Never doing mud again

@Nucklenelson was at the San Gabriel OHV area. It’s at the end of the reservoir. I used to go there and watch the heavy’s try and stuck themselves by dipping into the reservoir, extra thick out there. There used to be a guy that had a PTO winch for extraction. Sometimes it would take a chain of trucks all hooked up to get the really stuck ones out. Good times, especially when I got invited to their “beach-side” BBQ, those Azusa 4WD club guys ares serious(gangsters) about their food and 4x4’s.
It gets pretty crazy its fun watching though

Car wash??? Heck back in the 80's we were banned from 3-4 car washes because we stopped their drains up!!!! So we would slip in to them around 1am when the owners were in bed :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: of course we had dedicated mud trucks also. Only mudded in my CJ one time, took forever to get the mud out of it, inside and outside!!!!

If you do any wheeling after you move out east, you'll need to deal with mud. Unless you keep the Jeep in Cali and fly out to go wheeling... Anything easy of the Mississippi will be muddy. Not 100 percent, but there will be puddles and pits. Slippery climbs, waterfalls with actual water in them.
This is true to an extent, but unless you are mud bogging it's not hard to clean off.

Returning from Hole in the Rock west side. Should have shot the back up we passed at #4, but was late and a comfy bed was awaiting us 40 miles ahead in Escalante at our paid up AirB&B. Windshield totally covered and I could only tell we were moving forward by looking out driver side window. One of the stranded drivers said a front end loader was called. We never saw one on the way out. The airB&B had a high pressure hose and graveled area perfect for what we needed to do. The 4th pond was Bentonite. An hour later a lot of beeritas were consumed at the back yard firepit.

#3of4JKUR.png

Attachments

• #1of4.mp4
    1.5 MB
  • #2of4.mp4
    1,010.6 KB
Last edited:
Well for my BEST mud story it wasn't in a Jeep.

I was stationed at Ft Ord, CA before it was closed and use to go up to Hollister Hills ORV Park to play. I had a 1986.5 Nissan Hardbody p/u. I'd bought it when I was stationed at APG, MD. I was running 35" old school Wranglers and the park had just been used for a event where they'd wetted down a few trails. So my truck was DIRTY. I had gotten so much mud into my alternator that it stopped charging.
So I spent the night there and luckily for me met someone who would run me into town the next morning.
For a parts store open on Sunday and bought a rebuild kit since they didn't have a new alternator in stock. Got the rig running again and drove back to base. This was back when you had a base sticker in your windshield. So I pulled up to the gate and the MP is trying to look through my drivers window but can't see me. So I had to get out of the truck and scrap the mud off the windshield so he could see my sticker. It was a big laugh for everyone at the gate.

They all remember my truck after that.

I had gotten so much mud into my alternator that it stopped charging.
So I spent the night there and luckily for me met someone who would run me into town the next morning.
For a parts store open on Sunday and bought a rebuild kit since they didn't have a new alternator in stock.
That problem can normally be easily fixed by doing nothing more than rinsing all the mud out with a hose, then flooding the alternator's internals with a copious amount of WD-40 which gets rid of the remaining moisture. :)

Reactions: HardSell
That problem can normally be easily fixed by doing nothing more than rinsing all the mud out with a hose, then flooding the alternator's internals with a copious amount of WD-40 which gets rid of the remaining moisture. :)

There wasn't a hose available and I'd destroyed the brushes.
But yes I've done the rinse and WD40 after the fact.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Even if you go up to the mountains (yes small eastern mountains 😁) you will still be dealing with muddy rocks very slippery and more mud lol unless you take a long wheeling trip out west
At the same time, the mountains aren't mud pits, yes we have wet, slick rocks and some light mud, nothing like South GA, Mississippi, Louisiana and such.

Reactions: JeepNWilly