the club dissolving, and most folks selling off their cars.

The idea of parking your TJ for a bit, and using it sparingly until your retirement happens, seems like a good idea to me. It'll give you a break from it. Drive something else on a more regular basis. Save the TJ for more exclusive duties, and leave the mundane for transportation vehicles. Let it return to being the "escape" it once was. Perhaps once you retire, you'll find the TJ once again brings back some of the excitement of wandering about.

Finally, you'll notice that I've said nothing with regards to how the loss of your son could/would affect any of this. I do not feel qualified to speak on the issue, as I have never experienced a loss such as yours. That does not exclude me from keeping you in my thoughts and prayers regarding it, however, which I shall do, @glwood. And regardless of what direction you go with all this, I'd like to say that you're one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much. I thank you for that.

"Familiarity breeds contempt". I know you've heard that one before. And while your history of owning so many Jeeps for so many years may not have bred actual contempt, I can't help but wonder if it hasn't contributed to some level of boredom with the vehicles. And lest you think I'm way off base, please allow me to share why I think as I do.

Many years ago, I was a "Mopar or no car" guy. If it didn't have the Chrysler Pentastar somewhere on it, I didn't own it. And what was worse, I was locked into the A-body cars. In fact, I owned and drove thirteen of them, all being '67 to '76 model years. What this meant was I was looking at the same dash configuration...the same instrumentation...the same quirks...for every new acquisition I made. Finally, after almost a dozen years of this, I was burned out. I sold everything I had, and I started over...with Ramblers, of all things.

For almost fifteen years, I was active in my local Rambler/AMC car club. Car shows, tech nights, contributing to the club newsletter, etc. Everything I did revolved around Ramblers. But like with the Mopars, I just got tired of seeing the same old stuff over and over again. I got tired of all the conversations about 'em, too. Unfortunately, it seemed that most of the other club members were experiencing the same thing. This lead to the club dissolving, and most folks selling off their cars.

The idea of parking your TJ for a bit, and using it sparingly until your retirement happens, seems like a good idea to me. It'll give you a break from it. Drive something else on a more regular basis. Save the TJ for more exclusive duties, and leave the mundane for transportation vehicles. Let it return to being the "escape" it once was. Perhaps once you retire, you'll find the TJ once again brings back some of the excitement of wandering about.

Finally, you'll notice that I've said nothing with regards to how the loss of your son could/would affect any of this. I do not feel qualified to speak on the issue, as I have never experienced a loss such as yours. That does not exclude me from keeping you in my thoughts and prayers regarding it, however, which I shall do, @glwood. And regardless of what direction you go with all this, I'd like to say that you're one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much. I thank you for that.
Excellent ideas, and thank you for the compliments.

I do have a lot of priceless memories of Jeep rides with my son through the years.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I have sold several cars over the years. These are the three I would like back: a 67 S code mustang GT with a 428 CJ swapped in place of the original 390. A 72 911s that I sold to put new windows in the house. And the one I miss the most a very modified 69 Bronco that I spent a lot of time off road in with the local 4x4 club I belonged to. These days I use my TJ for back and forth to work, running errands etc. All the roads we used to spend time on around here are closed during the snow season, so other than summer not much off roading available. But it's paid for, easy to work on and I love how well it gets around tight quarters downtown.
I think the TJ's have the potential to come up in value and popularity, like my beloved Bronco, Land Cruisers and CJ7's.
I agree on parking your TJ for a while before you part with it. It might be the one down the road you wish you had kept.

B

Reactions: glwood
There is a time and season for everything man. I think it’s normal for you to be looking beyond Jeeps. You’ve had many, done tons and it could just be time to move on. I’ve always appreciated your comments on the forum and I probably spend too much time on here too. But many of you (including you) I consider friends from afar. Every wick comes to the end of the wax. If you sell you’ll know soon enough whether that time has come for you.

OR (I’m enabling here) build it up big man! You know the saying, “Go big or go home!” Sure would miss you if you left WTJF.

glwood.....Just joined the site and your post caught my eye for some reason. Just read every word of the 3 pages of responses, and I wanted my first post on this forum to say to you that I’m deeply sorry for your losses. You are obviously a beloved member of this forum. As a complete NEWB, I hope you decide to stick around with or without your Jeep!

I know a guy who's been retired for years and rather well off. Lovely chap and he came out with this gem on his view on the world one day.

He stated that he always invests in a car that interesting and then never sells it and if you're a car guy, your cars will live with you through life's ups and downs and sometimes you'll hate them but you'll always come back to them. Sell one and sometime in the future, you'll regret that decision. He's in his 80's now and if he's not laughing at cruising for old ladies at the shops in his vintage Bentley he's doing track days in his 911 or Lotus.

There's also a thing in Australia about buying a 4wd and a caravan on retirement and doing a lap of the country. One couple I knew though bugger that and bought a used 911 and took off and stayed in pubs and motels. They had a ball and thinking outside of the box worked a treat in their experience.

Understand some of your thoughts though, my TJ was my Mums, when she passed away Dad didn't want it so I took it over. It was then, my partners daily, and when she passed away 12 months ago I kind of looked at it and thought, maybe its time to get rid of the thing. So glad I didn't and even when I don't drive it for whatever reason it brings a smile to my face when I see it sitting parked. It's been used by those that I loved and as such for the foreseeable future I can't think why I'd part with it. My TJ evokes so many good memories for me, it is part of the family.

glwood.....Just joined the site and your post caught my eye for some reason. Just read every word of the 3 pages of responses, and I wanted my first post on this forum to say to you that I’m deeply sorry for your losses. You are obviously a beloved member of this forum. As a complete NEWB, I hope you decide to stick around with or without your Jeep!
Very nice of you to take the time to not only read through this all, but also I'm honored your first post is in regard to this. Welcome to the forum. You won't regret signing on.

Reactions: CopInDixie