Need suggestions for a solid work bench

I made my main bench out of an old pallet rack. It was easy to build and very inexpensive. Both the horizontal and vertical pieces come in various sizes but what I got was pretty standard. I have a shorter one that's about 5' long and I can assemble it in just a few minutes when I need it.

The one below is 10' long. It's free standing (not bolted to the wall or floor) and it doesn't budge. The verticals are 7' apart which is perfect for putting 3 standard 27" wide tool chests and 2 standard file cabinets underneath it. The surface is 30" deep 1/8" steel on top of four pine 2x10's. I've had engines (not Jeep!), transmissions, axles, etc. on it with no problems at all.

It was easy to set the height of the bench; just cut the vertical rack to a what's comfortable. The rule of thumb (taken with a grain of salt) is that you want to set the top of your vice by bending your elbow and extending your fore arm horizontally so that your hand sits flat on top of it. I set this one for my Record No.4 vice. The one shown is a Record No.6 and it's a bit high but OK. I also have a Record No.8 and it's way too high to work with comfortably. Also, when you install your vice, clamp a piece of stock in it vertically; a 2x4 works well. Push the vice back so the stock hits the front face of the bench and then pull it back toward you by about a half an inch. Sounds pretty basic BUT I've seen many guys install their vice too far back on the bench and then realize they can't use it properly. Ever seen a bench with a lot of empty holes around the vice? That's usually why. :cry:

DSC_0164.JPG

Last edited:
Unless u need something custom fitted. I would look at cl and offerup. For work benches or even welding tables. My father got a massive welding table for next to nothing. You'd be surprised what older ovrrbuilt tables there are out there for cheap.

Bought the steel for the one I will be starting on this weekend. It will have steel legs, a 1/4" steel plate top 2'X5', supported with 3" channel and 2x2x1/4 angle. Will mount a box leg vice on it. Should be heavy enough. Will try to remember to post pictures. Might take a couple weekends.

Reactions: TJ Starting
I got lucky when I bought my house, the orginal owner built this bench/shelf in the garage. 20ft of carpeted work bench with a vice. (Please forgive the mess, just got done painting the garage recently and I'm lazy lol)

20201124_184233.jpg

But even with all that I'm still thinking about get a metal work bench with some draws, a light and some outlets down the road for somewhere in the garage

51db72d2-8827-47b1-a82d-1da2d695abdd_1.5bdb94e870a3a8425faaa4917f303125.jpeg

You guys have a different idea about stuff than I do, I have one table that is made from 3” cast iron with t-slots and is 3x4’ with cast iron legs with 2 Vise’s on it and weigh about 600#. Another table is made from 1-1/4” x4’x14” steel with 3” pipe legs, use that as my beat on anything table. Third table I have is 10” 4x6’ granite slab that is accurate flat to 50 millionths of an inch which I can use to measure anything precision, it has 3x3x1/4” legs.

poplular mechanics has plans for an Uber sturdy table that you make from a glue lam set on edge, it can be made 2-6 inches thick, legs are glued multiple layers, the layers make it strong and stiff and not move.
global industrial also carries maple top tables, legs are strong enough to hold my drill presses and belt sanders with a bunch of crap on them.
crap I have a lot of tables...

https://www.grizzly.com/products/south-bend-cast-iron-workbench-legs/sb1354

Last edited:
I made a bench top using glue lam as you suggested.
I got the laminations as close to lined up on the top edge as I could.
Still needed to plane it some to get it flat enough for woodworking.
Holy shit, is that stuff hard on a plane blade!

I ended up taking it to a mill work shop and having it sanded flat. They charged me more because of all the glue lines, YRMV.

In the end I didn’t like it for woodworking but it was stiff as heck!
The edges of the 3/4” dog holes splintered quite badly when I used a hold fast
Ended up selling the top to a buddy that put a steel plate on it. Worked great that way.

My woodworking bench has cast legs from Lee Valley. I love the look and the function.
1B31D78B-E904-43A6-B288-28D78416B78F.jpeg

Steel bench is done. 1/4" steel plate top. 3" channel and 2x2x1/4 angle iron bracing, 2x2x1/4 tube legs. Wood covered shelf for carbide chop saw set so saw is level to table top, wood covered so cuttings can be picked up with magnet. Height just enough to slide anvil underneath. Box leg vice sets into bracket bolted to floor. Bench is lag bolted to studs in the wall. Seems pretty solid.
steel bench.jpg

Nope, not yet.
Here’s another idea if the 100 prior weren’t enough😂... either goto a restaurant supply store or a closing down or closed down restaurant.. and get the stainless steel tables .. come in all different sizes... solid legs, fairly cheap compared to HD and Lowe’s stuff.. I made one for my buddy with a left over table from the restaurant .. I wish I had a pic but it’s waist height, about 6’ long and 36” deep

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Here’s another idea if the 100 prior weren’t enough😂... either goto a restaurant supply store or a closing down or closed down restaurant.. and get the stainless steel tables .. come in all different sizes... solid legs, fairly cheap compared to HD and Lowe’s stuff.. I made one for my buddy with a left over table from the restaurant .. I wish I had a pic but it’s waist height, about 6’ long and 36” deep
Just got one of those myself but am using it on my back patio inbetween the smoker and gas grill. I think 'most' of those you'd have to strengthen a bit somehow to use as a workbench and be able to pound on, attach a vise, etc. but the tabletops are definitely nice to make a mess on.