Need suggestions for a solid work bench

@Chris If you go looking for lumber and get disgusted by the lumber quality of the “big box” stores, try these guys in Phoenix.

https://www.heldtlumber.com/
I found great quality 4x4s when I built this portable bar for my son’s NASCAR camp.
F120F547-10EB-4B04-AE76-F66ED7ADA57B.jpeg

@Chris If you go looking for lumber and get disgusted by the lumber quality of the “big box” stores, try these guys in Phoenix.

https://www.heldtlumber.com/
I found great quality 4x4s when I built this portable bar for my son’s NASCAR camp.
View attachment 203920
I’ll probably take you up on that. Anytime I go to the big box stores I am usually disappointed with a lot of the lumber they have. You have to sort through it forever just to find good pieces.

No, no, no. Anything with a spanning plywood top is going to be "bouncy" to one degree or another. If that's OK, that's ok. If not, use 2x4s for the ENTIRE top, then cover with plywood or masonite.
View attachment 203887
This will be "dead" if you're beating on something. Only thing better is something made of half inch or better steel.
Four layers of 3/4 baltic birch plywood laminated together on some really cool (IMO) cast iron legs.
I can chop a 1/2” mortise in oak and I assure you there is no deflection.
6698510C-0F14-4C49-B726-A3202094A4BB.jpeg

The mass of this bench holds it in place during hand plane work as well.

Another option is to order a piece of butcher block (HD has online) counter and some decent steel legs from Amazon. The butcher block in maple makes a real nice hard work surface and is not overly expensive, a 6 foot section ran me $249.

Just for giggles and shitz keep an eye on your local FB Marketplace and you may run across something nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair and jgaz
Four layers of 3/4 baltic birch plywood laminated together on some really cool (IMO) cast iron legs.
I can chop a 1/2” mortise in oak and I assure you there is no deflection.
View attachment 203923

The mass of this bench holds it in place during hand plane work as well.
That'll work! The 2x4 suggestion is fast, easy, and cheap - and beats half inch plywood over a frame. Obviously, anything that is a couple or 3 inches worth of solid wood would be similar although perhaps more expensive. Like anything else, one can spend as much as one likes!!

Reactions: jgaz
I ended up making my own with a butcher block top made out of 2x4's, then layered some mdf on top. I can sand down the mdf or replace easily and with the 2x4 constructed top, it weights a ton, doesn't move, and I can pound on it with a sledgehammer if I want. It's lasted 20 years so far.

View attachment 203857
I saved your picture from another thread you posted it in. I like that cordless tool hanger and may try to do something similar. 👍

Another option is to order a piece of butcher block (HD has online) counter and some decent steel legs from Amazon. The butcher block in maple makes a real nice hard work surface and is not overly expensive, a 6 foot section ran me $249.

Just for giggles and shitz keep an eye on your local FB Marketplace and you may run across something nice.

Great idea. I’m stealing that for my next bench. My first, which I still have is made from 2x4’s and 3/4” plywood. My grandfather taught me how to build it one day when he was over showing me how to build a fence and deck (25 years back).

It has worked well for my uses but the deflection is not something I thought I could solve with wood.

Good to know!!!!

Reactions: TJ4Jim
My work bench was built as a layout table for McDonnell Douglas, guessing around the 50's, 4 ft. X 12ft., 4 X 4 legs, 2 X 6 framing at the perimeter, 1" plywood on top with a one piece 1/8" plate steel top, plenty of 2 X 4 cross bracing. I've had it for close to 45 years and its going strong, beat on it, weld on it, will probably be an item in my will. Make them out of the best material you can fit into your budget, and fit into your available space, as they say, buy once and be happy forever. ( not a one person item to move )

I need suggestions on a solid work bench which has some weight to it and preferably isn't made with a cheap, thin metal base.

I was looking at this one for instance:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-72-in-W-x-41-25-in-H-Wood-Work-Bench/1000462545
If you see the customer reviews, you can see that something like that will damage and dent easily.

I want to put a vise on it, and it needs to be something that has enough weight that it will stay in place incase I decide to really put the vice to work.

Any input or suggestions would be great.
I have the longer version of that bench, 96". It's about 3 or 4 years old now and has held up great.

Reactions: Rick Flair
I have the longer version of that bench, 96". It's about 3 or 4 years old now and has held up great.

It seems like it would be so light that if you attached a vise to it, put something in the vise, and gave it some good smacks with a BFH, that the work bench would just move about the place. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Reactions: Alex01
It seems like it would be so light that if you attached a vise to it, put something in the vise, and gave it some good smacks with a BFH, that the work bench would just move about the place. Am I wrong in thinking that?
Yes.

I have a vice on mine and have never had an issue.

20201106_215954.jpg

If you're getting really crazy with your hammer you could always add a stud to the ground and bolt the bench down but like I said, I've never had that issue and I use my vice quite often.

I made 2 of my own about 14 years ago using these plans. I strayed from them a little on the length. I made them 8 feet long each. Super simple to build and a sturdy/heavy as hell. They have been pounded on for years.

My son used the plans and made a 4 foot long one 5 or 6 years ago.

I wish I had made the bottom shelf about 1/4” higher though. If I had, I could slide a gallon cannot paint under them instead of putting them on the shelves.

I have some actual pictures of them that I can post when I get home from work.

View attachment 203883View attachment 203884View attachment 203885View attachment 203886

Here's a picture from 2005 when I built them. The red tool box is gone and they are slid together in an L shape. Still look the same just a little more worn and a lot more cluttered.

wbenches1.jpg