Need some help regarding O2 sensors on for Sippy

badlieutenant

TJ Addict
alright gents, so I'm thinking its time to change out the O2 sensors on my 2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon. I'm attaching two pictures... one of the pictures is a diagram with the engine and where the O2 sensors go. The second picture is the O2 sensors.

Will someone please tell me what location these sensors go? Like, if someone would spell it out for me.. for example, 23018 goes in position 1 in that diagram, 23160 goes in position 2... and so on.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully changing these out gets rid of my P0421 and P0152.

40L O2 Sensor Locations.jpg

Oxygen Sensors.jpg

Reactions: DougB
I'm not sure how you found that Jerry, I looked forever!

Definitely going to bookmark this thread.

I've been trying to do some research on this because I just got a P0138 code the other day. Does the diagram reflect the emissions for California (4 O2 sensors instead of 2)?

Jerry! Thank you so much!

One concern I have though is that your diagram is showing different part numbers than what I've found.

Please advise!

Ps. I owe you a beer

edit: the PN's I'm referring to are written on the boxes on my first pic
They went and changed 02 sensor model numbers on later models Badlieutenant, sorry about that.
For your 2006:
Subsitute the below NTI part numbers for what's in the above illustration
#1 NTK #23159 (front downstream)
#2 NTK #23018 (front upstream)
#3 NTK #23160 (rear upstream)
#4 NTK #23158 (rear downstream)

Those are all different from what my 04 takes too. My best advice is to go to www.rockauto.com and plug your model year and engine in to assure you're getting the right 02 sensor. Stick with NTK, other brands like Bosch can cause problems.

Reactions: DougB and Chris
They went and changed 02 sensor model numbers on later models Badlieutenant, sorry about that.
For your 2006:
Subsitute the below NTI part numbers for what's in the above illustration
#1 NTK #23159 (front downstream)
#2 NTK #23018 (front upstream)
#3 NTK #23160 (rear upstream)
#4 NTK #23158 (rear downstream)

Those are all different from what my 04 takes too. My best advice is to go to www.rockauto.com and plug your model year and engine in to assure you're getting the right 02 sensor. Stick with NTK, other brands like Bosch can cause problems.

Thanks Jerry!!!

Reactions: Stinger
Replacing cat pipe and 4 sensors on my 06 LJ today and this was exactly what I needed! Had the NTK sensors from RockAuto.com but just needed to know what went where.

Thanks y'all!!

Wow. Glad someone else buys and holds parts like me! ️

I had the P0431 code for the past year and inspection is coming up so I had to get it taken care of. The cats were toast with 214k miles on the clock. One was completely gone as in not there any longer. Other was about 75% still there.

After replacing the cats and O2s I drove it about 3-4 times before the MIL/CEL turned off. The P0431 code shows still stored but no codes pending, MIL/CEL off, and all monitors ready so headed to inspection station this week.

I went with the Eastern Catalytic cat pipe part number 20379 from www.RockAuto.com and it fit very well. And 4 new NTK O2s as everyone has recommended on this forum and many other Wrangler forums.

Old cats
image.jpeg image.jpeg

New cat pipe before and after installation
image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

NTK O2 sensors
image.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Oops! Now I know better.

That one didn't come up in my Google image search but Jerry's image did so I ressurected a 2 year old thread.